Tool chest recommendations

red02tj

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Any recommendations for a metal tool chest? Thinking 5 drawers $200 ish price range.

There was a recent discussion about this on one of the motorcycle forums I visit. A lot of people have said the "higher end" Harbor Freight were decent pieces for the price, otherwise look at craigslist for used older Craftsman, Snap-On, or other big names.

Reactions: matkal
Portable for home garage. Was looking at the craftsman stuff at Lowe’s. https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...wer-Steel-Rolling-Tool-Cabinet-Red/1000462557
I bought this on sale for $279 within a week of Christmas last year and it is a decent piece that matches the rest of my boxes, the current price was the same as last year before the markdown. Don't sell yourself short for a box to small, the contents seem to breed when the drawers are closed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4...s-Black-with-Hardwood-Top-H46MWC9XD/303101236

I have close to $50k invested in tools, I wont buy their tools but when i see a guy with a ~$200 dollar budget for a box, i think they offer the highest quality tool storage for the price.
Fair enough & I appreciate you taking the time to make a recommendation. I’m just used to everyone dumping on them but looks like I should check it out.

Reactions: John Cooper
Their new Icon line of tools is pretty nice. Its comparable to Gearwrench and Tekton, both companies i would recommend to anyone. I dont think their sockets and wrenches are really that bad. i would pass on their ratchets and power tools.

Reactions: red02tj
My work got a few HF chests a couple years ago. They don’t get wheeled around much but considering they are stationary 99% of the time, they seem pretty good for the price. I’ve not seen any loose/wobbly drawers. And the drawers open and close as smooth as when they were new, granted only a couple years old.

Reactions: red02tj
HF has several different levels of stuff. Their cheapest "cart" is garbage. I bought a nicer but not Icon lower drawer and upper matching chest. It is red but I think they might have several colors. I don't believe the 20% coupons work on took storage but they have specific coupons for those. I believe I got it on sale for like $330 total?

Anyways, ball bearing drawers strong enough for my then 4 year old to sit on and still move in and out smoothly. I was looking at the Craftsman stuff at the same time and price point to price point the HF stuff was WAY nicer. I wouldn't think twice about buying again. As a matter of fact, I probably will soon. Like was mentioned above, my tools have been breeding like rabbits while the doors are closed. I thought it was overkill when I bought it until I brought it home and started filling it up. Get twice as big a box as you think you need.

One precaution: I bought a "Stanley" from Walmart. Nicely made, seems rugged enough, good price, etc, etc. BUT - there's no interlock on the drawers, you can open multiple drawers at the same time. Most home garage floors have a slight slope, and the toolbox is located against the back wall. The very smooth gliding ball bearing drawer slides ended up causing ALL the drawers to roll forward which overbalanced the thing and I had a mess. I had to get son in law over to help me get it back upright, and thank Goddess the car wasn't in the garage at the time. I since have secured it with two short lengths of chain from the top to the wall - and yes, this mod has already saved my bacon once. In short, its a safety hazard, even on a level floor.

I keep it locked to keep the drawers from sliding open, chained up or no.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for a metal tool chest? Thinking 5 drawers $200 ish price range.

Don't rule out used. There are good deals out there. I bought my first box used, a mid 60's Snap-on upper chest in 1969. I bought the matching roller cabinet for it 40 years later! I'm not suggesting you go that old but tool boxes become "old" to some people and they're always upgrading, matching one to another, etc. even going for a colour change.

Some people have a tool problem the same way we have a Jeep problem. As it turns out many of many of us people with a Jeep problem also have a tool problem lol.
Yeah. This is my first Jeep. The amount of tools “I need” has grown proportionally to the further down the rabbit hole I go.