Tool chest recommendations

Some people have a tool problem the same way we have a Jeep problem. As it turns out many of many of us people with a Jeep problem also have a tool problem lol.
I honestly believe the conditions are one in the same, usually starts with taking things apart (my original symptom at about 3 years old) then tools to put them back together, eventually over time the condition can mutate to include Jeeps and similar things to take apart and play with.

Reactions: THEREALJIM
X2 for the harbor freight is general cart above. I’ve had mine for about 10 years and it still functions as it did new. Not sure if they make them differently now. I find it highly useful wheeling it to where I’m working.

I also made this 4’x8’ wheeling cart for assembly of things and additional tool storage in bottom... I might have $60 in it and most of that was in wheels. I found it useful for automotive and woodworking projects. It might be another option for you and a lot cheaper. Lockers are also another good option. I have several full length lockers I bought from a school or church for $50. Made wooden shelves to go inside them and keep ammo cases of nuts, bolts, washers etc in it.
2246EAC9-30FE-4DDE-B6AC-3D4590C2F62A.jpeg

Reactions: PCO6
It's also good to look for used industrial tool cabinets if you can find them. I picked up a used Lista 4 drawer box (2x4" deep and 2x8" deep) for $100 CDN ($75 US) that's incredibly strong and has full extension drawers. I used it as the foundation for my welding table. Some other good ones are Rosseau, Vidmar, Kennedy, Equipto and no doubt others.

Sub'd. I'd like to cut my work bench in half and replace it with a chest. The peg board I have is old school and looks nice, but I think a chest is more practical. I've heard and read great things on the HF General II chests/boxes.

The HF US General series boxes are awesome. My dad has had one for the last 10-15 years and it's held up great. This is the toolbox I grew up working out of. I just got one for xmas and am equally as impressed with it. The quality over the cheaper husky brand ones is night and day.

I've had some problems with an inexpensive roll away that I bought a number of years ago. The drawers can't hold the weight and the ball bearing sliders have started to fail. I'm planning on replacing it with a Craftsman from Lowes with drawers rated for 100 pounds.

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-...30-in-5-drawer-mechanics-cart-blue-64031.html
I have a big old Craftsman set up that I store my main tools in. I did pick up one of these HF carts and set it up as general service cart specific to the jeep. I have been happy with it. I added the side shelf, glove holder, and paper towel holder. It has been a good mobile option around the shop or in the drive way.
I'm a big fan of that tool box. Used mine almost daily for work for over 4 years now. Got the side folding shelf, added a bracket on the back of it to store my shop fan and made a few brackets to hold my work boots on the side. Now I have 2 or 3 coworkers that have the same models. I liked it enough I picked one up for my garage when they were on sale a while ago

I got the same "mechanics cart" but mine is red, not crazy about the red, I have the shiny red. The cart itself is pretty good. It rolls easy and the drawers are smooth and latch. Mine has a release to open the drawers, that's good and bad, kind of pain every time you want to open the drawer youhave to release the catch, but it doesnt open when your pushing the cart around.
I have had mine for a number of year with no problems, I like the cart so much I thought i would get one for each of my Grandsons.

I have the Harbor Freight series 2 44” upper and lower. Can’t beat it for the price. Much nicer quality then price comparable units at Lowe’s or Home Depot.
Well built. Good smooth drawers.

View attachment 214908

View attachment 214909

Looks good in green. This is what I plan to pick up, my junk craftsman is tired, old and too small for my tools.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck