Torque lite OBDII app

Capt Keith

Good morning - my first post on this site. I'm definitely a noob, so bear with me. First I need to thank everyone for an awesome forum. Just tons of great information here.

I just purchased a 2005 Rubicon with 155,000 miles and the 42RLE automatic transmission. So far we absolutely love it. I have no maintenance history on the Jeep so I am starting from scratch. I had a check engine light come on the first week with code P2098. Have been reading everything on this site about the possible causes and the O2 sensors. I did replace the O2 sensor myself with a brand new NTK, but it did not fix the problem. I have an appointment next week at a local shop to see if they can identify the reason for the code. I have looked for the possible causes as @Chris posted, but have not been successful.

"Things that can cause a P2098 code include:
  • Low fuel pressure caused by a clogged filter, failing fuel pump, failed fuel pressure regulator or clogged or leaking injectors.
  • Rough running engine due to misfiring plugs. Many engines have misfire codes to indicate the cylinder effected, such as P0307 for number 7.
  • A large vacuum leak would cause a massive amount of un-metered air to enter the intake manifold resulting in an overly lean mixture.
  • A large air leak at or near the number one oxygen sensor would also cause a lean mixture.
  • A plugged converter will cause of host of driveability problems as well as set this code. A severely plugged converter will result in the inability to increase rpm when under load. Look for a code such as P0421 — catalytic converter efficiency below threshold if the converter indicating a faulty converter.
  • A faulty oxygen sensor. This will set a code in itself, however, a faulty oxygen sensor does not automatically condemn the sensor. The code just means that the sensor signal was not within specifications. An air leak or any of the above will cause an erroneous signal. There is a multitude of O2 codes relating to O2 performance which gives a clue to the problematic area.
  • Rusty exhaust systems, cracked exhaust manifolds or damaged or missing gaskets or donuts will cause air leaks."

Now for the question: I just purchased the PanLong Mini OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner. I also downloaded the Torque Lite App to start. I may upgrade to the Torque Pro App depending on the feedback I receive here. I was wondering if there are several gauges that Jeep owners tend to monitor and if so, what are the proper ranges for them. I come from a "boating" background and monitoring engine performance and having a baseline of data is key to identifying potential problems and issue before they get to a critical phase. I appreciate any insight you can provide.

Jeep Beach.jpg

Jeep Hardtop.jpg

Reactions: AndrewLJR
Personally, I prefer OBD Fusion app. I find the free torque app a bit clunky.

Torque pro for me.

First screen is boost, throttle, speed, coolant temp, mpg, revs, DTE, and fuel flow. Second screen is speed diff, intake temps, city/hwy %, MPG average, and timing. Third screen fuel status. 4th screen are useless apps; 0-60 mph, 1/4m time, 1/8m time and max HP.

I have Torque Pro. It’s useful for quite a few different things, even just little things like temperatures, throttle position, etc. I’ve never really used it for fuel/air ratios or anything similar, so I couldn’t give any feedback there. Google Play has allowed me to transfer the license between several phones as they get replaced.

Have been using Infocar add the last few weeks. So far I like it better then the Torque Pro. But this week has an issue, both were used to scan for codes. It shows no codes found. But has to be a few. 2.5L in my TJ almost quit on me. Taking off then picked up and ran fine the rest of the week.

IAT, volts, rpm, throttle position, ECT, altitude, MAP, LTFT (banks 1 and 2) for starters.