Torque Wrench Suggestions?

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey everyone!

Do you have any suggestions (brand or anything) for a torque wrench? I need it mostly for fluid changes, but any other possible use too.

[TD valign="middle"]
Component
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Part
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Nm
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
ftlb
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Engine​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Oil Pan Drain Plug​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
27​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
20​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Engine​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Oil Filter​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
20​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
15​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Transmission​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Drain & Fill Plug​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
34​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
25​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Transfer Case​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Drain & Fill Plug​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
20-34​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
15-20​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Differential​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Fill Plug​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
34​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
25​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Differential​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Cover Bolt​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
41​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
30​
[/TD]

So, I am interested in a Torque Wrench, not too expensive, as reliable as possible, that I can easily torque correctly the above components.

Hey everyone!

Do you have any suggestions (brand or anything) for a torque wrench? I need it mostly for fluid changes, but any other possible use too.

[TD valign="middle"]
Component
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Part
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Nm
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
ftlb
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Engine​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Oil Pan Drain Plug​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
27​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
20​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Engine​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Oil Filter​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
20​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
15​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Transmission​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Drain & Fill Plug​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
34​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
25​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Transfer Case​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Drain & Fill Plug​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
20-34​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
15-20​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Differential​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Fill Plug​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
34​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
25​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Differential​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Cover Bolt​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
41​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
30​
[/TD]

So, I am interested in a Torque Wrench, not too expensive, as reliable as possible, that I can easily torque correctly the above components.
Harbor Freight

Save your money and tighten them all by hand. All of the plugs should be snug (tighten if they leak), the filter should be finger tight or else it's a pain to remove later, the cover should be tight.

Reactions: pagrey and qslim
Save your money and tighten them all by hand. All of the plugs should be snug (tighten if they leak), the filter should be finger tight or else it's a pain to remove later, the cover should be tight.

Before the torque wrench, my defition of snug resulted in snapped lugs on 3 wheels.

Torque wrench is a must learning tool.

Reactions: Apparition and TJim
I got mine off of amazon payed less then 100 bucks for it and it works great. Does all the way form 20 to 250. I’ll grab the brand and a pic in a min

Reactions: TJim
I've bought cheap torque wrenches before and I've spent a lot of money fixing what they break. Save up for a nice set.
Before the torque wrench, my defition of snug resulted in snapped lugs on 3 wheels.

Torque wrench is a must learning tool.

Get a shorter handled wrench.

Also, NPT thread on most of those plugs aren't going to seat at the same depth after repeatedly torquing. A wrench should be used to see if they need to be replaced/wrapped without just torquing and calling good.

I don't torque any of those on the list, but definitely my lug nuts.

0-75 will be more accurate, but then you'll need 2, one for higher torques.
I have a Craftsman, and a Husky (I think).

Last edited:
I am also using my snug fit tight arms for years now and is still well self calibrated.
By the way I learned how to use it since I was 12 years old in the island. So I say it's all good.

I've bought cheap torque wrenches before and I've spent a lot of money fixing what they break. Save up for a nice set.

Get a shorter handled wrench.

Also, NPT thread on most of those plugs aren't going to seat at the same depth after repeatedly torquing. A wrench should be used to see if they need to be replaced/wrapped without just torquing and calling good.

Are you proposing a competition?
If so, 50 subjects, 25 for me and 25 for you.
My group will use my advise, which is "Yes to a torque wrench"
Yours will go with the "feeling".

At the end of the project we will see which group stripped/snapped/cracked most bolts and parts.

Anyone wants to donate their Jeep?

I have the old beam style craftsman (only a few years old). While it can be difficult to tell the difference between say 57 and 58ft lbs, I feel that for the money it’s nearly the most reliable out there.

May be in the market for a newer style for fine tuning torque settings

Reactions: PCO6 and Cornbread
I have the old beam style craftsman (only a few years old). While it can be difficult to tell the difference between say 57 and 58ft lbs, I feel that for the money it’s nearly the most reliable out there.

May be in the market for a newer style for fine tuning torque settings

Same here, nothing wrong with the old beam/needle style, it works well with lug nuts and higher torques. They work well with larger bolts, because lets be honest 1 ft*lb will never matter. I bought a 3/8" drive "clicker style" back when Sears would have great black friday deals, I like it a lot for the smaller stuff. Works well for critical bolts like head studs, oil pan bolts, etc and stuff the OP mentioned. Typically the stuff the OP mentioned needs barely more than snugged, anymore and you're flirting with disaster. If you never did any mechanical work beyond what's mentioned than I don't think you really need a torque wrench.

With time you will learn what size of wrench to and how to tighten bolts by "feel". There's nothing wrong with not using a torque wrench on most bolts if you know what you're doing, if not buy the wrench.

Reactions: PCO6
Strictly speaking from the aircraft maintenance world, if you're going to get a torque wrench then spend the money on a good one or else there's a very good chance you are pissing in the wind with the settings. We are required to get ours calibrated (and do so at NASA maint). You drop one, knock it on something, etc.. it gets re-calibrated.

You would be surprised how off most are right out of the box. No we're not flying airplanes where the tolerances and torque settings are as critical, but i'm just giving my opinion on a quality tool to have, not on the subject of how we should maintain our Jeeps.

Your definition of snug is very wrong then sir!
Say what bro?

funny-wildlife-photo-30-72694-38748-89626.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Cornbread
There are people here that are relatively new to 'wrenching' . . . . . a torque wrench will give them the feel and confidence to learn more. You may be an expert with wrenches but, some are not. A torque wrench should be used when aluminum is involved.

Reactions: TJim
This is a great example of why the metric system sucks. 25 foot pounds. Most of us have been to the gym, we know what 25lbs feels like. Most of us know how long a foot is, just look down. Put them together and you have 25 foot pounds. Now can anybody tell me what the hell I'm supposed to do with a newton?

fig.jpeg

(just kidding, I like the metric system just as much as newtons)

• Haha
Reactions: taylormade73
Are you proposing a competition?
If so, 50 subjects, 25 for me and 25 for you.
My group will use my advise, which is "Yes to a torque wrench"
Yours will go with the "feeling".

At the end of the project we will see which group stripped/snapped/cracked most bolts and parts.

Anyone wants to donate their Jeep?
not just snapped-- but leaks also

Strictly speaking from the aircraft maintenance world, if you're going to get a torque wrench then spend the money on a good one or else there's a very good chance you are pissing in the wind with the settings. We are required to get ours calibrated (and do so at NASA maint). You drop one, knock it on something, etc.. it gets re-calibrated.

You would be surprised how off most are right out of the box. No we're not flying airplanes where the tolerances and torque settings are as critical, but i'm just giving my opinion on a quality tool to have, not on the subject of how we should maintain our Jeeps.
+1
I use to work on military aircraft and depot level maint also- finished up working @ a nuclear industrial plant in the machine shop. I would suggest buying a good one. We used Proto @ the Nuclear facility. I purchased one off flea bay several years back for under a C note. Like others have said- most of what you need is pretty well a snug tight- anyone with mechanical skill & ability should know how to do that. They use to give us some lee-way on certain things citing " skill of the journeyman"

With time you will learn what size of wrench to and how to tighten bolts by "feel".
Imagine being told that by someone who took the wheels off your loved one’s car to inspect the brakes and then torqued the lug nuts with “time” and “feel.” 😂

Makes you wonder why automotive engineers waste their time putting together owners manuals with torque specs printed in them.