Torquing procedures

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
When you're torquing a nut and bolt, and have the option to put the torque wrench on either the nut or the bolt, which do you do?

If possible, I always choose to use the torque wrench on the nut and hold the bolt with a wrench. I don't really know why I do it that way, I just do. I know there are times when you torque a bolt into a solid (or near solid object) and the opposite, a nut torqued onto a stud. Or even having access to put the torque wrench on one or the other.

Just curious how others do it.

When you're torquing a nut and bolt, and have the option to put the torque wrench on either the nut or the bolt, which do you do?

If possible, I always choose to use the torque wrench on the nut and hold the bolt with a wrench. I don't really know why I do it that way, I just do. I know there are times when you torque a bolt into a solid (or near solid object) and the opposite, a nut torqued onto a stud. Or even having access to put the torque wrench on one or the other.

That's how I've always done it, right or wrong

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Whichever is the easiest access. It shouldn't make a difference in the end. If you swap the torque wrench to the other side it should still click confirming that the torque is the same from either side.

Same here. Not that I'm experienced enough for my habits to inform others.