Torx bolts need to die

Ryan11Wilson

MY TORX BOLTS NEVER COME OFF. I use an impact driver, propane torch, and a long handled wrench. Trying to do my suspension lift without paying 500 bucks to 750.. but the stuck bolts are gonna cost me hundreds on equipment or a shop to do it... Im trying to get my sway bar torx bolts off with T55 and then 18mm nut. Im beginning to regret getting a tj with all the stuck bolt problems I have had the last two months of owning.. it actually makes me sad that im unable to work on my jeep myself because of all the stuck bolts

Torx bolts certainly suck when they're stuck! They're a part of what makes a Jeep a Jeep though. I always try some good penetrating oil before tackling one that is stuck. Another trick I've found is using the tip of a cheap soldering iron to directly heat the center of the bolt head.

Invest in some good drill bits and screw removal tools if you have a lot of stuck bolts. You can always replace them with hex bolts once they're out. A great resource for hardware is McMaster-Carr although the shipping to Canada may be rough.

Good luck! I promise it will be worth it once you get them out and can say you put your own lift on.

Are you sure you're twisting the right way? Ha ha. Can't tell you how many times it takes me way to long to realize I'm tightening, not loosening. I think I'd rather deal with bolts too tight than too loose though. I've had a couple older motorcycles that bolts and nuts would rattle their way out. Including the front axle nut... While on the highway...

Reactions: Ryan11Wilson
Salt & Snow country Jeeps: Anti-seize.

I feel your pain. Stuck fasteners are a PITA no matter what type. And they always seem to occur at the most inopportune time. The problem is the north east DOT’s obsession with salt on the roadways.
Soak any fastener that lives under your Jeep with a penetrating lube well before attempting to break it lose. As mentioned a impact wrench and quality torx bits that are tight fitting and not all rounded off from use. Heat works sometimes to break that corrosion loose deep within the threads. Anti-seize before reinstalling

Reactions: Ryan11Wilson
MY TORX BOLTS NEVER COME OFF. I use an impact driver, propane torch, and a long handled wrench. Trying to do my suspension lift without paying 500 bucks to 750.. but the stuck bolts are gonna cost me hundreds on equipment or a shop to do it... Im trying to get my sway bar torx bolts off with T55 and then 18mm nut. Im beginning to regret getting a tj with all the stuck bolt problems I have had the last two months of owning.. it actually makes me sad that im unable to work on my jeep myself because of all the stuck bolts
I feel the same way about nutcerts...

Yep, can’t stand Torx fasteners. The Europeans started using them, then the domestic manufacturers followed. The Japanese still use hex/flange bolts or Allen head screws, at least on motorcycles. Allen head are superior to Torx in that they’re go/no-go, the wrench fits or it doesn’t, and the hole is deeper. Torx, on the other hand, allow for error. I always check the next larger size because a smaller socket will fit, but will be too loose and with any pressure it will slip and round out the hole. The hole is shallower also, and not as secure. Frustrating. I don’t know who sold the manufacturers on Torx fasteners, but he was a great salesman!

Torx, on the other hand, allow for error. I always check the next larger size because a smaller socket will fit, but will be too loose and with any pressure it will slip and round out the hole.
I've noticed the room for error in Torx also. One that feels right but just a little loose may be one size too small.