Totaled!

Thedogsbollocks

TJ Enthusiast
2006 Rubi 36 k miles rear ended. Insurance now saying total loss as cannot source oem or aftermarket fuel tank. ( other damage is cross member of rear frame bent , luckily can be replaced with aftermarket x member , rear door , wheel carrier, bumper etc. All estimated at about 5k damage)

I know a second hand tank is an option however…

so their 1st offer was around 15.5 k but they had 106 k when it’s only 36k. Needless to say I pointed this out and sent them 50 examples of 2006 Tjs all over 20k in fact non Rubicon average was nearer 25k ! The average of the Rubicon models came in at 26k. Appreciate these are what they are being offered at but still a good sizable sample of comp prices to make them think.

so above I’m really just setting scene. My question is why oh why cannot source a NEW fuel tank anywhere? I have literally searched ever aftermarket
manufacturer and of course oem and no one can supply a single one and all say not sure if they will be getting restocked?

529F5E67-C55C-452F-A69A-6B254D5E71E4.jpeg

2B63745F-EEB6-471C-B122-EBDE6BD4DB8D.jpeg

CDFEB43C-8CB3-4FED-A0A2-EBE6E45262B2.jpeg

18CB9E15-DA55-4B1C-BEFD-55F45FB7CC21.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Tob
That sucks and it hardly looks damaged. Years ago I rearended a honda Civic with my 95 cherokee. I had a bent lisc plate, the honda was totaled. it folded like a taco at the center of the rear wheel wells. Good luck which way you decide to go on replacing it or fixing it.

Yeah Tj parts are being hard to come by and I'd certainly fight with the insurance company to get your value.

If you want to keep it and need a tank genright makes some nice aftermarket ones

I'd just get a used tank, they aren't rare on car-part.com either. It's a big chunk of plastic that lives a pretty sheltered life. I probably wouldn't get new even it they were available. Be realistic about that rear section with the tailgate. It wont be easy to repair and get everything aligned factory new. If you are the picky type you might not be happy without a fairly extensive repair back there.

there are TJs being parted out 7 days a week, at least here in the salt-belt, I think at any given time there's be a ton of OEM tanks available? Have you checked the Book of Faces? Maybe it's different down south, not as many being parted out...

Reactions: P man
2006 Rubi 36 k miles rear ended. Insurance now saying total loss as cannot source oem or aftermarket fuel tank. ( other damage is cross member of rear frame bent , luckily can be replaced with aftermarket x member , rear door , wheel carrier, bumper etc. All estimated at about 5k damage)

so their 1st offer was around 15.5 k but they had 106 k when it’s only 36k. Needless to say I pointed this out and sent them 50 examples of 2006 Tjs all over 20k in fact non Rubicon average was nearer 25k ! The average of the Rubicon models came in at 26k. Appreciate these are what they are being offered at but still a good sizable sample of comp prices to make them think.

so above I’m really just setting scene. My question is why oh why cannot source a NEW fuel tank anywhere? I have literally searched ever aftermarket
manufacturer and of course oem and no one can supply a single one and all say not sure if they will be getting restocked?

One option would be to have them write you the 5k check and get the work done yourself. Either you or a garage of your choosing. The only downside to that would be if you found anything else wrong it wouldn't be covered.

Stick to your guns on the market price. You may want to contact your insurance company and see what they'll do.

View attachment 309171

View attachment 309172

View attachment 309173

View attachment 309174
And that’s the reason some of us are driving a “rebuilt” TJ .( not that it bothers me that mine is) Damn insurance companies.

Damn insurance companies.
I've told this story here a time or two before: In 2011 the Mercedes was T-boned. $3800 damage. Fucking State Farm wanted to total it. I told them "Not only no, HELL NO." Argued with them for 5 weeks before they saw it my way, and fixed my car. Body shop guy told me of a Volvo that had come in with $1,800 of damage, and State Farm totalled THAT for $3,600. No wonder insurance premiums are so high...

Never, EVER deal with an insurance adjuster. Take it to the body shop yourself, and tell the Ins Co to pay them directly.

However, frames are not. He says the rear x-member is bent, and I’d bet his frame is tweaked at least to the rear lower control mounts
He said it is just the rear crossmember unless I'm missing something? I can tell you on the west coast that jeep won't total with a rear crossmember replacement and the other parts talked about, especially if you push the insurance company to fix it

However, frames are not. He says the rear x-member is bent, and I’d bet his frame is tweaked at least to the rear lower control mounts
Body-on-frame vehicle frames are mild steel and are easily repaired. Even Unibidy vehicles are easy with a rack. 30 or 40 years ago every body shop could and would straighten them. It's a bit of a lost art now but it's easy done by the few who still do it.

Reactions: P man
I'd just get a used tank, they aren't rare on car-part.com either. It's a big chunk of plastic that lives a pretty sheltered life. I probably wouldn't get new even it they were available. Be realistic about that rear section with the tailgate. It wont be easy to repair and get everything aligned factory new. If you are the picky type you might not be happy without a fairly extensive repair back there.
Yeah that concerns me …if it’ll ever be straight again?

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
Body-on-frame vehicle frames are mild steel and are easily repaired. Even Unibidy vehicles are easy with a rack. 30 or 40 years ago every body shop could and would straighten them. It's a bit of a lost art now but it's easy done by the few who still do it.
It doesn’t look too bad EXCEPT the gaps in the wheel arches are now wider because pulled in when x member buckled I guess. Do think they would get it straight?

One things for sure I have full and half door soft top etc all almost like new…if totaled I’m canibalizing it lol…

Yep….not much but yes. Tailgate won’t open as sides slightly pulled inwards. No crease in body work anywhere except tail gate…what dya reckon?

It doesn’t look too bad EXCEPT the gaps in the wheel arches are now wider because pulled in when x member buckled I guess. Do think they would get it straight?
Should be no problem for the right shop. Frame is easy and maybe all it takes is a ram and relieving metal for the tub. Call around and ask shops what they think until you find one that says yes. Seems like many ofv them nowadays don't do much more than replace bolt on parts, slap on a little filler, and squirt paint.