Toughness personified

I wish there were a "Used Stock Currie Tie Rod" co-op that would provide some type of core exchange for my existing tie rod. Basically anything that would help offset the cost of this 4340 upgrade, which IMO seems very reasonably priced. I've yet to bend my Currie tie rod so it's difficult to ignore that I'm in the WANT category as opposed to the NEED. I know what you guys are going to say, "You're not trying hard enough." There's probably some truth there.

Reactions: Irun
I wish there were a "Used Stock Currie Tie Rod" co-op that would provide some type of core exchange for my existing tie rod. Basically anything that would help offset the cost of this 4340 upgrade, which IMO seems very reasonably priced. I've yet to bend my Currie tie rod so it's difficult to ignore that I'm in the WANT category as opposed to the NEED. I know what you guys are going to say, "You're not trying hard enough." There's probably some truth there.
I'll give you $7 and a chicken biscuit for your used Currie Tie Rod, there is your offset.

Seriously, I would buy a used straight tie rod if the price was reasonable.

To be very clear, this product was only ever designed and built due to all the detractors that said the Currie failed when they landed on their tie rod or bashed it into a rock and bent it. If you drove it home or back to camp, that isn't a failure. John did a great job with his product, it is designed to bend and absorb the punishment without transferring too much of that load upstream to other components that are harder to repair.

Think of it like a crumple zone on a car in a frontal impact that protects the driver.

I got tired and weary from explaining it over and over and finally said "fine, you want one that you can't bend, here you go, now don't call me if you break something else". Fortunately, the very high level of toughness and resilience mitigates some of the upstream transfer, but I would never promise that is enough to be wholly smart. To date, I only know of a single incident where something else failed and given what I know of what happened, I suspect the same failure would have occurred with any tie rod. You can't drop from a good distance, land on the tie rod right next to where it attaches to the steering arm and not expect something bad to happen.

Everyone seems to be able to navigate the BMB site better than I. What's the secret knock to get into the (non-international) store?
In recent months, I've had to do a Google search for a BMB product in order to get into the store. For some reason, the "Home", "Store", and "International Store" links at the top of the home page don't work. I think they used to work for me last summer, but I'm not sure. I've tried three different browsers, and looking at the HTML source code for the page shows that all three of those links set the Target URL at "" (no link)...

In recent months, I've had to do a Google search for a BMB product in order to get into the store. For some reason, the "Home", "Store", and "International Store" links at the top of the home page don't work. I think they used to work for me last summer, but I'm not sure. I've tried three different browsers, and looking at the HTML source code for the page shows that all three of those links set the Target URL at "" (no link)...
Does this work?

https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/main.sc

Reactions: TheBoogieman
To be very clear, this product was only ever designed and built due to all the detractors that said the Currie failed when they landed on their tie rod or bashed it into a rock and bent it. If you drove it home or back to camp, that isn't a failure. John did a great job with his product, it is designed to bend and absorb the punishment without transferring too much of that load upstream to other components that are harder to repair.

Think of it like a crumple zone on a car in a frontal impact that protects the driver.

I got tired and weary from explaining it over and over and finally said "fine, you want one that you can't bend, here you go, now don't call me if you break something else". Fortunately, the very high level of toughness and resilience mitigates some of the upstream transfer, but I would never promise that is enough to be wholly smart. To date, I only know of a single incident where something else failed and given what I know of what happened, I suspect the same failure would have occurred with any tie rod. You can't drop from a good distance, land on the tie rod right next to where it attaches to the steering arm and not expect something bad to happen.
Thank you for this explanation. I always the enjoy learning the back story of how many of your designs came to exist.

Something is wrong with your computer and/or router settings. I have tried in two different computers (work and personal) and on my phone and I can access everything on the website. I tried with both Edge and Chrome browsers.

International Store link - http://www.blackmagicbrakes.com/international-store.html

1642439921192.png

Home page - http://www.blackmagicbrakes.com/home.html

1642439946452.png

Regular store - https://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.com/main.sc

1642439961976.png

All those URLs work for me, but the actual links on the BMB home page are not links for me (on a PC). Like you, I've used my home PC and office PC with Chrome, Brave (a chromium-based open source browser), and Edge, and none of them work. The mobile site does work on my iPhone and iPad, though. Unfortunately, I'm like @Zorba when it comes to smart phones and browsing (although, I do own a smart phone out of necessity for work).

All those URLs work for me, but the actual links on the BMB home page are not links for me (on a PC). Like you, I've used my home PC and office PC with Chrome, Brave (a chromium-based open source browser), and Edge, and none of them work. The mobile site does work on my iPhone and iPad, though. Unfortunately, I'm like @Zorba when it comes to smart phones and browsing (although, I do own a smart phone out of necessity for work).

http://www.blackmagicbrakes.com/

How about now?

Reactions: SvtLdr