Tow bar and tow wiring. Should I keep it?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Considering ditching my Hidden Hitch, it's wiring, and the Jeep tow wiring up front. As I'm putting a newer bumper on the rear that has a hitch. And I don't think I will ever use the Jeep tow wiring up front.

So I have a Hidden Hitch in the back. With wiring for trailering. And I have wire up front for towing the Jeep. I'm going to cut the plug off the end of the front tow wiring and zip tie it to the frame. As I have no plans to tow my Jeep. But I'll leave the wiring intact. So if I ever do decide to tow it all I'll have to do is install a new plug. The old one looks trashed. But maybe I should try to keep the plug on for an emergency? But just zip tie it hidden up on the frame? Next I'm going to keep the rear tow wiring plug on and just zip tie it to the frame in the rear. For later use - if any.

But the rear Hidden Hitch I have a question about. I'm putting on a new bumper with tire carrier on - that has a class III #9000 two hitch on it. It's the cheap Smittybilt SRC rear bumper. Like below. I can't keep both right? So I'm going to take the Hidden Hitch off. And just sell it.

I have very limited plans for towing anything. I might someday tow a small trailer around my property to move stuff. Never on road. So my need for a good tow hitch is negligible. I think the one on the Smittybilt bumper would suffice. I know it's not the greatest tow hitch around. And even though it says Class III and #9000. I don't believe it. But to tow a small trailer full of dirt or stuff around a property I think it would be fine. No?

Other than my "shittybilt" rear bumper...

Is there anything in this strategy that I should do differently? How much is a used Hidden Hitch worth?

I'm getting ready to paint my bumpers. So I thought it would be a good time to take the Hidden Hitch off while I've got the bumper removed. It also seems like unnecessary weight. As I'm not using it and have no plans to.

9_4.jpg

Here's the rear Hidden Hitch. And the front and rear tow wiring.

20190717_145223.jpg

20190717_145257.jpg

For the amount of towing you are planning on, any rear bumper with a built in receiver should be fine.

I'd keep the rear wiring just in case you ever need it but getting rid of the front wiring, or at least hiding it somewhere will help the front look better.

I bought my used U-Haul receiver from Davey's Jeeps last year, IIRC, it was in similar condition to yours (not rusty but faded) and cost me about $50. I ended up getting a truck that can tow with, never even got the wiring for the Jeep, and one of these days I'll take it off.

For the amount of towing you are planning on, any rear bumper with a built in receiver should be fine.

I'd keep the rear wiring just in case you ever need it but getting rid of the front wiring, or at least hiding it somewhere will help the front look better.

I bought my used U-Haul receiver from Davey's Jeeps last year, IIRC, it was in similar condition to yours (not rusty but faded) and cost me about $50. I ended up getting a truck that can tow with, never even got the wiring for the Jeep, and one of these days I'll take it off.

Those were my reasons for doing the wire like that. The rear I might need someday. And it can tuck up and be zip tied out of the way. The front just looks terrible with that on it. And it would be a rare day if I ever towed my Jeep.

$50. Cool. That should pay for some paint. lol.

Get rid of the 4 round and bracket up front and wire in a 4 flat and zip tie it behind the grill for future use. Out of site, out of mind. There may come a day when you need to flat tow the jeep behind a Uhaul truck, or if you have kids, they my have kids, and you need to travel to visit. Ask me how I know!