1. Want to have your TJ featured as the September 2018 "Ride of the Month"? The winner will receive a $200 gift card from Metalcloak! Click here to submit a photo of your TJ. Submissions are accepted until August 20th!
    Dismiss Notice

How to properly tow your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Discussion in 'TJ How-to Guides' started by Alex M., Oct 26, 2016.

1. BendLarry

BendLarry TJ Enthusiast

You need to remove more than the lock spring to really solve the issue. See one of my posts above to learn how to completely disable the wheel lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris likes this.
  2. mrblaine

mrblaine TJ Guru
    Supporting Member

Probably not the cylinder. The way to tell is get a key cut off the VIN at the dealer and try it. I'd put money on the key being worn.

Chris likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point. One rarely thinks (myself included) about the key wearing out over time! I'm sure a lot of of us with the original keys are probably due for a replacement.

4. bobthetj03

bobthetj03 TJ Expert
    Supporting Member Ride of the Month Winner

This ^^
    My key kept walking its way out of the cylinder while driving. Had a key cut recently for when I'm flat towing, and new key is nice and snug.

5. Upstater

Upstater Member

20180405_085626.jpg I use a non-chipped key for towing. Also ran a separate trailer wire kit with light bulb to rear tail lights. There's enough room for another 1157 bulk in housing. Jumper wire between MH and plug in jeep grill. Had some tow shackles fabricated that wrap OEM bumper and bolt directly to frame. Much safer towing behind MH. I like it better than the big aftermarket bumper I was using. 20180404_173031.jpg

#105 Upstater, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    bobthetj03, DWLJ and Chris like this.