Towing my dog

02SteelBlue

TJ Enthusiast
My people skills suck, so I bought a buddy! Border collie mix, 1 1/2 old when I got him a few weeks ago. And a bonus - he likes Jeep rides.

I'm looking to remove the back seat and add essentially a deck back there. Thinking about making it level or so with the middle console, with a rollout drawer underneath. Does anyone have something along these lines that can help me visualize an end?

Thanks much. And I know threads are worthless without pics..

20190309_163516.jpg

That's a beautiful pup that ya got there.

The type of storage you're describing sounds like something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009X23N4G/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You could probably just put a tarp or blanket over that for the pup to lay on.

It may also be worth considering getting a good cargo net if you run with the top down since it'll keep the pup secure without functioning as a full top.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Right on. Congrats on the new buddy.

This is Frankie. He's about 12 yrs old, about 70 lbs, border collie and St Bernard. And loves the Jeep!

I have the back seat removed and a blanket back there. Thinking about building storage over the fenders but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.
2018-01-07_09-54-18.jpg

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Jack72
Also no help but my Colie/Healer mix loves to run in front of the Jeep on FS roads. I haven’t been able to run him over yet, effing fast.
While in the back he has good training and won’t jump out without the top. He sticks himself in between my seat and the roll bar while driving.
The only down side is hair hair hair hair everywhere
B91F5B4C-FD8F-4610-A2C5-4C23A6DCA6E9.jpeg

I also put cargo nets on my LJ for my Akita when we went out to Colorado, I made mine (for the price I should have just bought them, took me two days to make them!) out of 1" tubular webbing (way over kill, 3500 lb. breaking strength) but I had a spool I got from some where..... It keeps her safe and contained in case of an accident......

Welp, I think that's idea I'm going for. I'd like to build mine, so it will be wood most likely. But that looks spot on.

Does the front part go up all the way to the console?
No it stops even with the cargo floor, but if you’re building your own, you can extend the top a little more. I was originally going to build a deck out of aluminum but I got lazy and bought one.

Back before I had a spare tire, I looped my dog's leash around the center roll bar and kept the back glass open. The leash happened to be the right length to keep her in the back.

Cargo net for sure. Unfortunately I learned the hard way when one of ours jumped out while I was doing 25mph in our neighborhood. Fortunately he only had some scuffed paws and no fractures. It took a few vet visits and a couple of hundred dollars, but he is fine now. Made for a rough few weeks though and I still feel super guilty...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: DrDmoney
No help with the tray / platform, but don't forget to tether him down somehow, else even if the cargo area / windows are enclosed with netting, he could still fly forward and get hurt. They make harness clips that go into the seatbelts, or I've seen a few creative solutions involving some dynamic rope on the roll bars and a clip attached to that.

Reactions: bobthetj03