Towing Without Frame Tie-Ins

Boboddy

Supporting Member
Just like the title said I am trying to figure out how necessary frame tie ins would be for short term towing.

I am moving across country(NOT TOWING) in the next week.

Picking up the 2,000 pound total storage container on a trailer will save me about $300.

I recently upgraded my rear bumper to a Dirtworx without a tire carrier. I didn't add the frame tie ins because I had no tire carrier and didn't plan on towing.

So can I get away with towing without the frame tie ins for a short distance? Maybe 25 miles total.

I just have a lot going on with the move coming up in the next week and it's already going to take 5 days min for shipping.

Appreciate the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't risk it. If something happens, your entire bumper could rip off and the trailer will become a runaway. Safety chains won't stop that as they're on the bumper too. Anybody in its path can be seriously injured or killed.

A simple Google search for "runaway trailer" brings up hundreds of articles of random people, many of them children, killed by runaway trailers. On average about 450 people are killed by runaway or improperly hitched trailers every year.

For the sake of the safety of the people around you please do not risk it. The brackets are absolutely worth the money.

They don't have to be Dirtworx brand brackets. Any bumper that uses the factory mounting holes should be compatible with any generic brackets.

Rock Hard 4x4 brackets would be compatible as they use the factory holes. Their website quotes freight normally but I'll bet you can call and get 2-day shipping, as they'll easily fit in a small box.
https://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-2001-tj.htm
Genright is based in California and may be able to ship quickly. Best to give them a call. These are a bit more expensive.
https://genright.com/products/rear-frame-to-bumper-tie-in-bracket-kit.html

This is one of those things that's like 98% odds of being no issue. But if it hits that 2%, the consequences can be very large.

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley
Frame tie ins are a good idea but I would not hesitate to tow a 2000 lbs trailer for 25 miles. Regular towing is much different than using the bumper for recoveries etc. I now have the poison spider tie ins but towed 1200 lbs or so without them, could hardly feel the trailer.

A simple Google search for "runaway trailer" brings up hundreds of articles of random people, many of them children, killed by runaway trailers. On average about 450 people are killed by runaway or improperly hitched trailers every year.
I googled "runaway trailer" and found many links for small, light weight trailers.

Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 7.35.58 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: Steel City 06
Can you provide a source for this data?
This one says 340-380 but its actually a really good read on how trailer coupling and receivers are designed. Also has a lot of good information on the laws and how they relate to coupling design.

On a tangent I also attached the SAE J684 requirements for what hitch receivers must conform to in order to be considered "industry standard compliant" in the US. In many states the SAE, ASME, or ASTM standards are in part incorporated into law.

In particular J684 has design and test specifications that all OEM and reputable parts manufacturers build to regarding receiver hitches and their attachment.

Attachments

• Trailer-Safety-Chain-White-Paper.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 121
  • SAE J SAE J684.pdf
    154.3 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Unforunately, the nearest home depot that has a truck near where I am moving is about 25 miles in the wrong direction.

The trailer and load are under 2,000 pounds combined and I wont have to use any highways.

Either way I've ordered frame tie ins and I'm looking into alternatives to towing.

It seems like opinions vary widely on the topic, but I would hate to be responsible for some catastrophic accident.

I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks!

You might want to check Facebook and Craigslist for a hitch receiver. They are generally pretty cheap. I've thrown away 2 of them from my various Jeeps because I couldn't even give them away. They are quick to install and just as quick to remove.

Reactions: Steel City 06
You might want to check Facebook and Craigslist for a hitch receiver. They are generally pretty cheap. I've thrown away 2 of them from my various Jeeps because I couldn't even give them away. They are quick to install and just as quick to remove.

Yup. Mine came with 1 1/4” on it and I found a guy selling a 2” hitch. He said if I’d take the spare springs and extra steering wheel he would just give it to me for free.

As for ease of installation, I had my 14 year old daughter take the old one off, install the 2” receiver and then wire it up.

There are quite a few aftermarket receivers available for the TJ.

If I had to choose one I would go with one like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000765E08/?tag=wranglerorg-20The hitch itself is rated to 4000 lbs trailer weight and 400 lbs tongue weight, though of course it doesn't change the 2000/200 limit of the TJ. It also installs fully underneath the frame so it doesn't interfere with tow hooks or frame brace brackets.

Curt, Reese, and Drawtite also all sell this receiver hitch under their own labels. It is basically the OEM design receiver.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GO93I8/?tag=wranglerorg-20https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049MVC66/?tag=wranglerorg-20