Toyota FJ cruiser possibility?

I worked at a Toyota dealership when the FJs we're being produced, they were fun to drive around. Good approach and departure angles and proven drivetrain. The C pillar was always my biggest gripe but I think they would work great for an overland vehicle. The M/Ts are a longer throw like the TJ if I remember right. I'm sure these trd trail team special editions have high resale but thought they looked pretty good.

View attachment 66684

I'd poke around the fj forums and see what the common mods are.
I saw a special addition near me that was around 30 something and though I would just love to be in debt for 7 years my budget is pretty stiff at 15... maybe 17 if it's a really good one.

I will take your advice on going to the fourm though. Thanks!

Something else to consider - not sure which way you're leaning, but the manual tranny FJs are full-time all wheel drive until you shift into 4-low. The auto tranny versions are 2wd with the standard 4-high and 4-low. A poster on an FJ forum:
IDMtGoat said:
So the manual transmission FJ simply has 4Hi and 4Lo? You drive around in 4Hi until you need the lower gears​

Yes and yes.​
IDMtGoat said:
For the automatic if I recall it has 2wd, 4Hi and 4Lo, but it does not have hubs.​

Correct.​
IDMtGoat said:
Do either manual or auto transmissioned FJ's physically engage 4wd and/or 4Hi or 4Lo via a link or are they both electronic so they send a signal to a servo or what ever to adjust the transfer case to the correct position?​

Both have a transfer case that is shifted physically/manually by a lever with corresponding shift forks in the transfer case.​
Here's an image of one in the wild:​

View attachment 66670

Actaualy there is a 4H-4HL-4LL
The extra L stands for locked, as in center differential is locked.

I've done my homework

Bought a brand new one in 2010 that I will never get rid of (has 50,000 miles on it), if people used there mirrors instead of turning there head they wouldn't notice the c-pillar blind spot. I added a spot mirror to the pass side mirror and its fine. In stock form a TJ wont hold a candle to a FJ off road, I own both and know what I'm talking about. Let the flaming begin!!!

Reactions: Robert Gessler
Bought a brand new one in 2010 that I will never get rid of (has 50,000 miles on it), if people used there mirrors instead of turning there head they wouldn't notice the c-pillar blind spot. I added a spot mirror to the pass side mirror and its fine. In stock form a TJ wont hold a candle to a FJ off road, I own both and know what I'm talking about. Let the flaming begin!!!
So far I've wheeled with a durango, a tj and an xj and with the type of stuff I do all you really need is at least some 31s and a good spotter lol

I have no doubt the fj is a capable machine.

So far I've wheeled with a durango, a tj and an xj and with the type of stuff I do all you really need is at least some 31s and a good spotter lol

I have no doubt the fj is a capable machine.

The FJ is the most capable off road vehicle in stock form other than maybe a Samurai that I️ have ever driven, granted it comes with a lot of bells and whistles from the factory. I️ am a big guy (aka fat) and I still have to slide the seat up to be in a good driving posistion. I️ absolutely love the vehicle!!

Reactions: Robert Gessler