TPS Throttle Issue with 98 Sahara 4.0

L-Beez

Hey All,

Had the check engine light come on recently and had the code checked and it indicated the Throttle Position Sensor was going out. The Jeep seemed to be acting up when at Idle, sitting at 2000 RPM at times and wanting to seem to cut out at others. I did replace the sensor last night, but the check engine light has not turned off, checked the codes and it is the same issue. I'm not sure if this has updated or not or if there is any way to reset it myself. Also after replacing the sensor i noticed while in park, (32RH Auto transmission) if bringing the engine anything past 3000 RPM when coming back down to idle it seems to cut the engine. I was having similar issues while at stop lights as well before replacing the sensor. I have checked the alternator and it passes all tests and turns over on first try every time so i don't believe it is that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Maybe clean out or replace the iac (idle air controller) lots of videos on YouTube but I would start by cleaning that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: L-Beez
Your computer takes a while to notice changes and it definitely won't clear out Check Engine lights right away after fixing the problem. You can shorten that time by disconnecting your battery's negative lead for 3-4 minutes and then reconnecting it. The CEL light will be out and it will stay off so long as that TPS was the actual cause of your CEL.

Your computer takes a while to notice changes and it definitely won't clear out Check Engine lights right away after fixing the problem. You can shorten that time by disconnecting your battery's negative lead for 3-4 minutes and then reconnecting it. The CEL light will be out and it will stay off so long as that TPS was the actual cause of your CEL.
@Jerry Bransford thanks for the info i ll let it go for awhile and see if that resolves the issue. Also would you guys recommend that i clean the entire throttle body? Both the IAC and the air intake as well? Any products you guys would recommend for this? Thanks again, @GeorgeSully

Did you use an OE Mopar replacement TPS? If not, that could be the issue for a CEL not going away.

I would however clear the code with an OBDII scanner, as the code takes a while to go away on it's own.

Did you use an OE Mopar replacement TPS? If not, that could be the issue for a CEL not going away.

I would however clear the code with an OBDII scanner, as the code takes a while to go away on it's own.
Clearing the code only takes 5 minutes by disconnecting the battery's negative lead for 3-4 minutes. :)

Clearing the code only takes 5 minutes by disconnecting the battery's negative lead for 3-4 minutes. :)

Very true! I just keep my OBDII scanner on hand all the time, since it's helpful to have around anyways.

But yes, you're right.

@Jerry Bransford thanks for the info i ll let it go for awhile and see if that resolves the issue. Also would you guys recommend that i clean the entire throttle body? Both the IAC and the air intake as well? Any products you guys would recommend for this? Thanks again, @GeorgeSully

You could probably use rubbing alcohol but if you look on youtube there’s plenty of videos. Let us know if it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Chris I believe it was an OEM replacement but wouldnt bet money. It was a Duralast that i purchased from Autozone. I needed to do it myself yesterday on the way home (in the freezing rain lol) because it was cutting out of idle at the stop lights, and it did not want to accelerate properly as well. I have it replaced but was more concerned about it cutting out after high RPM's when in park and the delay in the throttle response.

@Chris i thought i saw a thread earlier that you posted about cleaning the IAC did you just scrub it real good with some brushes, or were there any specific products you used?