Track Bar Angle

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
I've seen multiple posts here about drop pitman arms and how they're bad. I understand why, but this made me wonder about what the degree range is for a properly setup track bar. If you measure the relationship between the tie rod and track bar, what should that angle be?

You want the operating planes of the tie rod and drag link to be parallel to each other. The tie rod angle doesn't figure into that.

Interesting. I've have seen this mentioned, but also have seen mention of the track bar being to shallow, when a drop pitman arm is used. Just trying to debunk or make sense of that.

If you install a dropped Pitman arm, that drops the top of the drag link so it's no longer parallel to the track bar.

images-1~2.jpg

Reactions: Irun
You want the operating planes of the tie rod and drag link to be parallel to each other. The tie rod angle doesn't figure into that.

just did this based on Jerry’s suggestions on this. PO ha a drop pitman on my 05. Went To a factory arm and I didn’t realize how bad the bump steer was, totally cleaned it up.

now my Drag Link and Tie Rod are parallel, took before and afters, made a huge improvement

just did this based on Jerry’s suggestions on this. PO ha a drop pitman on my 05. Went To a factory arm and I didn’t realize how bad the bump steer was, totally cleaned it up.

now my Drag Link and Tie Rod are parallel, took before and afters, made a huge improvement

Share the pictures for communal knowledge!

Good job, just a minor typo... you got your drag link and track bar (not tie rod) parallel. 😊

Reactions: Cedar128 and mrjp
Good job, just a minor typo... you got your drag link and track bar (not tie rod) parallel. 😊
Ha! Yeah, they just cancelled H
Yeah, got me. Track Bar and Drag Link. I even drew the pictures, ha.
Before with Drop Pitman Arm
No Parallel Drag Link.jpg

And after with a factory Pitman Arm.

Parallel Pitman Factory Steering 05 TJ - Copy.jpg

This is only for a couple weeks, I have a whole new Drag Link and ZJ Tie Rod, with the Pitman arm replaced already this will make all new when I get this on Saturday. My wife is not a fan of the cost of this site...ha.

If you look closely enough, you will see that the stock drag link and the track bar are neither perfectly parallel nor the same length. What they are is in a good relationship to each other to provide good steering. As long as the pitman arm and the mounts are stock, everything will work well even when lifted.

If you look closely enough, you will see that the stock drag link and the track bar are neither perfectly parallel nor the same length. What they are is in a good relationship to each other to provide good steering. As long as the pitman arm and the mounts are stock, everything will work well even when lifted.

Not sure they have to be the same length....to be considered parallel, but I can’t remember if that was calculus or geometry where you plotted that in High School, ha, long time ago.

The track bar on mine I believe is a Rubicon Express and isn’t straight, hence cannot be parallel if we are being Ricky tack.

The Theoretical line between the mount ends of each....looks pretty parallel.

I follow you though, either way made my TJ drive a lot better.

Not sure they have to be the same length....to be considered parallel, but I can’t remember if that was calculus or geometry where you plotted that in High School, ha, long time ago.

The track bar on mine I believe is a Rubicon Express and isn’t straight, hence cannot be parallel if we are being Ricky tack.

The Theoretical line between the mount ends of each....looks pretty parallel.

I follow you though, either way made my TJ drive a lot better.

They don't need to be the same length to be parallel. And they aren't really parallel either. The bars and links do not need to be straight sticks either. What matters is that the factory figured out the relationships between the mounts and we are better off not disrupting that by moving the mounting points around.

Reactions: pagrey and AndyG
They don't need to be the same length to be parallel. And they aren't really parallel either. The bars and links do not need to be straight sticks either. What matters is that the factory figured out the relationships between the mounts and we are better off not disrupting that by moving the mounting points around.
This is it in a nutshell.

A dropped pitman arm was originally designed with the concept of not pulling the entire Y linkage upward and consequently forcing toe in, which holds true at really tall lifts ,like 6-8". Think of a coat hanger being pulled upward....gets shorter fast, doesn't it?

They are included with some lift kits as a standard , one size fits all component and a dropped mount is included to keep the degrees of angle (whatever it is) about the same. As @jjvw said, it isn't dead parallel, but it works.

For some reason the dropped pitman arm gets used but the dropped mount rarely does...often because it is too much work or misunderstood.

At 4" or less , it's redundant to do both the dropped arm and mount when stock works fine , and to do the dropped pitman only leads to adventures in bumpsteer, coming soon to a TJ near you.

I've had all 3 set ups ,both components dropped, dropped pitman only , and stock.... and of the 3 , you don't want just a dropped pitman arm only.

Reactions: mrjp
Operating planes.

Read that again. 4 syllables in one word . That is Jerry Bransford right there buddy, master at work.

Operating planes. I'm using that tomorrow somehow.

There is no way Jerry is getting paid near enough.

If you look closely enough, you will see that the stock drag link and the track bar are neither perfectly parallel nor the same length.

There is no such thing as “perfectly parallel”. two lines are either parallel .....or they are not. There’s no “perfectly” or not so perfectly. Lines either go on forever without ever intersecting, or the do intersect.

This is it in a nutshell.

A dropped pitman arm was originally designed with the concept of not pulling the entire Y linkage upward and consequently forcing toe in, which holds true at really tall lifts ,like 6-8". Think of a coat hanger being pulled upward....gets shorter fast, doesn't it?

They are included with some lift kits as a standard , one size fits all component and a dropped mount is included to keep the degrees of angle (whatever it is) about the same. As @jjvw said, it isn't dead parallel, but it works.

For some reason the dropped pitman arm gets used but the dropped mount rarely does...often because it is too much work or misunderstood.

At 4" or less , it's redundant to do both the dropped arm and mount when stock works fine , and to do the dropped pitman only leads to adventures in bumpsteer, coming soon to a TJ near you.

I've had all 3 set ups ,both components dropped, dropped pitman only , and stock.... and of the 3 , you don't want just a dropped pitman arm only.
The drop pitman arm predates the TJ and it's y link steering. It serves a purpose on steering and suspension setups that do not use a track bar.

The drop pitman arm predates the TJ and it's y link steering. It serves a purpose on steering and suspension setups that do not use a track bar.
Yes like a typical linkage that doesn't need pulled upward. It could create different operating planes. 😏

Last edited: