Trail Break: Better solutions for factory hood straps?

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
My Wife and i went wheelin' down at Sycamore Creek, and played around at Butcher Jones. It is starting to become a habit because it is so close, and a fun day trip. Plus I think that is about as much as she can take, but we had a trail break on Saturday.

I know this is horrible to happen on a trail lol, but can anybody suggest a better solution than the stock hood straps?
IMG_20200606_133424.jpg

Of all the breaks to have, that’s certainly one of the better ones. There are numerous options out there for hood latches. It really comes down to how much you want to spend on a hood latch.

Of all the breaks to have, that’s certainly one of the better ones. There are numerous options out there for hood latches. It really comes down to how much you want to spend on a hood latch.
Well, I would like one that doesn't do that! haha

Reactions: TWiG01
I bought some (not cheap) crap (billet) ones from ebay that I had to hone out (to make them tight) and I also had to glue foam to them to not scratch the hood...They look really nice, but if you're not up to modding a hood latch...don't waste your time.

Reactions: ac_ and Rick Flair
I have the ones from Drake. I don't really like the look of them, but they work fine. And this is after losing both Daystar replacements within 2hrs of each other. Not a fun sight on a hi way..

Reactions: ac_
Daystar for less than $25. I've had them on for more than six months since the hood was highlined. If your OEM brackets are in good condition there is no way the Daystar poly will break them under normal usage.

https://www.daystarweb.com/product/hood-latch-jeep-wrangler-tj-1997-2006
You guys in SoCal need to stop grouping everyone in with you and speaking in absolutes. Dunno if you noticed when you installed the straps that they need to be installed above a certain temperature? Yeah, well when its cold, those things shrink. My latches were in good shape. After about two years, one of my tabs broke off. The daystar part of the linkage gets so tight that it folded one of the little legs.

@ac_ is in Arizona so they might work out for him, but just because two guys in SoCal don't have problems doesn't mean its a perfect product.

I rented a Gladiator for a work trip last week and it's hood latches functioned based on leverage rather than the stretchiness of rubber, so I would expect them to last and be temperature independent. I wish I'd taken a photo, but it would be pretty slick if somebody created a similar design to fit a TJ.

Reactions: ac_