Trail Break: Better solutions for factory hood straps?

I rented a Gladiator for a work trip last week and it's hood latches functioned based on leverage rather than the stretchiness of rubber, so I would expect them to last and be temperature independent. I wish I'd taken a photo, but it would be pretty slick if somebody created a similar design to fit a TJ.

That is a good idea, since the sun here eats rubber. Although these did seem to last a long time, but it didn't even break from me shutting the hood. I hit a bump pretty hard and it snapped. On the plus side it re-aligned my front end or at least straightened out my steering wheel haha.

I think I may go for an aluminum one that doesn't use rubber as you suggested.

That is a good idea, since the sun here eats rubber. Although these did seem to last a long time, but it didn't even break from me shutting the hood. I hit a bump pretty hard and it snapped. On the plus side it re-aligned my front end or at least straightened out my steering wheel haha.

I think I may go for an aluminum one that doesn't use rubber as you suggested.

I never would have realized that breaking the stock hood strap would correct the alignment. We'll have to have this tested by the owners of the next 10 death wobble question threads. We may find out in just over a week.

I never would have realized that breaking the stock hood strap would correct the alignment. We'll have to have this tested by the owners of the next 10 death wobble question threads. We may find out in just over a week.

Haha yeah the bump that broke my hood latch straightened out my wheel.

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
Stronger/firmer latches don't allow the hood to move independently of the fenders which can cause cracks in the welds. OEM works great.

That's a good point. The JL/JT front end appears to be structured much more like a typical truck, and much unlike a TJ or earlier Wrangler chassis, which probably allows the JL to use the rigid hood latches. I'm sure Jeep didn't use flexible latches for decades if there wasn't a reason for it.

Hello, another question frum the hungarian US-Jeep Fan.... On one side the strap of the hood latch are broken. I would happily replace that with the Daystar KJ09146BK replacement kit. How can I remove the inner retaining pin in the rubber strap???
Unfortunately fhis is not plastic that I can simply twist until they break . Is that rivetet? or the pin can be unscrewed.... ???
Many Thanks, edgar from Hungary

IMG_20210808_124750.jpg

IMG_20210808_124743.jpg

this is the "sick" side.....provisionally repaired with a hose clamp

IMG_20210806_190911.jpg