Trailer wiring

Scott alcorn

Used search but no luck.. is there a place to plug and play a flat 4 wiring harness for a trailer on my jeep somewhere as it has a hitch but no wire I can see ...shouldn't it be there from factory with the hitch... 04 Rubi

My 06' had a factory hitch and a 7 prong receptacle on the left side of the hitch. wiring for that connected on the left behind the taillight, access under the inner fender liner.

I believe etrailer sells plug and play 4 flat connectors. Simply unplug the left taillight and plug the connectors in to the body side and brake light connectors.

If you intend to tow often, it may be better to install a 7 way and 4 way plug. The 7 way allows you to also hook up reverse lights, a charge circuit, and electric trailer brakes.
The 4 way only has brake lights, running lights, turn signals, and ground.

An electric trailer brake controller installed in the Jeep and electric or electric over hydraulic brakes on the trailer will vastly improve safety.

Reactions: rubicube
I used a kit which plugged directly into the passengers side connector in the back up under the plastic near the rear wheel. Maybe yours is tucked in there from the factory.
I did the same when installing a receiver from Quadratec. The intercept point for my 98 was under the plastic shield below the right tail light. The prewired kit made the job super simple and was totally worth the $20.

I think this is what I used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KTJHIEI/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It plugs into both taillight connectors, plug & play. Some similar harnesses only have a connector for the left taillight which would not work on my '05 because it's missing the wiring for the right turn signal. I guess some years must have all the wiring available at the left taillight but some do not.

My installation pdf said right side 98~2004 and 05-06 under the left side. I only know that the 98 was in fact plug and play under the right tail light inside the plastic-ish body panel.
I can confirm at least 2006 is under the left side. They probably changed it in 2005 because of the evap canisters.
(I had to replace mine because the PO let the connector drag behind on the road, causing it to short out)

Again, on my '05, I needed a harness that connected to both taillights because that was the only way to get both turn signals.

Apparently, some years have the wiring for both turn signals available at either the left or right taillight. On my '05 that was definitely not the case. YMMV

I can confirm at least 2006 is under the left side. They probably changed it in 2005 because of the evap canisters.
(I had to replace mine because the PO let the connector drag behind on the road, causing it to short out)

I can confirm that a 2005 LJ is on the left side. I used a harness from Quadratec that plugged into the OEM harness, no cutting required.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but it’s the best discussion I’d found related to my issue.
I purchased a 2004 LJ that had the 7-pin trailer adapter built into a mount under the hitch on the left side. I recently tried to use it and found the right side signal and brake light didn’t work on the trailer. Turns out the green wire has no power.
So after digging around I found *another* trailer adapter on the passenger side? Surprised the hell out of me so I checked it for power and it seems dead, but after reading here I’m wondering if I need to be using it?
It seems I have two adapter plugs on both left and right sides so I’m wondering if maybe someone had tried to install the trailer adapter but did it incorrectly? Is the 4-pin I found on the passenger side the original factory plug?
Thanks for any insights!

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but it’s the best discussion I’d found related to my issue.
I purchased a 2004 LJ that had the 7-pin trailer adapter built into a mount under the hitch on the left side. I recently tried to use it and found the right side signal and brake light didn’t work on the trailer. Turns out the green wire has no power.
So after digging around I found *another* trailer adapter on the passenger side? Surprised the hell out of me so I checked it for power and it seems dead, but after reading here I’m wondering if I need to be using it?
It seems I have two adapter plugs on both left and right sides so I’m wondering if maybe someone had tried to install the trailer adapter but did it incorrectly? Is the 4-pin I found on the passenger side the original factory plug?
Thanks for any insights!
My ‘06 LJ had the factory 7pin connector and trailer hitch on it. I removed the hitch and remounted the 7 pin up in the new bumper.

I later added a “toad” harness (4 prong) with connectors to snap into the existing taillights and extend to the front of the LJ powered by the towing vehicle.

I’m guessing your additional 4 wire harness was added later for some reason.

My ‘06 LJ had the factory 7pin connector and trailer hitch on it. I removed the hitch and remounted the 7 pin up in the new bumper.

I later added a “toad” harness (4 prong) with connectors to snap into the existing taillights and extend to the front of the LJ powered by the towing vehicle.

I’m guessing your additional 4 wire harness was added later for some reason.
Thanks. I'm suspicious only because the 7-wire circular adapter doesn't have power to the green wire for the trailers right-side signal and brake light. It seems to me that if it were part of the original install then it would be working.
Does anyone know if there was a "trailer package" on the 2004 LJ and how it came from the factory?

Does anyone have an updated link/ first hand experience with a 4 pin connector that will be plug and play for a 2001? I miss not having my truck, and am going to have to pull a small trailer with the TJ occasionally.

This is the kit I had purchased for my 2004 and it plugged right in with no issues.
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom_Fit_Vehicle_Wiring/Tekonsha/118409.htmlThe connections from this kit are made to both the left- and right-side connectors behind the taillights. There is a wire that joins the two and then drops down the 4-pin connector near the middle of the bumper. No issues at all and was a quick install. On mine, there were plastic panels/access doors underneath the rear end that you can move to reach up behind the lights and plug them in. It was just a matter of using some zip ties to hold it all in place.

Reactions: TWiG01
This is the kit I had purchased for my 2004 and it plugged right in with no issues.
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom_Fit_Vehicle_Wiring/Tekonsha/118409.htmlThe connections from this kit are made to both the left- and right-side connectors behind the taillights. There is a wire that joins the two and then drops down the 4-pin connector near the middle of the bumper. No issues at all and was a quick install. On mine, there were plastic panels/access doors underneath the rear end that you can move to reach up behind the lights and plug them in. It was just a matter of using some zip ties to hold it all in place.
Thanks I’ve watched a few helpful videos on the etrailer website. The Tekonsha kit looks nice and well made. I’m thinking about this kit as well and it seems to only connect on one side and still maintain full functionality which is interesting.
https://www.etrailer.com/p-42615.html?hhyear=2001&hhmake=Jeep&hhmodel=TJ

it seems to only connect on one side and still maintain full functionality which is interesting.
All the wires pass through one side on a TJ although the side changes depending on the year. Mine has all the wires on the passenger side but I think some have them on the driver side. It'll still work both turn signals.

Reactions: TWiG01