Transfer case popping out of 4 low (not shifter problem)

The4bangertj

just because you can does not mean you should
Supporting Member
Currently have a 231 in a 4cyl that will pop out of 4low causing the shaft to spin inside. I have a cable shifter and is adjusted properly and when it pops out of 4low it sometimes is very difficult to get it both out of 4low or back in. This also results in the input shaft on the tcase to move so that the rear output seal on the trans begins to leak. It will even pop back in 4low (shifter engages both by the feel and indicator) and sometimes still spins the shaft as you can hear it inside but doesn’t move the jeep. I did rebuild it a long time ago and even put a 1.25 chain which was causing some of the problem but then I swapped it back to a new 1in wide chain and the problem is still persistent.
I’m assuming I failed to install everything properly when I did a full rebuild a long time ago. Is there anything that I should look for specifically? Should I just pull it and try and see if I can find it through different trials?
Open to any thoughts or suggestions to point me somewhere when I pull it.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Am I right to think that this is all an internal problem and not a shifter problem since it’ll pop out and my shifter is still clicked into the 4low index and like the get stuck in or lock me out of 4low? The leak is my biggest concern since I believe this is what cause my trans to leak all its fluid on a trip and burnt up my trans.

Had someone on insta tell me when he did a rebuild he was given instructions and a snap ring in the input shaft was not specified, this caused it to pop out of 4low. I believe this is my problem since the input shaft is the root of my transmission seal leaking and I also did a rebuild a long time ago before I was more skillful and knowledgeable. This was also when I put in a 1.25 wide chain without its matching sprocket set so I’m confident that I was also dumb enough to miss a snap ring on the input shaft.

Reactions: Rickyd and PNW_LJ
Pulled the case today after class and just but seeing the input shaft I found the problem. I am missing the snap ring on the input shaft. That is causing the middle gear in the planetary gear to move out of engagement thus slipping out gear and only will 2h push the lower shifter fork forward pushing that gear/input shaft forward allowing me to engage 4low. This movement of the input shaft is also the cause of my transmission to leak out the rear output seal, that seals on the tcase input shaft. The shaft slides in so far that it just completely separates from the sea and dumps oil when I’m on any incline.
Now does anyone know the specs of that snap ring?

IMG_6671.jpeg

IMG_6670.jpeg

I cant remember if my JB conversions ssye came with new snap rings, if it did then I am almost certain I have the old ones in a drawer. I can check later when I am home.

I cant remember if my JB conversions ssye came with new snap rings, if it did then I am almost certain I have the old ones in a drawer. I can check later when I am home.

I’m pretty sure a full rebuild of bearings would come with that one as well since that’s what caused me to take that snap ring off but I’d rather not buy a whole kit and wait for it. Ima go swing by some local places and see if I can find one quick but if I can’t and you do have one I’d really appreciate it!

Thank you for the offer again but I was able to have a local bearing shop find me snap ring that should work perfectly in there. Currently putting it on. Here is a pic of my missing snap ring.

IMG_6679.jpeg

Put a new trans output seal and tcase input seal in while you're in there. I'm surprised the wide chain gave you issues. I've had no issues with the durango 231dhd chain setup.

Edit- missed the part about wrong sprokets

Reactions: tworley
Put a new trans output seal and tcase input seal in while you're in there. I'm surprised the wide chain gave you issues. I've had no issues with the durango 231dhd chain setup

Will be doing the trans seal but don’t have a tcase seal and don’t want to wait the 2weeks it takes for shipping to get it here so I’ll be using the ones it already has and will order one just incase it does leak and won’t have to wait the 2 weeks. I can have this case pulled in an hour now so if I need to again I will in a day and swap the seal. I put the wide chain on without the wide sprockets and it never caused an issue (I thought that was the issue since it would rub the fork and I thought it was sliding the shifter just barley off the 4low spline but the popping out of 4 low was really this input shaft moving inward thus taking the main gear out of the planetary gears ) here’s photo of the new snap ring and has no problems with me playing with it now.

IMG_6680.jpeg