Transfer case (thoughts on what to do)

driver

Supporting Member
Currently have the Jeep in the shop to diagnose a mystery screech/whine/howl that I had posted about a couple of weeks ago and wasn't able to identify myself. They just called back and said the transfer case (NP231) is bone dry and they're recommending replacement. Quoted $2,200+ for parts and labor. Not sure if this is a fair quote or not--any thoughts?

Instead, I'm wondering if I could:
  • Just refill it with ATF-4 and call it a day?
  • Pull it and replace it myself. I have an SYE in there. Does that make this more complicated to do myself?
Don't really feel like dropping an unplanned $2,220 and willing to get my hands dirty. Anyone ever try to replace the t-case themselves?

That's expensive. I'd start by filling it with $14 worth of ATF and see what happens. Best case it's fine (but I doubt it and there's probably a reason why it leaked out), worst case you wasted $14.

If you can wait, I'm going to have one with all of the goodies you can bolt in on an afternoon for $750 + shipping.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/4-0l-driveline-supercharger-and-parts.36422/

Why was it dry?

Not sure and the shop didn't have an answer for that when I asked them. I have a few active leaks underneath. I hadn't specifically noticed the t-case leaking, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had been and it was just overlooked as I've been slowly dealing with other known issues since I bought this Jeep from the PO.

That's expensive. I'd start by filling it with $14 worth of ATF and see what happens. Best case it's fine (but I doubt it and there's probably a reason why it leaked out), worst case you wasted $14.

If you can wait, I'm going to have one with all of the goodies you can bolt in on an afternoon for $750 + shipping.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/4-0l-driveline-supercharger-and-parts.36422/

Yeah, unless there's a compelling reason to do otherwise, I'm always inclined to spend $14 before $2,200.

What's your time frame on wanting to sell that t-case? If it comes to it, I might be interested.

Not sure and the shop didn't have an answer for that when I asked them. I have a few active leaks underneath. I hadn't specifically noticed the t-case leaking, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had been and it was just overlooked as I've been slowly dealing with other known issues since I bought this Jeep from the PO.
If it was “bone dry” I doubt you can hurt it anymore by filling it and running it. Your other option is to open it and take a look but that’s more involved.

If filling it doesn't work they are fairly easy to pull and work on. You can find a used one on car-part.com for about $400-600 or just rebuild it yourself. It is less work than you might think. As everyone said, $2200 is way too high.

I've seen 231's going for as low as $100 around here on CL/FB marketplace. I would just get a used one and swap your SYE over, its not that involved of a job.

Reactions: Mumblewood
Yeah, unless there's a compelling reason to do otherwise, I'm always inclined to spend $14 before $2,200.

What's your time frame on wanting to sell that t-case? If it comes to it, I might be interested.

The only reason not to try adding oil per say would be if there is damage to the transfer case the internals could break at the most inopportune moment. But you'd likely hear or feel the issue within a few feet of adding the oil.

I could probably have it available within 3-4 weeks.

I've seen 231's going for as low as $100 around here on CL/FB marketplace. I would just get a used one and swap your SYE over, its not that involved of a job.

If it's not out of a TJ/LJ it can be more involved.

Easiest would be matching spline output too.

Well I think all of this feedback settles my next steps. I’ll fill it up and see what happens.
One other thing you could do is disconnect the drive shafts and spin the yokes in 4hi 4lo and 2hi to see if it’s garbage or not.

Those regularly go for $250-500 used and bolt right up- need to know details on what and where for your rig and we can probably help.

www.car-part.com is your friend

Year
Part
Model
DescriptionMilesPart
Grade
Stock#US
Price
Dealer InfoDist
mile
Transfer Case Assembly
Jeep Wrangler
model 231, MT,EXT WARRANTY AVAILABLE,MANUAL TRANS,4X4
141,000​
A​
X1E0213
$400​
Intermountain Auto Recycling USA-ID(Twin-Falls) E-mail (208)329-5858
btn_livechat.png
123​
Transfer Case Assembly
Jeep Wrangler
MODEL 231, MT
97,505​
A​
$LM659
$575​
LKQ-Keystone- Eastern Idaho USA-ID(Pocatello) E-mail 208-232-6918
btn_livechat.png
191​
Transfer Case Assembly
Jeep Wrangler
4.0 MT 5SP
157,893​
A​
200250B
$746​
Shaw Auto Parts - URG 8000 - PRP West - US Shipping Only USA-ID(Pocatello) E-mail 800-888-9495 / 208-232-5952
btn_livechat.png
194​
Transfer Case Assembly
Jeep Wrangler
141,000​
A​
X1E0213
$400​
Intermountain Auto Recycling USA-ID(Rigby) Request_Quote (208)745-8766 Request_Insurance_Quote
btn_livechat.png
213​
Transfer Case Assembly
Jeep Wrangler
recase
112,000​
A​
03BB751
$777.67​
Intermountain Auto Recycling USA-ID(Rigby) E-mail 208-745-8766

Reactions: AMS417
www.car-part.com is your friend

Year
Part
Model
DescriptionMilesPart
Grade
Stock#US
Price
Dealer InfoDist
mile
Transfer Case Assembly
Jeep Wrangler
141,000​
A​
X1E0213
$400​
Intermountain Auto Recycling USA-ID(Twin-Falls) E-mail (208)329-5858
View attachment 170122
123​
Transfer Case Assembly
Jeep Wrangler
MODEL 231, MT
97,505​
A​
$LM659
$575​
LKQ-Keystone- Eastern Idaho USA-ID(Pocatello) E-mail 208-232-6918
View attachment 170123
191​
Transfer Case Assembly
Jeep Wrangler
4.0 MT 5SP
157,893​
A​
200250B
$746​
Shaw Auto Parts - URG 8000 - PRP West - US Shipping Only USA-ID(Pocatello) E-mail 800-888-9495 / 208-232-5952
View attachment 170124
194​
Transfer Case Assembly
Jeep Wrangler
141,000​
A​
X1E0213
$400​
Intermountain Auto Recycling USA-ID(Rigby) Request_Quote (208)745-8766 Request_Insurance_Quote
View attachment 170125
213​
Transfer Case Assembly
Jeep Wrangler
recase
112,000​
A​
03BB751
$777.67​
Intermountain Auto Recycling USA-ID(Rigby) E-mail 208-745-8766
I buy them frequently, 04-06 231's out of TJ Unlimiteds. I have never paid more than 150 for one because that is all they are worth.

Reactions: pagrey
One other thing you could do is disconnect the drive shafts and spin the yokes in 4hi 4lo and 2hi to see if it’s garbage or not.

How would I evaluate this? It does shift into 4 high and 4 low currently with no trouble, which is why I’m a little surprised that the shop wants to replace it at all.

How would I evaluate this? It does shift into 4 high and 4 low currently with no trouble, which is why I’m a little surprised that the shop wants to replace it at all.
Should be able to spin the rear output and see if the front shaft output spins with it. Just to make sure nothings bound up if you thought it could be.

if you can drive it now then forget it and fill it up.

Should be able to spin the rear output and see if the front shaft output spins with it. Just to make sure nothings bound up if you thought it could be.

if you can drive it now then forget it and fill it up.

Cool, thanks. Yeah, it drives no problem. Stays in gear, shifts between 2 and 4 with no issues. There's a very slight occasional grind between 1st and 2nd, but that's about it. I think I'll fill it, try to find the apparent leak, and go from there.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Did that shop say the mystery screech/whine/howl was coming from the transfer case? Seems weird, but if it was adding the ATF+4 can't hurt.

The shifting gears you mentioned is in the transmission not the transfer case. Making sure it's full could help too.

Did that shop say the mystery screech/whine/howl was coming from the transfer case? Seems weird, but if it was adding the ATF+4 can't hurt.

The shifting gears you mentioned is in the transmission not the transfer case. Making sure it's full could help too.

No, they didn't. They basically said the screech/whine/howl was something transmission related (which would make sense, I think), but then called to tell me they were recommending a new transfer case prior to continuing to diagnose the issue.

I just got off the phone with them. Had them fill the t case since they're under there anyway, but then told them I'd just take it back. I'll keep hunting this down myself and maybe get a second opinion elsewhere.