Transfercase Noise in 4LO only

Bob.Gibson

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have 2005 TJ and it has a mild whining noise in Low Ratio only. It is most obvious when there is little or no load on the drive train.
Should I be worried

I have 2005 TJ and it has a mild whining noise in Low Ratio only. It is most obvious when there is little or no load on the drive train.
Should I be worried
No.

Do service it , takes ATF. New Process transfer cases are very tough.

Some owners have noticed if their wife gets out , all the whining noises stop.

I would say that's pretty normal, your transmission and the input side of the t-case are spinning over twice as fast as when in high range. Just as a precaution have you double checked the fluid levels in the t-case and trans?

I would say that's pretty normal, your transmission and the input side of the t-case are spinning over twice as fast as when in high range. Just as a precaution have you double checked the fluid levels in the t-case and trans?
thanks I was intending to recheck the levels and for any metal later in the week. It has only done 80000km so would not expect any wear unless it’s been abused by a previous owner

Reactions: Chris and reddvltj
Is there a preferred fluid? Like Redline for the manual tranny? Or does any old brand work fine in the transfer?

I drained Transfer case and oil looked ok and there was no sign of any metal either in the fluid or in the bottom of the case inside drain hole. Refilled with new fluid and noise is still there. I've never had a ride in any other TJ so dont really know what is normal. I may get a chance to ride in a 1999 TJ with about 180,000km this weekend so will see what it sounds like. I perhaps should add that the transfer box performs normally.

Reactions: reddvltj
why is the transmission and input side of the transfer be spinning more than twice as fast?🤔 The transfer case does nothing to affect these. The only thing it does is cause the output side of the transfer to either spin 1:1 when in Hi range or 4:1 (in my case) when in Lo range. The speed of the input side is controlled by engine rpm and transmission gear selection.

My transfer has a slight whine at any speed. I think this is quite common.

My 97 TC is really loud in 4lo as well. Like I feel people will look at my funny due to its noise. 4hi = loudest 4low = medium loud 2dr= quietest. But there is still noise. Its not quiet. I think its ok, been driving it for 18 months with no issues and no metal on drain plug. Seems too loud if you ask me however.

why is the transmission and input side of the transfer be spinning more than twice as fast?🤔 The transfer case does nothing to affect these. The only thing it does is cause the output side of the transfer to either spin 1:1 when in Hi range or 4:1 (in my case) when in Lo range. The speed of the input side is controlled by engine rpm and transmission gear selection.

My transfer has a slight whine at any speed. I think this is quite common.
In your instance it would be 4:1 times as fast. Now to answer your question. It's simple math. For simplicity let's look at 4th gear in the 5 speed trans which is a 1 to 1 gear ratio. If your engine is spinning at 800 rpm at a given speed in high range, in low range in your t-case, to achieve that same speed your engine rpm would be 3200.

Last edited:
It is the opposite. If I have my rpms at 2000 and the transfer in 2h or 4h the output will be spinning 1:1 with the engine.
If I put the transfer into 4l then the output will be spinning 4:1.
Pulling on the transfer lever in no way causes the engine to spin 4× faster. It causes the transfer output shafts to turn 4× slower.
Same as if, again, engine at 2000 rpm and I shift the transmission from 3rd to 4th gear it does not cause the engine rpm to change. It causes the transmission output and everything BEHIND it to change rpm.