Bird

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Before I install a basic tranny cooler , i just have 1 question.
Will i see lower temps at low speed offroading.
I just can't see it myself.

I really don't want the high dollar unit that you mount under the vehicle with fan.

Yes, you should see lower temperatures, and you will get more life out of your transmission.

I have the Derale 20561 transmission cooler (the one you refer to as high dollar, haha) and absolutely love it. But yeah, I understand it's a lot of coin!

Before I install a basic tranny cooler , i just have 1 question.
Will i see lower temps at low speed offroading.
I just can't see it myself.

I really don't want the high dollar unit that you mount under the vehicle with fan.

I don't think that anyone can definitively say for certain that *you* will see lower temps, but you can read through forums and find a ton people have them installed in their Jeep. I have yet to see anyone say that they didn't see a difference.

You don't need a high dollar cooler either. You can just as easily mount one to the v bar in front of the radiator, which is where mine is located. I have the Hayden 679 mounted on mine.

Anybody have any issues with drop in pressure and shifting problems?

I installed one on a dodge Dakota and had those issues; and Dodge forum members who did th e same mod did too..

I've never had any issue with a drop in pressure or shifting problems on my 42RLE using the Derale 20561 transmission cooler. Hell, of anything I feel like it makes it shift better. That may just be in my head, but it sure seems that way.

I wouldn't think you'd see significantly lower temps while crawling at slow speeds with a passive cooler without a fan. There's just not much air flowing over a finned cooler at crawling speeds. I've had that style but ended up installing a Derale transmission cooler into my current TJ and its thermostatic switch-controlled fan works plenty while rock crawling. The key to me knowing it is cooling the ATF significantly is that the fan cuts off when the thermostat says the ATF is back down to below 180. I have no doubt i'm getting significantly lower transmission temps in my 42RLE with the Derale.

Jerry is right, which is why I like the Derale so much. The temperature controlled fan makes all the difference when slow crawling.

A cooler without that fan setup isn't going to make much of a difference at slow crawling speeds.

The problem I have with the Derale is it's mounting location. I have read a lot about it and those who have it swear they have never had a rock bother it. I would probably say that too if I spent that much money on something like that. I'm less worried about dropping down onto a rock and piercing it and losing all my tranny fluid in the middle of nowhere, and more concerned about the real possibility of a tire throwing a rock into it. There is nothing to stop that real life possibility. At the very least there should be a screen or something to protect it. I would always be waiting for a rock to leave me stranded with an empty transmission.

Reactions: FTI76
Stupid question:

Doesn't the Rubicon have a trans fluid cooler already? I only ask because when I had my flush done they used the lines running to a radiator up front and I know for a fact the previous owner didn't install an aftermarket cooler.

Stupid question:

Doesn't the Rubicon have a trans fluid cooler already? I only ask because when I had my flush done they used the lines running to a radiator up front and I know for a fact the previous owner didn't install an aftermarket cooler.

All of our TJs have factory transmission coolers that are attached to the bottom of the radiator, unfortunately that is simply not enough when you add all of the modifications that we have done to our Jeeps.

Reactions: LCL-Dead