Transporting soft top with hard top on

I bought an 2003 rubicon new and it came with Both tops already installed from the factory they both fit fine.
All of the dual-top optioned TJs (and JKs) came with the soft top frame and fabric installed from the factory, with the hardware and windows in a couple of boxes separately. When I bought my '04 Rubi in 2016, the original top was still on from the factory, never used. The problem was, once you took off the factory vinyl sleeve around the folded up fabric, it never seemed possible to get the top fabric folded up that tight. It can be done, however.

I think @AjRagno has the right idea - disconnecting the bow ends at the roll bar would make it a lot more doable.

When I started this thread last year, it was in preparation for an out-of-town buyer to drive back to another state, which didn't end up happening and the Jeep sold locally...at least this thread may help someone down the road...

All of the dual-top optioned TJs (and JKs) came with the soft top frame and fabric installed from the factory, with the hardware and windows in a couple of boxes separately. When I bought my '04 Rubi in 2016, the original top was still on from the factory, never used. The problem was, once you took off the factory vinyl sleeve around the folded up fabric, it never seemed possible to get the top fabric folded up that tight. It can be done, however.

I think @AjRagno has the right idea - disconnecting the bow ends at the roll bar would make it a lot more doable.

When I started this thread last year, it was in preparation for an out-of-town buyer to drive back to another state, which didn't end up happening and the Jeep sold locally...at least this thread may help someone down the road...

mob yes it been that long ago I forgot that the bows were in separate boxes

Update: I wound up completely removing the soft top, flipping it around and laid the folded up canvas on the back seat (which was folded up). The soft top frame hardware laid nicely on the tub sides (outside of the rollbar) and the hardtop went on without a hitch. This left plenty of room in the back for the windows and my luggage. I could even see through the rearview mirror. This was probably overkill but I didn't like the way the rolled up canvas looked when I just collapsed it. It looked like it would rub against the hard top. I'll post a couple pics when I get home tonight. Now the trick is getting it the soft top out of the jeep with the hardtop on! :)

Thank you for posting the link, very detailed and complete for a newbie owner with only a soft top I have not had down yet. Just looking at the clock it is after midnight in Oklahoma, one day closer to summer. Ha Ha

Regarding folding the soft top down and installing the hard top on an LJ...

I have an LJR, with both tops, and when I purchased it 3.5 yrs ago I drove it from Fort Smith, AR to Ft. Worth, TX with the hard top installed over the folded down soft top. I didn’t have any issues.
However, the owners manual says to never fold the soft top down and install the hard top over it.

So, I defer to the owners manual, even though it worked once for me.