Trouble centering axle with track bars

D M

CEL free! (again)
Supporting Member
As I got home from Moab I figured I'd adjust a few things, one being my axles being centered under the jeep. I've heard of disconnecting both trackbars at the axle and jumping up and down on all 4 corners of the bumpers and the jeep will center itself, except mine didn't. It just pulled to one side and I cant center it no matter how many times I'm jumping on the bumpers. My steering wheel is now also off center too. Are my control arms causing a bind in a way from preventing the body to move side to side?

... I've heard of disconnecting both trackbars at the axle and jumping up and down on all 4 corners of the bumpers and the jeep will center itself, except mine didn't. ...
People really need to quit suggesting that.

Reactions: D M
If the track bars are adjustable, disconnecting them won't help center the axles.

If they aren't adjustable they are no help at all.

I'd loosen up the track bars and every control arm bolt, adjust the bars. Jumping up and down on all 4 corners may let you double check that you like where the axles are before tightening everything back up.

Turning the steering wheel side to side will get the front lined up. You'll need a helper. A ratchet strap works on both ends.

As far as finding center, clamp some straight flat sticks to the rotors and measure back to the frame rails. Make sure the rotors are bolted tight to the hubs.

• USA Proud
Reactions: D M and CharlesHS
.... Jumping up and down on all 4 corners may let you double check that you like where the axles are before tightening everything back up.
There is nothing inherent to the control arms that will tell the axles where the center of the frame is. That is precisely why we have track bars. And those of us with 3/4 links, know how useless and potentially dangerous the jumping method is.

As I got home from Moab I figured I'd adjust a few things, one being my axles being centered under the jeep. I've heard of disconnecting both trackbars at the axle and jumping up and down on all 4 corners of the bumpers and the jeep will center itself, except mine didn't. It just pulled to one side and I cant center it no matter how many times I'm jumping on the bumpers. My steering wheel is now also off center too. Are my control arms causing a bind in a way from preventing the body to move side to side?
Use a ratchet strap while the frame is on jack stands and weight is off the front axle to get the axle centered. Adjust your track bar so that track bar bolt aligns with the axle end bolt hole. Tighten it all up and remove the ratchet strap.
All of this with while paying close attention to parts under tension and safety being priority.

People really need to quit suggesting that.
Is the original idea of that method to let the suspension settle and attach the track bar in the position of least bind? (Even if that point doesn’t coincide with center at ride height?)

Use a ratchet strap while the frame is on jack stands and weight is off the front axle to get the axle centered. Adjust your track bar so that track bar bolt aligns with the axle end bolt hole. Tighten it all up and remove the ratchet strap.
All of this with while paying close attention to parts under tension and safety being priority.
It is not uncommon for a rig to fall over on the springs, not at all.

Besides the fact that it doesnt work(at least for me), why? Is it dangerous in any way?
On a 3 link there is nothing keeping the body/frame from flopping to the side except for the track bar. The first time I realized this, I was fortunate none of me was in a pinch point when the front end of the Jeep fell over.

• Wow
Is the original idea of that method to let the suspension settle and attach the track bar in the position of least bind? (Even if that point doesn’t coincide with center at ride height?)
The idea comes from the rubber bushings having some ability to self center within it's housing. Taking that concept all the way to centering the axles on the frame is flawed.

Reactions: Tob and D M
I measure how much I need it to move, disconnect the TB and adjust it accordingly, ratchet strap and pull it back into alignment so I can get the TB bolt in, done! Wheels on the ground or on jack stands under the axles at ride height.

I used a ratcheting strap, but left the wheels on and the Jeep sitting on the wheels. I disconnected the front track bar, ratcheted the axle, adjusted my track bar and installed.

The jumping up and down on the bumper did not work for me.
That’s how I did it as well. Took me a couple times to get it right. Once I took pressure off the ratchet strap it would move over some.

Reactions: Fouledplugs and D M
If you have to use a ratchet (or some source of a lot of force) to center the axle and connect the track bar, does that mean your suspension will be in any bind at ride height?

If you have to use a ratchet (or some source of a lot of force) to center the axle and connect the track bar, does that mean your suspension will be in any bind at ride height?

Possibly, but here is where the bumper jumping actually can help.

Before you center the axle loosen the bolts on the control arms. Use the ratchet strap method to get it centered, set the track bar to length and bolt it in. Then jump on the bumper some. Then torque everything down.