Trouble removing engine block ground cable bolt on 2006 LJ

2006_LJ

Let me start by saying, I'm already down a rabbit hole. Have an issue with alternator overcharging (14.9v) discovered this while diagnosing a no start situation....

Figured I'd try to clean the grounds as all else checks out fine, decided to replace the cables using a jeep cables big 7. All cables were fairly easy to remove except for this nightmare...

Its a 13MM bolted to engine block, it turns quarter turn in both ways, but it looks like the ring terminals are married to the bolt and they turn with the bolt... also noticed a torx like screw, which is odd. any ideas on how to remove this thing? I know I am suppose to leave one of the ring terminals coming from the wire loom there when I replace the other cable, but afraid if I mess with it too much, I'll end up breaking it and its the one with 15 tiny wires coming out of it-- not taking that chance.

Much appreciated.

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

The stud has the torx screw, hold the torx with a socket and is a wrench to loosen mthe nut. Then tighten the stud and reinstall the nut. I too was dealing with the overcharging 14.9 volts also. I have cleaned all the grounds and connections to alt and pcm. I have installed a external regulator for the time being. I think it may be the pcm but I have another pcm with a transmission circuit issue and when I put that in it is doing the same thing. Everything is working now, but I need to dig into it more.

Reactions: 2006_LJ and P man
I dont recommend this but in a pinch you can use vice grips on the torx part and an end wrench on the nut...its sort of ghetto but if you don't have an internal torx socket...

Reactions: 2006_LJ
I dont recommend this but in a pinch you can use vice grips on the torx part and an end wrench on the nut...its sort of ghetto but if you don't have an internal torx socket...

Thanks might have to try that as I do not konw what size torx to go buy

The stud has the torx screw, hold the torx with a socket and is a wrench to loosen mthe nut. Then tighten the stud and reinstall the nut. I too was dealing with the overcharging 14.9 volts also. I have cleaned all the grounds and connections to alt and pcm. I have installed a external regulator for the time being. I think it may be the pcm but I have another pcm with a transmission circuit issue and when I put that in it is doing the same thing. Everything is working now, but I need to dig into it more.

Thank you! That helps — it was driving me nuts. Any ideas what size torx? :) — also ordered a new PCM from @Wranglerfix which is enroute. Hoping it helps with some of these bugs along with the hard shift from 1-2nd

Had the same issue when pulling the engine to sell. I put a torx on the stud and promptly snapped the torx section off. So be careful.

I ended up cutting the ground strap and told the guy that bought it that he'd have to deal with it. He got a good deal on an entire drivetrain so I didn't feel too bad if that was the single issue he bought.

Go to autozone or oreillys they have a 4 or 5 piece set for very little money and it even comes with a metal tray to hold them

You will need them anyways if you were remove a 2.5 starter or the top 2 bellhousing bolts

I had this same problem. Nuts was rusted to the torx head. Stripped the head doing it the "right way". Ended up cutting the wires, taking it out, putting new ends on the wires, and putting it all back together.

d-

Thanks to everyone for your help, finally got it off without distroying any thing.
Code:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0xqwEq1bYYM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: Apparition
New PCM and still have high voltage from alternator :( — swapping all battery cables next

Sorry to hear that, I installed a external regulator for now until I can dig back into it. Can you check the field voltage with it running? Back probe the wire with it connected to the alt?. A paper clip would work.

63600284-A4E1-47E4-8CF3-EF15D4F5BEAA.jpeg

New PCM and still have high voltage from alternator :( — swapping all battery cables next

One concern I did find was when I monitor the voltage using a scan tool the voltage is reading around 13.6. My scan tool was not working when I went to use it so I was using a Bluetooth version that reads from my phone. So I thought if the computer is seeing 1/2 a volt low it it regulating the alternator up 1/2 a volt to the 14.9 volts. I want to dig into this deeper and with a better scan tool or a second one to verify that I do not have a software issue in the scan tool. I did check voltage at the DLC it is the 14.9 volts.