Trouble removing upper rear track bar bolt

Jeepster78

TJ Enthusiast
Today I removed the frame from both diffs getting ready to sand blast the frame and do some rust repair. I am having difficulty with one bolt which is the upper rear track bar bolt. I got the nut removed from the bolt no problem and now when I try to spin it out it the bolt will spin but only bends the track bar frame mount backwards towards the head of the bolt or rear of the vehicle and the bolt won’t back out and is still extreamly snug to the frame mount. I have tried to get a screwdriver between the frame mount and bolt head but the clearance is too tight. I also have used pb blaster and heat with no luck and tried a sawzall. The sleeve also seems to be rusted to the frame mount near the bolt head and I had no luck cutting through it. I have also beat the hell out of the tip of the bolt with a small sledge and hammer trying to push it through but that’s not working either. I will post a few pictures tomorrow because it’s raining outside now. But any suggestions or help is much appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: Tob
Do you have a body lift? If so I’ve been able to slip something in between the bumper and tub that is a pretty straight shot to the bolt.

is it just in there tight or is it under pressure? Mine came out most of the way but then it reached certain point where the suspension put a ton of weight on it as the bolt was coming out and starting to misalign itself. It was a booger to get out, and I don't remember how we did it. I am absolutely no help to you.

We may have also put it back in from the opposite direction to give us more clearance for next time. I think.

No body lift, Jeep is stock. It is under no pressure the frame is completely off the differentials. The only thing connected to the frame currently is the break lines fuel line and this dang track bar. I had the frame on its side the last attempt and banging the hell out of it with solid clean whacks from a mini sledge and nothing.

It sounds like the bolt is corroded into the bushing sleeve. Unfortunately the only way to remedy the situation is to continue down the path you’ve already started. A sawzall with a good blade sometimes works. I’ve had a lot better luck with a die grinder with an arbor/thin abrasive cutoff wheel chucked into it…

It sounds like the bolt is corroded into the bushing sleeve. Unfortunately the only way to remedy the situation is to continue down the path you’ve already started. A sawzall with a good blade sometimes works. I’ve had a lot better luck with a die grinder with an arbor/thin abrasive cutoff wheel chucked into it…
I had the pleasure of having some bolts on my FJ60 leaf springs corroded into the bushings. I ended up using a torch to melt out the bushings. Good luck, OP!