WTB: Tuffy center console with speaker provision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I've talked to Tuffy and they said they are backordered until at least late December.

I'm looking for a Tuffy center console with the factory subwoofer provision. The model number is 066-01.

I've called Quadratec, 4 Wheel Parts, and a number of others, and no one has one in stock. It may be that I just have to wait, but if someone happens to have one, I'll buy it.

I have the Tuffy console already, but mine is the version meant for no subwoofer, therefore it has a ton more space inside it. I need this subwoofer version to complete my stereo system.

Here's a link to the product in question:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002Y352XG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Why not just install a self contained sub under the front seat. Something like this....
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PWES8/Alpine-PWE-S8.html?tp=114

One reason is that my Audiotec Fischer amp is so powerful that it would be a shame not to use it to power a sub, and the other reason is that that I don't believe this would provide as good of bass as my amp would powering my Kicker sub. @skrelnik, tell me if I'm wrong, but I think I'm on the right track.

Have a custom enclosure built inside the console you have. Shouldn't be too difficult.

One reason is that my Audiotec Fischer amp is so powerful that it would be a shame not to use it to power a sub, and the other reason is that that I don't believe this would provide as good of bass as my amp would powering my Kicker sub. @skrelnik, tell me if I'm wrong, but I think I'm on the right track.

I would rather have that Kicker over the Alpine 100% of the time. Plus, where would you place it? Under the seat is near impossible, plus you will be wicked pissed to have wires there, your OCD will kick in.

Reactions: Chris
I would rather have that Kicker over the Alpine 100% of the time. Plus, where would you place it? Under the seat is near impossible, plus you will be wicked pissed to have wires there, your OCD will kick in.
Please explain why you would take kicker over alpine. Kickers my be louder, but a type R has a much cleaner sound.
And yes the self enclosed sub will mount under the seat and out of the way, have seen several people do it this was, clean install, wiring run up under the console out of site.
I personally run a 10 type R in the rear of my jeep. Sounds fantastic, down side is the space it takes up.

It is, yes.

Do you have a router? You could laminate some MDF to the inside of the console walls. You'd have to jigsaw puzzle them together to fit the pieces thru the top, but I think it could be doable. Basically, making your own enclosure. Drill a bunch of holes on the side where the speaker goes. With a router, you could cut a recess in the MDF for the speaker so it will clear the metal portion of the console for room to move.

Do you have a router? You could laminate some MDF to the inside of the console walls. You'd have to jigsaw puzzle them together to fit the pieces thru the top, but I think it could be doable. Basically, making your own enclosure. Drill a bunch of holes on the side where the speaker goes. With a router, you could cut a recess in the MDF for the speaker so it will clear the metal portion of the console for room to move.

I don't have a router, but I see what you're saying. We'll see if it comes to that.

Please explain why you would take kicker over alpine. Kickers my be louder, but a type R has a much cleaner sound.
And yes the self enclosed sub will mount under the seat and out of the way, have seen several people do it this was, clean install, wiring run up under the console out of site.
I personally run a 10 type R in the rear of my jeep. Sounds fantastic, down side is the space it takes up.

Manly because an audio system is just that, and this Alpine would not at all be a good choice for Chris. With that said, this Alpine could be great in a different system.

Chris has 6 other speakers producing a nice clean sound, so he wants the most bass he can get for this speaker. A shallow mount is good, but that 6.75" will be much better, and he already has an amplifier installed to power it.

Also, Chris has OCD, like me, and I currently have mini amp under my seat, and it irritates me, so I know it will irritate Chris when a self-powered subwoofer that is three times the size of my amp is installed under the seat.

I like what you are saying but it just seems like a lot of work, but great idea! Personally I would wait until the Tuffy subwoofer console was in stock, and if I was hurting for bass for the next 6-8 weeks I would add a select increment subwoofer pod to the rear cargo area until the correct center console arrived.

I don't have a router, but I see what you're saying. We'll see if it comes to that.

Patience my friend.

Reactions: williambmac
Status
Not open for further replies.