Tuffy Drawer in TJ

TJosh02

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Long story made short. Broke my second rear glass on my hardtop in 2 years, maybe 3. Been on the fence about going to soft top permanently even though I live in the great white north and in a major metro (think theft). This time it pushed me over the edge and ordered a Bestop Supertop in twill.

Now I am wondering how to secure the normal tools and recovery gear in my Jeep without having to take it in and out every time. I live in a condo style high rise with underground parking (not very secure as it is open to public to walk in). Have been eyeing the tuffy 058-01 which might suit my needs but was wondering if anyone has one can tell me how much room between the front seats and the drawer when mounted?

I've installed several Tuffy products like that including a rear security drawer. However the one you're asking about looks considerably larger than what I have installed so I can't say how much room it'd leave the front seats. I really only wrote this to say Tuffy's security drawers and other security products are well built and it'd take a very determined thief with the right tools to get inside.

Reactions: Plumber1
Which one have you installed? I liked that this wasn't fully height, but rather 8" (7" interior) which seems about right, and I can ratchet down my spare inside when I do the tougher trails so my rear isn't hitting ledges

Long story made short. Broke my second rear glass on my hardtop in 2 years, maybe 3. Been on the fence about going to soft top permanently even though I live in the great white north and in a major metro (think theft). This time it pushed me over the edge and ordered a Bestop Supertop in twill.

Now I am wondering how to secure the normal tools and recovery gear in my Jeep without having to take it in and out every time. I live in a condo style high rise with underground parking (not very secure as it is open to public to walk in). Have been eyeing the tuffy 058-01 which might suit my needs but was wondering if anyone has one can tell me how much room between the front seats and the drawer when mounted?

I have this one and we love it,the seat leaned back will hit it,but there is plenty of room on the rear floor.

6DEC8169-E122-41F4-821A-61FB723155CD.png

Last edited:
Reactions: TJosh02
I run the 131-01 but you have to pull the rear seat for that one in a regular TJ. I don't know the TJ dimensions you are looking for, hopefully somebody has those details. If it fits it's good stuff as everybody has said.

If you do decide to get something from Tuffy I'd buy direct. They treat their customers very well,

That is a good tip, but I am living in Canada, so the border doesn't treat us so well. I will look into whether it makes sense to use a border shipper. We have such.
The one thing I hate the most about living in Canada as an American is how ripped off you are in every consumer facet. Do the FX conversion, the HST and you still pay 20-40% more here. It is a royal PITA to do the shipment. UPS and Fedex will charge you $35-50 each box to clear customs on top of whatever else you will be charged. At least we have some good places like TMR and good fabricators.

I got https://www.extremeterrain.com/tuffy-tailgate-security-enclosure-9706-tj.html…holds 2 recovery bags, tools and just about anything else I need to keep safe… with the tailgate locked its Pretty secure..

I took out my back seat permanently. My question really pertains to whether I can put my sub between my driver's seat and the drawer. I might just have a custom box made to fit. I know it could be stolen but I am looking at making it a hassle, so it isn't convenient to steal. I just want to know how much room I have. I see the online measurements but it looks like it sets back a bit so it is hard to gauge just how much room I have.

I also run the 131-01 but in an LJ. Solid product and I riveted some cargo tie down points to the top so I can strap stuff to the top. With the tailgate and the Tuffy box locked it would definitely take some time to get into.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I went ahead and ordered the 058-01, I'll report back later

Anxiously awaiting your report and pics. :). Although I've never put the rear seat back in the LJ I'd like to have a drawer that would accommodate that if/when I want to load a couple kids but can live w/o it. Measurement of 30" L looks to be too much with the seat.
I'd prefer to mount it flush with the 'tailgate' leaving space toward the front for other storage and so I don't have to move gear from the rear to open the drawer.
I guess the price is justified (like I need justification to spend jeep money) considering the cost of the recovery gear & tools I pack around.

Smittybuilt's version is OOS and seems to have been discontinued. It came with tie down loops integral, which should be a no-brainer for any manufacturer.

Hmm..
https://www.asapnetwork.org/aftermarket_parts/jeep_tj_unlimited_security_drawer_black_tuffy_security

Maybe too tall for my needs.

Edit: 131-01 showed up as Under Seat drawer at first search. Now I see it fits behind the seat in an LJ. Sheesh..
Wish it had tie-down points but that can be resolved.
I also run the 131-01 but in an LJ. Solid product and I riveted some cargo tie down points to the top so I can strap...

Last edited:
I've got the big box that bolts in place of the rear seat. I like the dual access with the top that lifts with hydraulic cylinders, and the rear tailgate door. And it's bulletproof solid. Nobody's getting into that thing. Even if they got into the Jeep, they're not getting into the box.

It rattled like a bitch when I got it. I lined the door frame edges with foam weatherstrip tape and it quieted somewhat. But I guess you'll still know it's there.

I live a few miles from the factory, so I called them up, went in and paid them and they helped me load it up. I've toured their factory and it's top notch modern made in America technology.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
I've got the big box that bolts in place of the rear seat. I like the dual access with the top that lifts with hydraulic cylinders, and the rear tailgate door. And it's bulletproof solid. Nobody's getting into that thing. Even if they got into the Jeep, they're not getting into the box.

It rattled like a bitch when I got it. I lined the door frame edges with foam weatherstrip tape and it quieted somewhat. But I guess you'll still know it's there.

I live a few miles from the factory, so I called them up, went in and paid them and they helped me load it up. I've toured their factory and it's top notch modern made in America technology.

The "big box"?
Company?
Tuffy? Replaces seat in TJ?
Link please?