Tuffy rear security drawer (the short one) in an LJ?

LJDC

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Has anyone installed the Tuffy security drawer — the one that's 4 inches tall and mounts the rear seat on top — in an LJ? I think it's meant for the SWB TJ, but that's not what I have.
https://tuffyproducts.com/products/...-wranger-yj-1997-2006-wrangler-tj/?sku=130-01

The exterior of the box is about 29 inches deep (back to front), plus it sits an inch or three from the tailgate, so it probably reaches around 31 inches. The rear seat is about 20 inches deep and starts about 24 inches from the tailgate (give or take). But the front attachments are close to the front of the seat, and Tuffy's seat adapters expect to be mounted to the top of the drawer.

I'm basically trying to avoid building my own drawer, because by the time I have enough time to devote to it, the LJ will be another ten years old.

Has anyone installed the Tuffy security drawer — the one that's 4 inches tall and mounts the rear seat on top — in an LJ? I think it's meant for the SWB TJ, but that's not what I have.
https://tuffyproducts.com/products/...-wranger-yj-1997-2006-wrangler-tj/?sku=130-01

The exterior of the box is about 29 inches deep (back to front), plus it sits an inch or three from the tailgate, so it probably reaches around 31 inches. The rear seat is about 20 inches deep and starts about 24 inches from the tailgate (give or take). But the front attachments are close to the front of the seat, and Tuffy's seat adapters expect to be mounted to the top of the drawer.

I'm basically trying to avoid building my own drawer, because by the time I have enough time to devote to it, the LJ will be another ten years old.

Do you plan to continue to use the back seat? The additional height pretty much turns it into kids only seating.

Since you run an LJ, will it fit behind the seat with the seat in the forward position.

I'm still pondering the headroom problem... I can't remember the last time I put adults in that back seat, but I'm positive it was before the iPhone was invented. I think my dog won't mind. What do you mean "with the seat in the forward position" — like, tumbled forward?

I'd actually be happier with a drawer that's 6" high and only fits behind the backseat, and that's what I may end up making myself.

This is looking promising. I’m just trying to deal with some tight tolerances.
IMG_7208.jpeg
IMG_7209.jpeg

That's kinda cool, just have to fab up the mounting for them. Where did you get those?

That's kinda cool, just have to fab up the mounting for them. Where did you get those?

They are drawers for rack-mount IT equipment. Servers are 17” wide (without the attachment ears), and the back of my LJ is between 34.50” and 34.75” wide between the wheel wells.

I’m still working on holding them down with straps but without flexing the sides, which will prevent the drawers from closing. They need to be raised up about 0.75” to clear the tie-down points. So I still have some work to do.

I also had to relocate the slides in one and drill some holes in the sides of both to accommodate the hardware on the outside of the shell, to maintain the overall width. That turned out to be precise but relatively simple.

Nice. Where did you find drawers without the mounting ears? All the ones I see have them integral to the drawer boxes.

Ahh yes... here they are on eBay. Spendy. But if they fit well it may be worthwhile.

I'd consider replacing the handles with something soft, like nylon webbing or paracord.

EDIT: Here is an off-brand drawer, slightly cheaper.

I got mine from Office Depot for under $100 each.

I haven’t dealt with the extra-large handles yet. for now they’re fine, because the drawers don’t go all the way back to the seat anyway, so the setback is not a big deal. But paracord sounds like a great idea, thank you.

Reactions: DeltaNu1142
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
They are drawers for rack-mount IT equipment. Servers are 17” wide (without the attachment ears), and the back of my LJ is between 34.50” and 34.75” wide between the wheel wells.

I’m still working on holding them down with straps but without flexing the sides, which will prevent the drawers from closing. They need to be raised up about 0.75” to clear the tie-down points. So I still have some work to do.

I also had to relocate the slides in one and drill some holes in the sides of both to accommodate the hardware on the outside of the shell, to maintain the overall width. That turned out to be precise but relatively simple.

oh wow, I don't think I have ever seen a "drawer" in any of the racks I have worked on, other than a KVM drawer. Nothing like that for storing "stuff". I was going to build a rack-like drawer with rails and slides because they can lock closed and server rails are heavy duty, but I ended up finding my Tuffy drawer on craigslist, so that project went out the window.

Good on ya, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Reactions: LJDC
No sanding or attachment hardware yet, but so far everything fits.
IMG_7284.jpeg

IMG_7285.jpeg