Tummy tuck dilemma

My Hanson rear bumper can adjust for up to a 2” body lift up to close the gap - works really well for changing over time. I covered up my gap by moving it up when it went to 1.25” body lift

Reactions: JMT
I run a lifted rear bumper and a free raised gas tank skid. Best "cheap" mod I've done. 1.25" body lift and I cut and rewelded the tank skid to gain an inch more clearance.

Well I am in the process of doing a 3.5 suspension lift, I will do a tummy tuck also. I am splint between the Barnes 2" or the UCF 1." I put a UCF on my YJ years ago and loved it but I also have 3 inches of body lift to accomodate the steering box relocation that was previously installed. I also put in an Atlas, another excellent mod. Its coming together slowly but a tummy tuck is worth it if you can you can install it yourself. I am not sure if it is worth paying for if you dont need the clearance. It's a major modification that requires driveshafts, shifters, clearancing the tub, etc. I like mine but YMMV. Tim

Reactions: Jaime313
Well I am in the process of doing a 3.5 suspension lift, I will do a tummy tuck also. I am splint between the Barnes 2" or the UCF 1." I put a UCF on my YJ years ago and loved it but I also have 3 inches of body lift to accomodate the steering box relocation that was previously installed. I also put in an Atlas, another excellent mod. Its coming together slowly but a tummy tuck is worth it if you can you can install it yourself. I am not sure if it is worth paying for if you dont need the clearance. It's a major modification that requires driveshafts, shifters, clearancing the tub, etc. I like mine but YMMV. Tim
I bought Savvy linkage before the skids deal and at some point will replace my rusty exhaust from cat back. If I can be patient, I’ll wait a while and do like most with a 2.5 OME and 1”BL. Gonna be tough to wait for a while though...

Ok, so I got a little anxious and put the teraflex skid plate on and a Currie 1” motor mount lift. I only have a 3.25 SL but putting on the skid have it crazy bad vibrations. I had to put a 1.25” Transfer case drop on it to go away. I think this must be from my driveshaft angle? I don’t know if that would come from the driveshaft or could all that come from the TC being too close to the tub and the angle? It didn’t appear to touch the tub. But my radiator fan went down and then up. Any help or suggestions? Not sure if anyone is still on this post.

Double cardan drive shaft and then adjust your control arms.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. SYE and Tom woods is probably gonna run me a$1k. Plus no adjustable rear control arms yet. Was really hoping the 1” MML would have helped avoid it for now.
It vibrated like a shiatsu massage chair with a droning harmonic sound. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: JMT
While you're looking at SYE kits, look at JB Conversions. They are very well made and are less expensive that other brands. Then go to Tom Woods and get a double cardan driveshaft separately. It is less expensive to do it that way than buying a packaged kit and you will get a better SYE. I went with the Super Short SYE and drive shaft. I paid roughly $650.
https://www.jbconversions.com/index2.php?pc=1
Good luck,
Igoo65

From Tom Woods site:

231 HD Std. All
X​
X​
27 or 32​
32​
none​
$525​
$545​
231 HD
"Super-Duty"
X​
X​
27 or 32​
32​
none​
$575​
$595​
231 HD
"Super-Short"
X​
X​
27 or 32​
32​
none​
$700​
$720​

Looks more like $550-600 for the SYE and rear driveshaft.

Rear shaft on Quadratec:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/52301_915_07.htm
And then pick your SYE:
https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep_driveline/transfer-case/slip-yoke-eliminators-sye
Thank you Wildman!

Good luck I know how it feels to have all those parts bought and you're itching to install them.
As Igoo65 said JB Conversion make a great SYE.

Reactions: Igoo65 and Jaime313
I figured a $1k with labor but thanks because I don’t know if I could do this myself. I haven’t watched any videos on it yet and not sure if my friends have done one either. So I take it you guys believe this would remove the rumbling vibration when I push the TC up? They call it a “Belly up” skid but it’s not flush with the frame. I didn't realize how much the fan would move when the TC goes up or down?

While you're looking at SYE kits, look at JB Conversions. They are very well made and are less expensive that other brands. Then go to Tom Woods and get a double cardan driveshaft separately. It is less expensive to do it that way than buying a packaged kit and you will get a better SYE. I went with the Super Short SYE and drive shaft. I paid roughly $650.
https://www.jbconversions.com/index2.php?pc=1
Good luck,
Igoo65
Thank you Igoo,

Reactions: Igoo65
Good luck I know how it feels to have all those parts bought and you're itching to install them.
As Igoo65 said JB Conversion make a great SYE.
Yeah patience is a tough one for me. I try to do everything myself but if it’s way out of my wheel house or I don’t have all the tools then I’ll hand my money over.

Doing the SYE isn't hard. It is easier if you do it out of the vehicle. There are 6 nuts that hold the transfer case on and then the shifter linkage. Then it is pretty easy to pull apart. If you feel like laying under the Jeep it can be done with out pulling the transfer case but it makes it a little harder if you haven't ever had one apart. Getting to the upper two nuts to get the transfer case out are the hardest. Watch some video's and see if you feel you can do it.
I'm a mechanic so the first time I did one I did it with the transfer case in the Jeep. I had also found a used JB SYE. Almost all the parts I installed on my TJ back when I first got it were used.

Yes it is part of what is causing the vibrations. You are going to need adjustable upper to be able to set your pinion angle.

Yes, @Jaime313, you will also need at least adjustable rear upper control arms. That way you can lengthen the upper control arms in order to tilt the pinion on your rear differential up so it points at the output yoke of your transfer case. With the DC and SYE, your vibes should go away.

Doing the SYE isn't hard. It is easier if you do it out of the vehicle. There are 6 nuts that hold the transfer case on and then the shifter linkage. Then it is pretty easy to pull apart. If you feel like laying under the Jeep it can be done with out pulling the transfer case but it makes it a little harder if you haven't ever had one apart. Getting to the upper two nuts to get the transfer case out are the hardest. Watch some video's and see if you feel you can do it.
I'm a mechanic so the first time I did one I did it with the transfer case in the Jeep. I had also found a used JB SYE. Almost all the parts I installed on my TJ back when I first got it were used.

Yes it is part of what is causing the vibrations. You are going to need adjustable upper to be able to set your pinion angle.

I was really hoping I'd be lucky enough with the 1"MML to skip the arms and SYE for now but it didn't happen. My plan will be on removing the TC, maybe rebuilding it while it's out since there seems to be some play between 4H and 4L even after the Savvy cable was put in. I'll look into JB Conversion and finish off the arms with Savvy to match the front. My tax return would be nice now lol, thank you for the input guys.

I did a tummy tuck about 9 years ago on my 2000 TJ and it one of the best mods I ever did. Getting rid of that stock shovel of a skid plate at the t-case, and raising the gas tank, has provided an amazing amount of clearance vs other lifted TJ's. Sure it's not easy or cheap but it is soooooo much better than without. I don't like body lifts either but we are only taking 1-1.25"s unless you go with the Lo-pro UCF mount. The upside to the body lift is when you break a rear upper shock mount bolt it's much easier to fix since you can reach through the gap between the tub and the frame to help remove it.

Just do it!!

@Jamie313, this was the first time that I installed a SYE. Even though I used a JB Conversion SYE, Teraflex has an excellent video on how to install it. It was a pretty easy install. I even put in a 2 LO kit from Teraflex while I was in there. I left the transfercase in the Jeep, but then again, I have a lift in my garage. That does help quite a bit.