Tummy tuck without body lift (modifying the tunnel)

I really don't understand the hate toward a body lift either. Ok, 3 inches? Sure, hate away. For an inch though it gains you so much flexibility for stuff under the Jeep that it really makes sense. Also an inch is barely noticeable, unless you know what you're looking for.
Agreed, you have to look for it.

If one could weld, you could use something like the https://genright.com/products/universal-transmission-crossmember-kit.html and be able to gain about 2" of clearance without moving the case at all. Looking at mine, it would probably need a new, smaller muffler but other than that, everything else would stay as-is. Not a true tuck, I get that, but it certainly gains much needed clearance. You also do not need to hold up the case/trans for skid removal since the skid would then be separate. I need to learn how to weld :D

If one could weld, you could use something like the https://genright.com/products/universal-transmission-crossmember-kit.html and be able to gain about 2" of clearance without moving the case at all. Looking at mine, it would probably need a new, smaller muffler but other than that, everything else would stay as-is. Not a true tuck, I get that, but it certainly gains much needed clearance. You also do not need to hold up the case/trans for skid removal since the skid would then be separate. I need to learn how to weld :D

This is my plan, once I figure out my vibe problem. I can weld, and have access to a welder at our shop. It's only a 2 hr. drive away for you buddy. Let's do it!

Reactions: Chris and JMT

I have seen custom work similar to that and if you can weld and fab it wont be too hard to do.

As far as heat and sound any Tummy Tuck work will cause that. While you are under there add some good heat shielding/insulation to help with that.

Reactions: Chris and StG58
Score! I've seen simular mounts that were custom fabricated. That looks like it just might work pretty well. Once the skid plate isn't holding up the transmission / transfer case, there's a lot of options for forming a custom skid plate.

It's time to gather internet builds and pictures to see what is possible.

Last edited:
If you can, while you have it all down, clean the bottom of the tub and apply Dynamat Dynaliner. It has a reflective coating that radiates heat away from the tub and is a sound deading materiel. I have mine under the carpet, but wish I would have done it on the bottom when I had it all apart. I still may go back later and do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
If you can, while you have it all down, clean the bottom of the tub and apply Dynamat Dynaliner. It has a reflective coating that radiates heat away from the tub and is a sound deading materiel. I have mine under the carpet, but wish I would have done it on the bottom when I had it all apart. I still may go back later and do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We did the stuff with a very heavy aluminum outer skin when we did Ricky's. The exhaust is right against the bottom of the tub and he says the floor stays cool.

DSC_3573.jpg