Turn signals work, but hazards don't

ac_

zombicon
Supporting Member
Most cars have separate flashers for turn signals and flashers. I am not sure about the TJ, but you could have a bad flasher flasher if that is the case here. Do they come on and just stay on or nothing at all?

Justjeepin81

Hey guys. Just bought a ‘97 TJ this week and was checking the lights and turn signals last night. All 4 turn signals work as they should but when I put the hazards on, the front passenger side does not come on at all but all other 3 lights do. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaquerowrench

Hey guys. Just bought a ‘97 TJ this week and was checking the lights and turn signals last night. All 4 turn signals work as they should but when I put the hazards on, the front passenger side does not come on at all but all other 3 lights do. Any ideas?

Did you ever get an answer to this?

Vaquerowrench

Did you ever get an answer to this?

ticketoak

Having this problem on a '97 as well, all turn signals work fine and dandy, but the hazards don't. It's got to be the switch on the steering wheel right? I checked all fuzes, pulled out the combo flasher and reattached, and made sure all the connections were snug.

Deputy Dodge

Supporting Member
The contacts in the flasher switch get gummed up from never being used. Some bulbs may work, or none. The quick fix is to spray some WD40 where the plastic part goes in to the switch mechanism. You don't have to remove the shroud. Then cycle the switch on and off rapidly until it starts working. Sometimes it takes a second shot of lube.

ticketoak

Thanks for the tip - tried that, WD40 and rocked the hazards back and forth a ton, but no luck. Replaced the turn signal/hazard switch as well, still the same issue - the turn signals all work but the hazards don't engage.

Any ideas on where this could be then? I assumed the turn signals/ hazards used much of the same circuit.

Edit: Rechecked the fuzes still no luck, also replaced the flasher, even though I wouldn't think it would help. An interesting find is that the hazard switch disables the turn signals, but I figure that is inherent to the turn signal switch.

Last edited: