Tweezer's 2004 LJ

Thinking about this and forgive my over simplification, but for the Dana 44, if I buy a locker it replaces the spider gears, right? I would then just need need the R&P and bearings. Add in the front rebuild/regear and I have to be less than $8K. The housing would need to be clean of the rust but this seems like an alternative.

That's right about the spider gears. It also replaces the carrier which is great if that might need replacing anyway for the rust.

Something to be said about heeding wife's advice and her knowing you. It will turn out great either way. Second opinion is probably a good idea with such a large cost of repair.

Sorry about your Dad - I'm sure he would be happy knowing you loved the Jeep with him when you were young and continuing on the path.

Reactions: Lax22
I'll throw out my thoughts on axles. And these thoughts are coming from someone who bought and runs a Currie HP44 for the front and a Currie 60 in the rear.

If you are only going up to 35's then save some money and build up whatever axles you have, they can all be built to handle 35's.

If you want 37's or larger get yourself 60's or better.

Update on my Jeep...per my mechanic, both differentials need to be rebuilt or replaced. There is considerable rust inside both (which makes me think WTF? and wish I had a better history. Did it sit for a long time with diff leaks? How did the water get inside?) and there is flaking on the spider gears and the R&P. He doesn't want to rebuild them and thinks I should replace them. With there being rust inside of both, I can see going that route. I am about this close to just buying a pair of the G2 Core 44s at 5.13 ratio and a Detroit locker and be done. I definitely do not want to buy refurbished parts. And, it has to be cheaper to rebuild.

So, then I am thinking the Savvy 4" kit, 2 new G2 axle assemblies, Currie steering, sye and DS, new shocks, new wheels, 33" tires, and upgrade the brakes. Then drive it have as much fun as I can. Lol. I have been planning this venture for a bit and have the money. It's just not how I planned for it to go but what can you do, right?

I'd love feedback if you have it.

I would put eyes on the diffs before pulling the trigger on anything. Unless they were completely filled with water, it’s hard for me to believe that there is scale inside the pumpkins. I’ve seen slight rust on ring gears but never scale, and these are in old axles with manual hubs with mostly street miles and rarely in 4wheel drive.

Did you run the VIN before buying to see if it was in a flood or something?

I agree, if you truly need to rebuild the differentials, then re-gear to 5.13s and Yes spyder gears are easy to change. However, The rear 44 may have the factory limited slip, so you can upgrade to some kind of selectable traction control device at the same time if you choose.

The Dana 30 and 44 will be more than enough for what you plan to do. The mechanic may be trying to take advantage of you so tread lightly. Also if you can send some pictures, more experienced folks can provide better advice on a path forward.

Reactions: ranger101
I’m gonna need some pictures of these rusted internal differentials.

NOTHING you have said about this mechanic gives me the slightest amount of confidence. I would start shopping for someone else and definitely don’t buy new crate axles and let him install them.

The Jeep looks immaculate so I have a hard time believing the internals on your differentials are completely rusted.

Again, ask for PICS, LOTS OF PICS!!!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and input. I needed a lot of it to prevent me from making stupid decisions and wasting money. Lol! I just paid the mechanic for his time thus far and am picking it up this evening. I just need to find someone else knowledgeable in gearing and whatnot to take a look. I tell you, I feel a lot better about it now. I was sliding into a dumb decision and with some help, stopped myself.

Reactions: Vtx531 and TRE3TOP
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and input. I needed a lot of it to prevent me from making stupid decisions and wasting money. Lol! I just paid the mechanic for his time thus far and am picking it up this evening. I just need to find someone else knowledgeable in gearing and whatnot to take a look. I tell you, I feel a lot better about it now. I was sliding into a dumb decision and with some help, stopped myself.

Where in Ohio are you? @someguysjeep is in Ohio and may be able to offer some shop advice?

Oh, and when I asked him to grab a couple of photos before putting the covers back on he said he didn't take the covers off. He used a "really good" borescope. What?! I assume too much of people some times. He recommended replacing my differentials and didn't take the covers off. Yikes.

Oh, and when I asked him to grab a couple of photos before putting the covers back on he said he didn't take the covers off. He used a "really good" borescope. What?! I assume too much of people some times. He recommended replacing my differentials and didn't take the covers off. Yikes.

Pull the covers yourself and have a look with your own eyes. Might want to change the fluid anyway. It’s not all that difficult, but can be a messy job. If you were closer I’d lend a hand.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Pull the covers yourself and have a look with your own eyes. Might want to change the fluid anyway. It’s not all that difficult, but can be a messy job. If you were closer I’d lend a hand.

Funny, I just watched a couple of videos because that was my plan. I need to see this for myself and be more of active participant and not blindly rely on someone I hope I can trust. This is totally doable this weekend. I just need to grab some supplies. Our Saturday is booked but Sunday is looking good. I will be sure to post up pics of what I find. Thanks, Lax22!

Reactions: Lax22
Where in Ohio are you? @someguysjeep is in Ohio and may be able to offer some shop advice?

about 3 hrs south of me. closer to @taylormade73. i think there is a shop just over the river in KY he said the owner was a good guy IIRC.

for the OP.
diff covers are a good place to learn to make gaskets. and trying to do as much as you are able is gonna save you $ and learn you all about your new baby.

take pics and everyone can give better advice on the diff inners.

Reactions: tweezer and TRE3TOP
Go pick that thing up and bring it home before you lose $10k lol. Take an hour to remove the diff covers and swap some fresh fluid in. Take pictures for us to see what the mechanic is referring to. I’m willing to bet he’s seeing rust in the axle tubes

Reactions: tweezer
Alright, it is in my garage. Woohoo. Definitely some clunking in the rear end when starting from a complete stop and I noticed some squeaking/bird chirping that seems to go away at around 25mph. It started after about 20 minutes of driving. I wondered if it might be the brakes, but it only occurs when accelerating, not braking. Add it to the list. Lol.

IMG_1260.jpeg

chirping birds can be an alarm to needing a front driveshaft rebuild, and possibly the culprit for some clunking maybe.

chirping birds can be an alarm to needing a front driveshaft rebuild, and possibly the culprit for some clunking maybe.

That is good to know. Thanks! I thought I had read that but couldn't remember if it was rear or front.

That is good to know. Thanks! I thought I had read that but couldn't remember if it was rear or front.

it can be an indicator the centering ball is on the way out.. front, on TJ's with stock drive shafts.

if you're not sure how to do something or what you might need to do it, ask in advance.

Last edited:
If you are just North of Cinci, then you are really close to me. I am in Dayton and am willing to help. If you want to drive it up to Dayton, we can check it out and pull the covers if necessary. Let me know (PM me) and I’ll make time this weekend so you don’t have to spend unnecessary money.

If you are just North of Cinci, then you are really close to me. I am in Dayton and am willing to help. If you want to drive it up to Dayton, we can check it out and pull the covers if necessary. Let me know (PM me) and I’ll make time this weekend so you don’t have to spend unnecessary money.

I will send you a PM, but I want to say thank you. This community is amazing. I am going to pull both covers this weekend. I want to see firsthand and I will post pictures. I would love to connect with a local Jeep pro, so thank you again. I would love for someone in the know to drive it and tell me their thoughts. I haven't driven it a lot due to the diff issue, and I have owned it for just a few weeks, but every time I drive it I notice something new. @someguysjeep mentioned a shop in NKY. Is that Performance Offroad? I called Highlift Offroad today but haven't heard back from them. I am hoping to find someone to do my regear, install lockers, and remediate whatever is wrong with the diffs. I would have the lift, steering, etc. installed at the same time.