Twill or sailcloth?

tennant

TJ Enthusiast
Bestop twill or sailcloth replace-a-top? Pros v. cons... GO!!!!

Looking to buy a new replacement top. I have all the hardware parts. I also really like the clear windows.

Given the choice (and assuming you have the money) twill is the better option by far.

It's superior to sailcloth in every way. Quieter, warmer, thicker, etc. There's a reason BMW and all high end automotive manufacturers use it on their soft tops.

So how about this for pros and cons:

Twill
Pros: It's better than sailcloth
Cons: You can't afford it

Sailcloth
Pros: You can afford it
Cons: It's not as good as sailcloth

I take it you've been watching The Tonight Show? :LOL:

Anyways, the gist of things is that the only disadvantage of twill is the price.

Sailcloth would be (and was) my choice for my Jeep, I'd only go with twill for my BMW. I'd only go with the twill if the Jeep didn't offroad or didn't offroad where anything could rub up against it... like trees, bushes, rocks, etc.

Last edited:
I just purchased a Bestop Trektop NX in Twill about a month ago. Worth it to me. It's very quiet, no flapping. The quality of the material is top-notch, and the fit is perfect. I haven't owned it long enough for a long term review but in the short term worth every penny.

@Daz7 did a nice review on youtube, Bestop can just send the commission check straight to him because he sold it for me.

Twill
Pros: Deep black, thick, quiet, black inside too. looks nice, feels nice... you get it.
Cons: Hits the wallet pretty hard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
I went with Twill and am happy. It has gone up in price though and that is a concern. I have no cons other than my 1/2 doors don't match my top. I can live with that....well maybe. I might do something about it. My Jeep doesn't see off road or mud, but it is driven in winter and that hasn't been a problem.