Two sets of tires?

Rubirob

TJ Enthusiast
Does anyone run two different sets of tires that they swap out when doing different things with there Jeep? Maybe some ATs in the city and MTs when heading up the hill? Do you like having the options of either tire? Or do you find yourself keeping one set in the garage/shed and never using them?

When I got my Jeep it already had a brand new set of 31 MTs and I like them, but I want to be able to go to the snow, and I want to get a teardrop trailer for camping. I was thinking for both of those activity’s having all terrain tires might be a better suit.. I have already been looking at getting a new set of wheels in time and maybe just keeping my MTs for spring early summer when I might actually run on to mud when going on trails.. what do you guys think?

Is there a set of tires that you love and feel does it all pretty well? The last thing I want to do is slide into a tree when going up in the snow lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got a second set of rims for mine. Will put some day to day treads on them and save the big gnarly treads for the desert.

I just got a second set of rims for mine. Will put some day to day treads on them and save the big gnarly treads for the desert.

That’s kinda what I was thinking, I just wanted to see if people who have done it felt it was worth the money, and effort to switch them out when needed.

I'd wager most find the tire that works the best for most situations, due to storage limitations and the labor involved in swapping. That said, it would be ideal to have two sets if you could.

Reactions: tomtaylz
I just started having 2 sets of tires - 35" Cooper Discovery STT Pro's for summer, 33" Goodyear Duratrac for winter.
The Coopers are less than a week old - but I'm extremely pleased with how they handle in the city and in the mud.
I've been happy with the Duratrac's in snow.
Figured they will both last almost twice as long now, plus they'll both be in a 5 wheel rotation.
(Although the same logic can be said about buying 2 Jeeps...)
I'm considering manually adding more sips to the Duratrac now that it's going to be a dedicated snow tire.

Having said that, from 1998 - last week 2018, I only ran with 1 tire all year with minimal issues.

Reactions: alittleoff
If I had the space in my garage I would definitely do this. I'd keep my M/T tires for off-road, and then I'd have a set of A/T tires mounted to some other wheels that I could use in the Winter for driving in snow and such.

Reactions: Rubirob
In a perfect world...no. Beause the jeep would be a summer only/trail only rig :)

I just need a little more money to do it that way though.

In a perfect world...no. Beause the jeep would be a summer only/trail only rig :)

I just need a little more money to do it that way though.

I hear that, I have two cars my Jeep and a Scion tC.. I don’t like to let cars sit tho, so I drive the Jeep at least once a week.. or I rotate weeks. Scion one week, Jeep the next.. as for tires, my biggest reason for two sets is one for snow and hauling a trailer and one for muddy trails/rocks..

I went and camped at sly park here in California this last weekend and it inspired the thought.. my M/Ts were way over the top lol.. I didn’t need them, and I want a little teardrop trailer so I figured getting A/Ts would help a tad with the gas mileage I would lose with the trailer and double as a better set of tires for the snow

Before I retired, I ran 2 sets. 33" Duratrac's for the commute and non-tire threatening trails and 35" MT/R's (old style) for the fun trails.
Now that I am retired, new 37" on 17"'s, STT Pro's will be on the road to get to the trails.