U-joint Questions

Bargain Box

Stand back, I built this s*** myself...
Supporting Member
My question is concerning the correct joints to use and when to replace them. I have a 99 TJ at 160k miles with stock axles and driveshafts. Best I can tell, the joints are all original. I'm pulling the front axle shafts to do a locker. Got me thinking that I should change the joints while they are out. Then I started thinking about the driveshaft joints. Is it worth my time to change all these given the mileage? Based on other post the are the below numbers correct?

Spicer's 5-760 for front axle
5-1310x or 5-1330x for the driveshafts (what's the difference?)

Jerry is as always spot on with his information. For the front shaft make sure you don't overlook the socket yoke (centering ball). A spicer part number for the socket yoke is 211355X. This is for a greaseable socket yoke and your stock one is non-greaseable but the rubber boot/shield that seals in the grease on the non-greaseable version is probably cracked and bad anyway so it makes sense to convert this part to a greaseable part. The boot by the way sort of part of the weld yoke and does not come with the new socket yoke. That might all be confusing but the short of it is to get yourself a 211355X socket yoke and replace it. You can find a handy guide to rebuilding your shaft below.

https://4xshaft.com/blogs/general-tech-info-articles/diy-u-joint-replacement