UAW ready to strike

Apparition

Moab JuneFest 2024
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner

The UAW unveils major plan if talks with Big 3 automakers fail: The 'stand up strike'​

United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain has a big plan in case the Big Three automakers fail to agree on a new contract by the looming deadline: He calls it the "stand up strike."

Under the plan disclosed by Fain on Facebook Live on Wednesday, UAW union members would be instructed to strike suddenly at strategic, targeted auto plants — and additional locations would follow at a moment's notice, unless the automakers agree to new contracts before the current ones expire just before midnight on Thursday.

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/13/1199385180/uaw-strikes-big-three-ford-stellantis-gm-shawn-fain

1694708859968.png

Reactions: JustDandee
management as always wants to export more,
and pay less here by offering meager increases that are below inflation and COL increases

Man I struggle with where I am on this.

I've felt for a long time that unions had outlived their usefulness and now they just pad the pockets of their leadership collecting dues that they've lobbied to make mandatory, justifying their existence by demanding pay and benefits above and beyond what the labor market supports. We have OSHA now, no one is getting locked inside a burning textile factory or forced to work without PPE.

But on the other hand, I've grown disillusioned with the crony capitalist oligarchy we live under today and if the UAW getting 17 (!!!) annual paid holidays and awesome health insurance paves the way for the rest of us to get some of that at some point down the road...maybe it's not so bad. I'm past feeling sorry for powerful multinational corporations but I also know they'll just pass the costs onto their customers which even though I don't buy new vehicles will further fuel inflation in the used market.

One thing is for sure though, nothing ever really happens that doesn't benefit the elite.

Man I struggle with where I am on this.

I've felt for a long time that unions had outlived their usefulness and now they just pad the pockets of their leadership collecting dues that they've lobbied to make mandatory, justifying their existence by demanding pay and benefits above and beyond what the labor market supports. We have OSHA now, no one is getting locked inside a burning textile factory or forced to work without PPE.

But on the other hand, I've grown disillusioned with the crony capitalist oligarchy we live under today and if the UAW getting 17 (!!!) annual paid holidays and awesome health insurance paves the way for the rest of us to get some of that at some point down the road...maybe it's not so bad. I'm past feeling sorry for powerful multinational corporations but I also know they'll just pass the costs onto their customers which even though I don't buy new vehicles will further fuel inflation in the used market.

One thing is for sure though, nothing ever really happens that doesn't benefit the elite.

I feel that. I won’t bore anyone with my personal experience and stories from my family’s history which contain strong arguments both for and against unions. As with most controversial topics, it’s much more complicated than the extremes on either side would have you believe. I do miss the righteous fervor of my youth when I knew with profound certainty the clear difference between the right answers and the wrong ones. It was an illusion, but it sure was a comfortable one.

I do miss the righteous fervor of my youth when I knew with profound certainty the clear difference between the right answers and the wrong ones. It was an illusion, but it sure was a comfortable one.
Yep - when I was 18 or 20, I had it all figured out. Knew all the answers. Now, I don't even know the questions!

I feel that. I won’t bore anyone with my personal experience and stories from my family’s history which contain strong arguments both for and against unions. As with most controversial topics, it’s much more complicated than the extremes on either side would have you believe. I do miss the righteous fervor of my youth when I knew with profound certainty the clear difference between the right answers and the wrong ones. It was an illusion, but it sure was a comfortable one.

Oh, family history. I'm an engineer, son of an attorney, who was the son of a WW2 veteran and eventual bank president...so I'm 3 generations deep of salaried/exempt professionals and have mostly only heard the anti-union side.

I also witnessed a failed attempt at unionization at a former workplace and heard all the talking points from corporate about how things would be worse if the place had unionized. I agreed and still agree with the bulk of it.

But dang it if I'm not tired of watching the rich get richer and feeling like none of us, even the "upper middle class" have any of the happiness or the power or influence over our own destiny that the "American Dream" promised. Maybe at 40 I'm approaching that midlife crisis thing where I second guess my entire life but a line from Tony Stark in Avengers:Endgame (because I'm not too old to watch comic book movies) really hits hard: "No amount of money ever bought a second of time." and now having 10 more paid holidays and another week of vacation sound better than the money they'd be worth in a negotiation....take it a step further and it's not a stretch to question an entire career of working hard and building marketable skills to be valuable to make more money vs working on knowing how to find contentedness with less and just enjoying life.

And there is today's thread derailment/word vomit/forum therapy session.

Oh, family history. I'm an engineer, son of an attorney, who was the son of a WW2 veteran and eventual bank president...so I'm 3 generations deep of salaried/exempt professionals and have mostly only heard the anti-union side.

I also witnessed a failed attempt at unionization at a former workplace and heard all the talking points from corporate about how things would be worse if the place had unionized. I agreed and still agree with the bulk of it.

But dang it if I'm not tired of watching the rich get richer and feeling like none of us, even the "upper middle class" have any of the happiness or the power or influence over our own destiny that the "American Dream" promised. Maybe at 40 I'm approaching that midlife crisis thing where I second guess my entire life but a line from Tony Stark in Avengers:Endgame (because I'm not too old to watch comic book movies) really hits hard: "No amount of money ever bought a second of time." and now having 10 more paid holidays and another week of vacation sound better than the money they'd be worth in a negotiation....take it a step further and it's not a stretch to question an entire career of working hard and building marketable skills to be valuable to make more money vs working on knowing how to find contentedness with less and just enjoying life.

And there is today's thread derailment/word vomit/forum therapy session.

I've said this to many people I work with (and none seem to agree, likely because they live beyond their means) - I would trade most of (if not all of some years) our wage increases for more time off. I am in my 20's but have realized time spent with family, friends, and traveling bring me far more joy than extra money.

To your point, I am about at the crossroads of having to work more/make more money if I want to move up (which truthfully is not entirely necessary) or hold stagnant in my current position and try to be content.

I've said this to many people I work with (and none seem to agree, likely because they live beyond their means) - I would trade most of (if not all of some years) our wage increases for more time off. I am in my 20's but have realized time spent with family, friends, and traveling bring me far more joy than extra money.

To your point, I am about at the crossroads of having to work more/make more money if I want to move up (which truthfully is not entirely necessary) or hold stagnant in my current position and try to be content.

you've come to a realization that makes you wise beyond your years. I was you, 30 years ago, and like everyone else I was faced with the same choices you're now facing. I leaned heavily in the direction you are leaning and it worked like a charm. You simply cannot replace the truly important things in life, time with your family and friends, with money. I made the conscious decision to earn less money for my entire career so as not to miss anything I wanted to be part of, not many in my particular profession can say that. Are their bank accounts bigger today, some are, some aren't, as so many of them succumbed to lifestyle creep to such an extent that they're worse off than me now, and I always suspected that they spent wildly as the antidote to dull the pain of working so much.

'Contentedness' gets a bad rap, seems almost as though it's become synonymous with 'settling', or even mediocrity. That's a byproduct of our system in America where we've been encouraged to exceed all expectations and gain as much wealth as we're physically/mentally capable of. That, to me, has always been the best recipe for burn out, misery and regret. I'm certainly not opposed to hard work, been doing it my whole life, but I've always known when to put the work down, walk out the door, and go live my real life. I encourage you to stay on that same path.

Being content, after all, is by definition to live "in a state of peaceful happiness", what the hell could possibly be better.

Reactions: Chris and Shank
I would do almost anything for more time off. I get 3 weeks currently and won't get 4 weeks until I'm here for 10 years (4 to go) and that's the max. My wife on the other hand gets 6 weeks and has all the time in the world. Usually sells 2-3 weeks back at the end of the year because I don't have time to take off.

Reactions: Shank
None of this will change that. If costs go up, prices go up.

It does though, looking at the big picture. Costs go up = dollar worth less, which erodes our purchasing power. The elite already have limitless purchasing power so they don't care, and their wealth is in capital and investments which only go up in value due to inflation.

So if your reference point is the dollar, they get richer. If your reference point is the CPI, we get poorer. Either way, the disparity grows.

#wtfhappenedin1971

Reactions: Daryl
It does though, looking at the big picture. Costs go up = dollar worth less, which erodes our purchasing power. The elite already have limitless purchasing power so they don't care, and their wealth is in capital and investments which only go up in value due to inflation.

So if your reference point is the dollar, they get richer. If your reference point is the CPI, we get poorer. Either way, the disparity grows.

#wtfhappenedin1971

You read way more into that than I intended.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
you've come to a realization that makes you wise beyond your years. I was you, 30 years ago, and like everyone else I was faced with the same choices you're now facing. I leaned heavily in the direction you are leaning and it worked like a charm. You simply cannot replace the truly important things in life, time with your family and friends, with money. I made the conscious decision to earn less money for my entire career so as not to miss anything I wanted to be part of, not many in my particular profession can say that. Are their bank accounts bigger today, some are, some aren't, as so many of them succumbed to lifestyle creep to such an extent that they're worse off than me now, and I always suspected that they spent wildly as the antidote to dull the pain of working so much.

'Contentedness' gets a bad rap, seems almost as though it's become synonymous with 'settling', or even mediocrity. That's a byproduct of our system in America where we've been encouraged to exceed all expectations and gain as much wealth as we're physically/mentally capable of. That, to me, has always been the best recipe for burn out, misery and regret. I'm certainly not opposed to hard work, been doing it my whole life, but I've always known when to put the work down, walk out the door, and go live my real life. I encourage you to stay on that same path.

Being content, after all, is by definition to live "in a state of peaceful happiness", what the hell could possibly be better.

This is certainly a learned behavior for me. I have always hung around adults when I was younger, and now take a fair amount of career advice from people double my age (and also got hooked on Jeeps from one of them :rolleyes: ). I also hear stories of my dad working 80-100 hours every week when he owned a shop. When I was in high school I had that sort of work desire. I never vacationed and hardly took off work at the beginning of my career. Then I started dating my now wife, started camping, traveling, etc and it was a pretty big change in my life.

I would do almost anything for more time off. I get 3 weeks currently and won't get 4 weeks until I'm here for 10 years (4 to go) and that's the max. My wife on the other hand gets 6 weeks and has all the time in the world. Usually sells 2-3 weeks back at the end of the year because I don't have time to take off.
I currently have 2 weeks vacation, one week of personal time (vacation that you can take whenever you want, I could leave work now). I get a 3rd week of vacation in 2025.

My wife has about the same as I do. It is a serious consideration in staying at both of our jobs. We want to be able to take a 2-3 week trip out west every year plus have other days off for normal stuff. It really isn't attainable now (2 weeks is but it's still a little tight - we want to drive out and 2 weeks isn't enough). I even could (and would) be willing to keep up with my current work in the middle of the trip on my laptop to make it less burdensome on the company.

There is a real shift in mentality of workers. I am one of the "future leaders" here and it is still perplexing to me that they won't discuss what the younger generation is looking for.

We complain about the elite, but half the stock is owed by people's 401ks. That if they didn't see returns they would switch out of to a higher return fund.

https://www.fool.com/research/how-many-americans-own-stock/
I'm sure my retirement funds will divest in automakers as their profits and quarterly returns drop.

If the UAW didn't affect politics so much, I might agree with some of their wild demands. But they buy off dems who drive the country into the ground long term, for short term personal gain. Just like the elites.

Last edited: