Uneven tire wear (camber adjustment?)

JoeSpit

Hey gang so my tires are wearing super fast and uneven (/—-\) inside tread wear

I'm new to that jeep life and 4x4 in general but been a motor head for years but as another non tj centered forum scoffed at me, we cant adjust camber. that true?

i was gonna order some camber shims or bolts after i brought it to alignment shop to see the degrees off.

Now i already changed out the upper ball joint on the passenger side and i am planning a 2.5'' lift kit.

Do yous think the new springs and shocks would remedy it?

its a 2000 4cly with 3spd at 150k miles on it. that also looks like its gonna need all new tie rod/steering rubber any way

The only way you could adjust camber on your TJ is with certain ball joints. However, that's a band-aid to a problem you shouldn't have to begin with.

When is the last time you replaced the ball joints, or do you know?

What psi are you running in your tires? When is the last time you had the vehicle aligned?

See this thread for how to align it yourself (it's very easy). My guess is that it's related to your toe-in.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-align-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.85/

I replaced all the ball joints last year along with new drag link , tie rod, steering stabilizer, new tires and shocks! I counted the threads when I took the tie rod and drag link off, but I must have been on drugs when I put them together because it was obvious that it was struggling. My gas mileage was atrocious!
A simple tape measure from outside groove in the tires, front and back, showed me it was duck footed by about a quarter inch. I used the tie rod and pulled it down to 1/8 inch closer in the front than back and life was good,
Not complicated! Literally use a tape measure.

The only way you could adjust camber on your TJ is with certain ball joints. However, that's a band-aid to a problem you shouldn't have to begin with.

When is the last time you replaced the ball joints, or do you know?

What psi are you running in your tires? When is the last time you had the vehicle aligned?

See this thread for how to align it yourself (it's very easy). My guess is that it's related to your toe-in.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-align-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.85/
it hasnt been aligned yet. when i went to goodyear they said i needed a new passenger upper ball joint and steering stabilizer. they wanted 800 for it, so i did it all infront of the auto zone of course.
Excessive inside tire wear like you described is more likely caused by insufficient toe-in which is easily adjusted. Read the alignment thread at https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-align-your-jeep-wrangler-tj.85/
I replaced all the ball joints last year along with new drag link , tie rod, steering stabilizer, new tires and shocks! I counted the threads when I took the tie rod and drag link off, but I must have been on drugs when I put them together because it was obvious that it was struggling. My gas mileage was atrocious!
A simple tape measure from outside groove in the tires, front and back, showed me it was duck footed by about a quarter inch. I used the tie rod and pulled it down to 1/8 inch closer in the front than back and life was good,
Not complicated! Literally use a tape measure.
thanks gang ill check that tomorrow..

my t-case linkage just unlinked today (dont worry i still made it outta the hole )so i gotta take a look and see whats missing in the daylight.

anyone know a good t-case resource?

it hasnt been aligned yet. when i went to goodyear they said i needed a new passenger upper ball joint and steering stabilizer. they wanted 800 for it, so i did it all infront of the auto zone of course.

thanks gang ill check that tomorrow..

my t-case linkage just unlinked today (dont worry i still made it outta the hole )so i gotta take a look and see whats missing in the daylight.

anyone know a good t-case resource?
Did you replace the lower ball joint when you did the upper? You can do the alignment yourself the how to here is a good resource.

Did you replace the lower ball joint when you did the upper? You can do the alignment yourself the how to here is a good resource.
no the lower was still decent but i realized after when i watched a video on how to (you know,; cut first, never measure) and saw that you pretty much have to remove upper to remove lower ... d'oh, well

I wouldn't drive it without checking/setting the toe-in that is probably bad. A bad toe-in can cause dramatic wear to the front tires pretty quickly.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I wouldn't drive it without checking/setting the toe-in that is probably bad. A bad toe-in can cause dramatic wear to the front tires pretty quickly.
agreed and thanks for the great resorce gonna go get the tubes and da clamps and set it today.

guess if i upgrade tire size or do suspension lift ill need to re toe?

no the lower was still decent but i realized after when i watched a video on how to (you know,; cut first, never measure) and saw that you pretty much have to remove upper to remove lower ... d'oh, well

Yeah that is why Spicer sells their as a set. If the upper is bad the lower is usually on its way out as well.
agreed and thanks for the great resorce gonna go get the tubes and da clamps and set it today.

guess if i upgrade tire size or do suspension lift ill need to re toe?

Yes

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
alright well I adjusted the tow to the specifications but now it would appear that the steering wheel is off slightly to the driver side.

i found it was easier to twist the tie rod near the ends rather than the middle and did the majority of the twisting on the drivers side... but that shouldnt matter right? its just a big metal rod, so it should adjust both side regardless, yeah?

adjust your drag link to bring steering wheel back to center that is the long bar that runs from the pittman arm which is attached to bottom of your steering gear box and then runs to your passenger side tie rod

As above, just adjust (rotate) the 5" long adjustment link located on the drag link to rotate the steering wheel where it needs to be.

Since your steering wheel is a little to the left when driving straight that means the drag link is now a shade too long after adjusting the toe-in. After loosening the link's two nuts and bolts that hold it in place, rotate the adjustment link so its front moves up very slightly which will shorten the drag link. Move it just a touch at a time and drive up & down the street just enough to see when the steering wheel is straight. After the steering wheel is straight tighten the adjustment link's pair of nuts and bolts to clamp it back into place.

The steering wheel's drag link adjustment link is circled here...

Front-end with adjustment circled.jpg

Just completed a full Jeep TJ Dana 30 rebuild
New Upper Lower BJ
New Upper Lower Control Arms
New Upper Johnny Joints
New Lower Artec Control Arm mounts on Axle
New Tie Rods
New Axle Seals Ring and Pinion Races and Bearings
New Coil Springs and Shocks and Bump stops
If you have any questions Pm me
New Sway Bar Bushing
IMG_3846.JPG
IMG_3849 (2).JPG

also I found that setting the Toe was much more accurate with the tires of the rims/ wheels see first picture notice no tires mounted

you guys are amazing.

i can feel how much smoother the jeep runs now... ill fix the steering wheel later as im all cleaned up.

next i got my 2'' lug adapters in for some newer used wheels and tires and then a 2.5'' lift

thanks again to yous all!