Universal joint shell stuck

Althea

60A1C95C-AD1E-4065-961B-D16DAAE6755E.jpeg
Ll

7D2F6EC1-77EF-4245-B2F3-92DF3DA0E02E.jpeg

If you have a die grinder and carbide burr you can thin it down in one spot and the crack it.

I
If you have a die grinder and carbide burr you can thin it down in one spot and the crack it.
I did think of using my grinder, I have a diamond blade, it I really think it should be pressed out with a press so as to not damage it “anymore”

I

I did think of using my grinder, I have a diamond blade, it I really think it should be pressed out with a press so as to not damage it “anymore”
A die grinder properly applied will cause no further damage. Improper pressing will cause more damage.

try getting a ball joint/ u-joint press from the autozone loan a tool . makes removing even the worst stuck u-joints easy. dont ask for the u-joint press, they'll just scratch their head and say we dont have that...so ask for the ball joint press, they know what that is (it says ball joint/ u-joint press

“Properly applied”is what I’m not confident about. I can see shaving the cap but the inside is still stuck.
Use a Dremel instead. That's what I did with a similar stuck u-joint.

It will be slow going, but that's a good thing in this case. That gives you time to see what you're doing and make sure you don't go too far.

Also, the smaller tips may allow you to get at the inside of the cap to break it down.

It's been a while since I've seen one like that and I'm in the rust belt of Ohio where they can't resist salting the roads.

My suggestion for heat is to heat that cap, not the yoke itself. Yes that cap will expand and get tighter but when it cools off it will be easier to pound out.

"A die grinder properly applied" doesn't necessarily require grinding all the way through the cap which could end up getting into the yoke. Just grinding somewhat into it in a couple places before adding the heat should also help. Now that I've typed that, I think a hack saw run through that hole will also work to cut into (but not through) that cap in a couple places.

Reactions: fuse
try getting a ball joint/ u-joint press from the autozone loan a tool . makes removing even the worst stuck u-joints easy. dont ask for the u-joint press, they'll just scratch their head and say we dont have that...so ask for the ball joint press, they know what that is (it says ball joint/ u-joint press
yea now that i look at it closer, that is what this tooling is made for. so if i was you i would cut the lugs off the cap then after you get the old cap removed weld the lug back together and install new u-joint ! 🤔

Use a Dremel instead. That's what I did with a similar stuck u-joint.

It will be slow going, but that's a good thing in this case. That gives you time to see what you're doing and make sure you don't go too far.

Also, the smaller tips may allow you to get at the inside of the cap to break it down.
I was thinking a Dremel would be a good choice....I don’t have one, but I’ll buy one as it’s also needed to cut off wheel bearings when I make my way to fix the seal on my rear.

Reactions: fuse
That’s a good idea!

It's been a while since I've seen one like that and I'm in the rust belt of Ohio where they can't resist salting the roads.

My suggestion for heat is to heat that cap, not the yoke itself. Yes that cap will expand and get tighter but when it cools off it will be easier to pound out.

"A die grinder properly applied" doesn't necessarily require grinding all the way through the cap which could end up getting into the yoke. Just grinding somewhat into it in a couple places before adding the heat should also help. Now that I've typed that, I think a hack saw run through that hole will also work to cut into (but not through) that cap in a couple places.
A hacksaw blade is a great idea!!!
I live in a rainforest in Hawaii, so ya RUST IS REAL here too!

Last edited:
I’m not sure what the “lugs” are, but if you mean the remainder of the cap, I was thinking I may be able to use a chisel to knock them in enough to possibly break the vacuum.
I don’t have a welder.