Unpopular hot take / change my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only pluses I see:
*Better than having nothing at all.
*Maybe better gas milage?
*Less weight than a 6.
*You get to have a good look at all the vehicles as they pass you by.
*2 less spark plugs to buy.
*Less chance of getting a speeding ticket on the Interstate.
*Manual lets you use what power you have. I do prefer a manual for my style of driving.
😉

1711165035445.gif

on the pro side, you’ll be less tempted to sell since 4cyl prices aren’t that great.

Also when you buy a real TJ you can swap in the 4.10 axles out of it and then sell the 4cyl with your 3.07’s under it to some sucker who thought they were gonna do the same but didn’t actually check the ratio.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RangerTJ and Rickyd
The only thing better about a 4 banger is the choice between stroker or v8 swap is a lot easier.

Pretty sure this is a troll job anyways though along with several other posts I've seen recently.

Reactions: hear
(Manual) TJ 4 cylinder’s are better than TJ 6 cylinders.

With the exception being maybe highway driving

🎤 💥

Feel free to explain. I have a manual 4 cylinder, no, it is not better. The 2.4 sucks for a lot of reasons. On stock axles and 31's or 33's, they use a lot more clutch control than I like to get going from a stop. Blocks are scarce, timing belt, low end torque is pretty non-existent, very little technical support, and just doesn't really belong in a Jeep. PT Cruisers and turbocharged Neons, sure. Not a steel brick that protests against headwinds.

The 2.5 on the other hand, is much more robust. I've driven a 2.5 once in an '02 TJ and it was okay, as is the 2.4 in my '03. The AMC 2.5 (properly geared) is a decent engine. That said, if people are willing to pay much more for a 6 cylinder than a very similar engine with minus 2 cylinders, I think that's all you need to know.

Interesting bait though. There are some "pros". There's more room to work. Radiator replacement is easier, belt-driven components are easier to replace, etc. You do get an extra 1-2 MPG. The issue is when people run 33's or 35's on stock axles and a 4 banger and is worthless above 45 MPH and has to be kept at 2800 RPM to maintain road speed. I bought my 2.4 with 33's on it and it made almost no sense to me and wasn't good for anything except going down the driveway and back :LOL:. Properly geared, there's a lot of people who have fun with 4 cylinder TJ's/YJ's that don't mind a bit less low end torque and giving up the freeway. Personally, if I were to have done it all over again, I would've waited for prices to fall in October and bought a rust free 4.0. I wasn't looking long enough or hard enough for the right one and now I block up traffic lol.

In my honest and conclusive opinion, all 3 of the TJ motors can last the life of the vehicle. But two of them are slow as shit, and people like the 3rd for many reasons.

Last edited:
on the pro side, you’ll be less tempted to sell since 4cyl prices aren’t that great.

Also when you buy a real TJ you can swap in the 4.10 axles out of it and then sell the 4cyl with your 3.07’s under it to some sucker who thought they were gonna do the same but didn’t actually check the ratio.

If you test drove a 4 cyl TJ on 3.07's and didn't pick up on anything odd, that's tough...

Also, for the fuel economy part... you get an extra maybe 1 or 2? I don't floor it and shift at around 2800 RPM and get about 18-19 MPG. On the highway it tanks to like 10 because just to keep up you're at 3 grand. In stop and go traffic with 31's and stock axles, it's even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.