Upgrade Dana 35 or save my money ?

RL_MJ

Currently own a Dana 35 and Dana 30 combo , I’ve been hearing a lot about Dana 35s being a bad axle . Mounted on a 98 tj sport , want to run 33s in the future here soon but have a stock axle . Any ideas/suggestions?

Currently own a Dana 35 and Dana 30 combo , I’ve been hearing a lot about Dana 35s being a bad axle . Mounted on a 98 tj sport , want to run 33s in the future here soon but have a stock axle . Any ideas/suggestions?
So long as you don't drive it like an idiot or install a locker into your Dana 35, it is usually fine with 33" tires. If you also want to install a locker, you need to upgrade its axle shafts with a Super 35 kit.

Reactions: ICDGary
I’m running stock gear ratio right now ,4.0 inline 6 , and manual 5 spd trans not sure which one . Was thinking of re gearing and putting new axle shafts as well once I go 33s but if I go with a super 35 around the same price I can go with a used Dana 44 or 8.8 , my question is should I go with the money or just swap and have a 44/30 combo ?

The used 44 may still need a rebuild, probably would need correct gears, setup, etc.

Food for thought...

I’m running stock gear ratio right now ,4.0 inline 6 , and manual 5 spd trans not sure which one . Was thinking of re gearing and putting new axle shafts as well once I go 33s but if I go with a super 35 around the same price I can go with a used Dana 44 or 8.8 , my question is should I go with the money or just swap and have a 44/30 combo ?

You have an AX-15 transmission. As Blaine and many others have said before if you are buying a used Dana 44 and then plan on regearing it unless it is in AWESOME shape basically all you are buying is the housing. It is something to consider. If 33" tires are as large as you are going to go or 35" tires at some point then as has been pointed out many times a Super 35 is a good upgrade. I have no experiance with the Super 35 but I do believe others who do have experiance with it. As long as one of the lockers available for the 30 spline axle shafts work for you then it is a good upgrade.
If you want a stronger axle then yes a Dana 44 or 8.8 is an option but a 8.8 costs extra money for the removal of the old brackets and then welding on the required TJ brackets.
If you can find a TJ Dana 44 you are lucky and if it costs under $1K you're even luckier. But once you get the said Dana 44 or 8.8 you still have to regear it and add a locker if that is what you are trying to do.

With the skyhigh cost of a typical used TJ Dana 44 (if you can even find one) combined with the cost of regearing/rebuilding it it, you'd very likely come out $$$ ahead with Revolution Gear's Super 35 kit which includes a locker, bearings, and 30 spline 1541H axle shafts that are slightly stronger than the OE carbon steel 30 spline axle shafts that come in a TJ Dana 44.

So long as you don't drive it like an idiot or install a locker into your Dana 35, it is usually fine with 33" tires. If you also want to install a locker, you need to upgrade its axle shafts with a Super 35 kit.
Jerry, is it just the axles shafts that will need swapping to the Super 35 kit to hopefully salvage a lunchbox lockered Dana 35 from an inevitable explosive future? In other words, besides driving like a mellow fellow on pavement and not hammering the skinny pedal while airborne, would I just be in for swapping the axles shafts themselves if I am planning on keeping my existing gearing and other rearend equipment (at least in the near short term)?

Installing a Super 35 converts the shafts from 27 to the larger diameter 30 spline size so the existing 27 spline lunchbox locker and 27 spline carrier would have to come out. Revolution Gear's Super 35 kit replaces all that. Not to mention a lunchbox locker is a bad idea in any rear axle, they're weak and poorly behaved when in a rear axle.

Reactions: ICDGary
Installing a Super 35 converts the shafts from 27 to the larger diameter 30 spline size so the existing 27 spline lunchbox locker and 27 spline carrier would have to come out. Revolution Gear's Super 35 kit replaces all that. Not to mention a lunchbox locker is a bad idea in any rear axle, they're weak and poorly behaved when in a rear axle.
10-4, that's what I thought, that I would be in for other parts as well, it wasn't just an axle swap. Thank you sir!

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
So let’s say I went with the super 35 kit . Would I still have to re gear afterwards also? Or do they come with that Included

I would do everything at once to save on labor costs. Regear, Super 35 kit with a Detroit locker. The Super 35 kit with the DL will be about $1000. Revolution gears, Dana 30 master rebuilt kit and and new carrier for the Dana 30 will be around $550-$600. Then add ~$1000 for labor, oil ,ect. If you plan to do anything in the front now would be the time, i.e. no slip locker - $450. So this would get you to over $3k and while you have the front axles out I would go ahead and install Spicer 5-760x u-joints which would add another $100. At this point you should be good to go up to 35s.

For 33s and light trail riding. You could do the regear only and call it a day. I would have the Spicer 5-760x u joints installed just for piece of mind. That should put you in the $1500-$1800 ballpark depending on labor costs in your area. And you could also add the Revolution 27 spline 1541H axle shafts, which will give you some added strength for another $200. All in $2K+.