Upgrade opinions

mateocubillos

Hey everyone. i got a 2002 2.5, and i’m dying to get a 4.0. i’ve got my eye on 4 options and yes i’m aware it all depends on the car itself but i’m still relatively new to TJ’s so i wanted an input as to what years are recommended and what’s good/bad about these specifically if anyone has any input i’d really appreciate! they’re all around the same price.

• 1997 Jeep Wrangler (don’t know if sport or sahara) - 180k miles (have yet to see/drive jeep, was just contacted by the guy that sold me my 2.5 that he had a 97 4.0 coming in)
  • 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 160k miles (1 owner, redone frame 4 years ago, rough interior, small exterior rust spots, half doors no rear window, stock)
  • 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 215k miles (incredibly clean frame interior and exterior, comes with soft and hard top, stock ride with new tires, very well maintained)
  • 2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 199k miles (a few minor rust spots on doors and side fender panel but good frame, 2.5 inch suspension lift, good 33 inch tires)
they’re all auto by chance, but also i just prefer dailying an auto as traffic can get pretty frequent in my work commute.

I’d go for the 05 sport then possibly the 97 depending on its condition. The 97 has a better transmission than the 05 auto but I would let that guide be away from a well taken care of 17 year old Jeep that are notorious for rust problems if not maintained.

Hey everyone. i got a 2002 2.5, and i’m dying to get a 4.0. i’ve got my eye on 4 options and yes i’m aware it all depends on the car itself but i’m still relatively new to TJ’s so i wanted an input as to what years are recommended and what’s good/bad about these specifically if anyone has any input i’d really appreciate! they’re all around the same price.

• 1997 Jeep Wrangler (don’t know if sport or sahara) - 180k miles (have yet to see/drive jeep, was just contacted by the guy that sold me my 2.5 that he had a 97 4.0 coming in)
  • 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 160k miles (1 owner, redone frame 4 years ago, rough interior, small exterior rust spots, half doors no rear window, stock)
  • 2005 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 215k miles (incredibly clean frame interior and exterior, comes with soft and hard top, stock ride with new tires, very well maintained)
  • 2006 Jeep Wrangler Sport - 199k miles (a few minor rust spots on doors and side fender panel but good frame, 2.5 inch suspension lift, good 33 inch tires)
they’re all auto by chance, but also i just prefer dailying an auto as traffic can get pretty frequent in my work commute.

I’d go with the 05’

Reactions: Zorba
I’d go for the 05 sport then possibly the 97 depending on its condition. The 97 has a better transmission than the 05 auto but I would let that guide be away from a well taken care of 17 year old Jeep that are notorious for rust problems if not maintained.

I agree, im a little weary of it being the highest mileage, im very intrigued by the 06. guy daily’d it for 5 years, already has wheel/tires that i want and lift, is there a big difference from the 05 to 06?

budget permitting i’d love an option #5😅 just hard to find a phenomenal jeep for a price i’m able to pay in Connecticut with the abuse these TJ’s go through

I know the feeling. I looked at a super clean Rubicon auto with 140,000 miles the other day ($11,500). It looked excellent and the frame was super clean with no signs of rust cover-ups..............................UNTIL I stuck my fingers in the frame and it was 1" deep of huge rust chips (all the way down the middle frame). The guy sold it the next day to someone who apparently didn't look at the inside of the frame.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Irun
In your area I'd pick whichever one has the least amount of rust. Miles would be of little concern to me. Anything mechanical can be fixed/addressed, relatively cheaply/easily, when compared to doing rust repair.

Reactions: jeepguy03
I’d try to find something without rust for sure. Something that looks well maintained and Stay away from anything lifted with

ABEC9D89-47B6-47F4-BDD7-3596B07ACAF4.jpeg
You’ll just be removing it later.

I agree, im a little weary of it being the highest mileage, im very intrigued by the 06. guy daily’d it for 5 years, already has wheel/tires that i want and lift, is there a big difference from the 05 to 06?

Mileage is irrelevant. There’s going to be little different in 150-200k. Rust is your main avoidance. And I would take a 200k mile maintained Jeep long before a lower mileage Jeep that had rust. Since they are all the same price,, the 05 is really the only one to consider based on your descriptions. Don’t get enamored by wheels and tires if the vehicle sucks. Those can always be added later.

Also, if you are in the area, our club is hosting a cruise night tonight at Cabela's. The guy selling the jeep won't be there as he just had knee surgery but you could come out and meet some local folks

Mileage is irrelevant. There’s going to be little different in 150-200k. Rust is your main avoidance. And I would take a 200k mile maintained Jeep long before a lower mileage Jeep that had rust. Since they are all the same price,, the 05 is really the only one to consider based on your descriptions. Don’t get enamored by wheels and tires if the vehicle sucks. Those can always be added later.

This 100%. My TJ is from California and has 160k miles, but a spotless frame. I had it shipped to New England where even Jeeps with 80k miles look like they have been on the bottom of the ocean. The process was kind of a pain, but totally worth it. I advise anyone looking for a TJ to expand your search to Jeeps that come from non-salt belt states. It's actually enjoyable to work on it when you don't need a torch, air hammer, and 3 gallons of Kroil for every single project.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
This 100%. My TJ is from California and has 160k miles, but a spotless frame. I had it shipped to New England where even Jeeps with 80k miles look like they have been on the bottom of the ocean. The process was kind of a pain, but totally worth it. I advise anyone looking for a TJ to expand your search to Jeeps that come from non-salt belt states. It's actually enjoyable to work on it when you don't need a torch, air hammer, and 3 gallons of Kroil for every single project.

And, you are saying there are no non rusty frames from salt belt states?