Upgrading differentials

I’ve decided to go with the powertrax NS front/Trutrac rear combo. I think it will work out best for the wheeling I do. I’d love to have selectable lockers front and back but just can’t justify spending that much in addition to the regear.
I would love to hear your feedback after you complete your locker addition. I'm looking to do the same set up. except maybe an 8.8 LSD rear diff.

What about a steering box brace? Is it needed after adding a front locker? I can see how lockers can add more stress to the steering gear, so I guess it makes sense. I have a 79 Chevy 4X4 that I added frame support for the steering gear because they are known for cracking the frame at the gear mount.

I would love to hear your feedback after you complete your locker addition. I'm looking to do the same set up. except maybe an 8.8 LSD rear diff.
I already have the automatic locker in the front. It has made a huge improvement off-roading. A great low cost performance mod if you install yourself.

What about a steering box brace? Is it needed after adding a front locker? I can see how lockers can add more stress to the steering gear, so I guess it makes sense. I have a 79 Chevy 4X4 that I added frame support for the steering gear because they are known for cracking the frame at the gear mount.
As far as I know, the lunchbox locker is installed with no further modifications. That’s what makes it low cost, high reward performance mod. Can be installed in a stock Dana 30 front axle. Only downside is it is highly suggested against installing if it will be heavily used on snow and ice conditions.

I’ve decided to go with the powertrax NS front/Trutrac rear combo. I think it will work out best for the wheeling I do. I’d love to have selectable lockers front and back but just can’t justify spending that much in addition to the regear.
I just made the same decision on my TJ also. After reading the reviews on the no slip, seems like it is perfect for my TJ that I might offroad 3 or 4 times a year, and that would be very mild trails just for the scenic adventure.

Just ordered off quadratec for 420.00 or something like that.

I put an Aussie locker in my XJ and was very pleased with its performance but it clicks alot when I make turns.

Reactions: jazngab and TJMIKE

I think the best advice is that if you believe you are in need of a steering box brace, you are really in need of hydro assist to take the load off of the box.

Reactions: TJMIKE
I just made the same decision on my TJ also. After reading the reviews on the no slip, seems like it is perfect for my TJ that I might offroad 3 or 4 times a year, and that would be very mild trails just for the scenic adventure.

Just ordered off quadratec for 420.00 or something like that.

I put an Aussie locker in my XJ and was very pleased with its performance but it clicks alot when I make turns.
I ordered mine from Quadratec also. It arrived today.

Reactions: jazngab