Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

I would advise everyone to learn or figure out how to set the gain correctly, doesn’t matter how much money you spend, if you are clipping the hell out of your speakers then they are going to sounds like ass.

Reactions: Zorba
Ahhh, yeah that might defeat the purpose of those sound pods, but it's worth a try.

I think they'd still work/help pretty well. They'd still be blocking sound from coming around the front edge of the speaker and cancelling the front sound wave (since the rear wave is out of phase with the front).

I think they'd still work/help pretty well. They'd still be blocking sound from coming around the front edge of the speaker and cancelling the front sound wave (since the rear wave is out of phase with the front).
big news and a key point to all that are interested! I cut the back of the sound pods to fit the magnet and then lined the outside with sound deadener. i also jammed a lot of poly fill behind where the cutout was and then all around to gain more enclosure. The end result was at least a 60% increase in sound and what I would say was very good quality with decent bass. I owned a 99 back in 2000 and had a very high end system. These fronts play better than I have ever heard!

Reactions: skrelnik
41 pages is a lot to try and catch up on...........

i lost my speaker pods due to a bar change. do we have a source for new housings for those speakers that can be relocated.
or what are some not to expensive alternatives.

i thought of finding some small outdoor speakers but, just haven't dedicated any time to it.

big news and a key point to all that are interested! I cut the back of the sound pods to fit the magnet and then lined the outside with sound deadener. i also jammed a lot of poly fill behind where the cutout was and then all around to gain more enclosure. The end result was at least a 60% increase in sound and what I would say was very good quality with decent bass. I owned a 99 back in 2000 and had a very high end system. These fronts play better than I have ever heard!

Interesting to hear. And actually, there's another thread on here where an audiophile argues that if you use baffles or pods, you should leave some holes in the back, to allow enough airflow that you don't get compromised frequency response from the cone. Not that I would know, but it's something to consider I reckon. I think the thread was called "This is why your dash speakers suck".

41 pages is a lot to try and catch up on...........

i lost my speaker pods due to a bar change. do we have a source for new housings for those speakers that can be relocated.
or what are some not to expensive alternatives.

i thought of finding some small outdoor speakers but, just haven't dedicated any time to it.

Hey, there are lots of options. Do you want them to go on your sound bar again, or are you open to putting them somewhere else? Select Increments is a site that makes a lot of different pods, for various locations. And then there other brands like the good old "sound wedges" that came out so long ago. I still want a pair of those, only because I thought they were so cool when I was 18.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Interesting to hear. And actually, there's another thread on here where an audiophile argues that if you use baffles or pods, you should leave some holes in the back, to allow enough airflow that you don't get compromised frequency response from the cone. Not that I would know, but it's something to consider I reckon. I think the thread was called "This is why your dash speakers suck".
Haha! Yes, I read that one as well! I was super pissed about the sound quality or lack of volume despite packing with poly fill. I had the enclosures ready to return when I was like, something is better than nothing. I recalled that thread and it made a lot of sense. Well, it’s totally worth it if you want a better soundstage. I think those Select Increment enclosures are probably the best approach. I actually showed my kids by mocking it up and then placing speaker in it and then out while it was on. All of them were very impressed.

Reactions: SSTJ
If you put a speaker in an entirely sealed enclosure, it will inhibit cone movement by first trying to compress the air inside, then trying to pull a vacuum on it. It doesn't take much of a hole to eliminate that problem. Port tuning is an entirely different subject.

Reactions: Reign Mack and SSTJ
I'd like to upgrade my head unit! I would lose my lifetime satellite if I replaced my factory stereo. :( Think I could have a decent system with a factory head unit?
These days your head unit unless you want the apps etc is the last to upgrade if sound is what you’re wanting. A lot of amps and dsps not take the signal from the head unit and sum it and then take that in and deliver true Hi-Fi singnals to your speakers. So there are options if SQ is what you’re after.

Reactions: b0xcar
I'm in the process of upgrading the speakers in my sound pods while chasing down some audio issues. I figure I'll gently stuff them with polyfil while I'm in there.

Do I need to keep the polyfil away from the back of the overhead lights? Or is the heat from the bulbs not really an issue?
A better option is to line the inside of the overhead pods with road kill or similar. That stiffens them up and makes an enormous difference. Poly...I doubt you’d ever hear the difference with or without.

yes but cut the back out so they don’t create a sealed enclosure. These infinite baffle speakers need air behind magnet and as you say all you really need are rings or similar to channel the sound to the grill and out into the car.

Hey, there are lots of options. Do you want them to go on your sound bar again, or are you open to putting them somewhere else? Select Increments is a site that makes a lot of different pods, for various locations. And then there other brands like the good old "sound wedges" that came out so long ago. I still want a pair of those, only because I thought they were so cool when I was 18.
i had the twin pods, not the bar, they just don't fit anywhere as is. i was kinda hoping there might be a small cheap water resistant enclosure those rounds might fit into.

TBH i think i may be best off with some inexpensive waterproof marine speakers. maybe a couple bar clamps to hang um.

Kenwood KMM-BT322 Digital Media Receiver
@Chris are you still happy with this? Someone gave me the the marine unit version but the volume/function knob doesn’t work but since I’ve already got the wiring harness done I was looking at getting a replacement.

@Chris are you still happy with this? Someone gave me the the marine unit version but the volume/function knob doesn’t work but since I’ve already got the wiring harness done I was looking at getting a replacement.
I replaced the stock head unit with a Kenwood BT-322 media player right after I got my LJ keeping the stock speakers and subwoofer setup. Sounded good and a nice enough unit, but like most single DINs, the buttons were a bit small for my fat fingers. And then I started having issues with the blue tooth connection with my iphone. I replaced it with a double DIN Sony media player head unit and have since replaced the speakers with larger Sony speakers (6.5 in the pods and 4x6 in the dash) except for the subwoofer.

From what I gather from reading online, the Kenwood has issues with playing nicely with iphones. Could be the Apple stuff not wanting to play nice with Kenwood, I don't know. Either way, I need the hands free for my phone and it was cheaper to replace the media than the phone.