Used Warn M8000 or new Warn VR 8?

srimes

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I'm shopping for a winch and it looks like I can get a warn if I stick with steel cable. There's a used, newer m8000 for $550 w/ wired and wireless controllers. Or I could get a newer VR 8 fro $590. What would you get?

X_hSlpM&tn=67ibwN1k8niWqU4r&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

If you are willing to do maintenance on it I would go with the M8. If the VR you are looking at is the new Evo it will be better sealed but IMO not as well built.

I'm shopping for a winch and it looks like I can ge
9A16FC38-79C9-47E4-813C-D99913CEF795.jpeg
t a warn if I stick with steel cable. There's a used, newer m8000 for $550 w/ wired and wireless controllers. Or I could get a newer VR 8 fro $590. What would you get?

View attachment 298074
Srimes
Don’t get me wrong, Its not my intention putting the other models down, but I’m sold on the old fashioned WARN 8274

It’s a brute.

Fast, reliable and holds 150 feet of cable or rope, plus you can winch all day long without overheating it 😱😅
• YES it’s heavy and YES it’s bulky, but…. 😉👍🏿💯%

I found mine used for 450.- Cdn $ and it’s been put to test more than once ☺️

Hope you find what you’re looking for

Merry Christmas to ya and your family

~•lllllll•~👋🏿

Reactions: derekmac
Srimes
Don’t get me wrong, Its not my intention putting the other models down, but I’m sold on the old fashioned WARN 8274

It’s a brute.

Fast, reliable and holds 150 feet of cable or rope, plus you can winch all day long without overheating it 😱😅
• YES it’s heavy and YES it’s bulky, but…. 😉👍🏿💯%

I found mine used for 450.- Cdn $ and it’s been put to test more than once ☺️

Hope you find what you’re looking for

Merry Christmas to ya and your family

~•lllllll•~👋🏿

I'd LOVE an 8274! I haven't seen a working one for less than $1200. If you find one priced like yours I'd gladly pay shipping!

Reactions: DETOUR
In good shape? How much for shipping to OR?
I have not put my hands on it but I do know the person selling it and can probably get my hands on it. From the pics I have seen it probably needs the brake gone through and some basic TLC. Shipping might be a bit high but if I shipped it without the wire rope would make a bit of a difference.

Not your intention, but the 8274 does that all on its own lol. My 8274 was built in 1985 and still has the original motor, and it's still going strong. I was built in 1982, and it's aging better than I am! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: DETOUR and Sancho
I'm shopping for a winch and it looks like I can get a warn if I stick with steel cable. There's a used, newer m8000 for $550 w/ wired and wireless controllers. Or I could get a newer VR 8 fro $590. What would you get?

View attachment 298074
Go for the M8000, the VR series are all imported from China. And for what brand-new M8000 winches sell for when they're on sale I'd go for a new one. The price on that used M8000 is too close to a new one@

Reactions: Irun
Winch is installed! What a fiddly-f_k task that was. Finally spooled the rope on last night!

Bumper extends past the winch plate so I had to use the offset hole in the fairlead, which exposed the upper part of the plate slot so I cut that off. I noticed a lot of plates are open top so I figure it'll be fine...

_Ydpz8e42eDssSWPaC_wybjGV=w1252-h938-no?authuser=0.jpg

RICLOMesqOlOcrBAvuIkbIflQ=w1252-h938-no?authuser=0.jpg

tkmfa0m4j8NGzmZn31BL8IS2F=w1252-h938-no?authuser=0.jpg

3 items left:
Hooking on the tow hook has the line barely touching the corner of the plate. I'll grind a radius there to knock down that edge.

I have a top and side post battery, the jeeps systems connect to top post and have a ground disconnect switch. Winch connects to side terminals and with direct connection grounds the battery to the frame, so I need to add another disconnect for the winch ground.

Need a winch cover! Any recommendations? Anyone make their own?

"The steel rollers on a conventional roller fairlead are not compatible to synthetic rope As they can cause chafing and abrasion. Most rope manufacturers recommend using an aluminum Hawse-type fairlead." Up to you.

• Haha
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
"If your rollers are new and without burrs and sharp edges, then they will not cause harm to synthetic rope fibers. We simply don’t like how far roller fairleads stick out as well as the weak steel frames that support the roller axles. One small impact to a roller fairlead and the entire assembly can easily twist. It really comes down to a personal preference on roller versus Hawse." Up to you.

"If your rollers are new and without burrs and sharp edges, then they will not cause harm to synthetic rope fibers. We simply don’t like how far roller fairleads stick out as well as the weak steel frames that support the roller axles. One small impact to a roller fairlead and the entire assembly can easily twist. It really comes down to a personal preference on roller versus Hawse." Up to you.

Who are you quoting?

I'm using the roller because it came with the winch and is better for rope than hawse as long as it isn't damaged. If I damage it I'll probably replace it with a hawse fairlead. The good ones are pretty pricey for something so simple. The cheap knockoffs I've seen online seem to have rather small radius.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford