Using LEDs in the front fender side-markers on a Jeep Wrangler TJ

Glad you got it working.

I'm surprised a 10 ohm resistor is enough to make a visual difference between parking and indicator. What are the specs of your LED?
Assuming 13.2V while running. The LEDs I used were rated at 1W, I found something on Amazon that looks like what's in your picture that says 2W.
The following is calculated using basic electrical equations V = i R & P = i V
V=voltage (in volts), i = current (in amps), R = resistance (in ohms), and P = power (in Watts)
View attachment 532146

It seems like a 10% change would be difficult to perceive. I grabbed this from google to help demonstrate what I mean. But heck, if yours is working, excellent.
View attachment 532147

Yeah, im surprised 10ohm works. Even 25ohm wouldn’t work. At 10ohm, I get about 40%-50% of a drop in brightness, matching the front blinkers perfectly.

My calculations to find the appropriate ohm, with a 50% drop, and 2watts LED (you are correct that they are two watts) off of my 12volts car battery, told me I should use a ~25ohm resistor, but even that was dropping it too much. At 25ohm, normal 5w halogen bulbs would drop about 50%, but not the LED’s. I also used 3w resistors in case I want to change my LED’s some day. Anyway, my LED’s were cheap amazon ones so I’ll assume the power rating isn’t accurate.

In any case, it works perfectly and looks awesome! I’m glad I was able to learn through this process! Thanks again

Reactions: mofsharick
Hello all.
After reading through the 6 pages here I’m pretty sure I’ve created my own turn signal lighting nightmare.
I recently added some LED taillight assemblies, LED headlights an EP27 LED flasher and these LED front turn signal and side markers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BMVN46QB?tag=wranglerorg-20

I had everything but the side markers installed as I was waiting for the Solution Finish to dry on the flares.
I’m almost positive everything was working correctly before installing the side markers.
Took the jeep out for its first trip since owning it and had all kinds of issues with the turn signals with the headlights on or off.
I’ve noticed most of you are having these issues when replacing the incandescent bulbs to LED’s but I’m assuming the LED assemblies can cause this issue as well.

So it looks like my options are to keep everything LED except for the side marker lights( go back to incandescent on those) and I should be good or make the patch cables.

Thanks
John

Hello all.
After reading through the 6 pages here I’m pretty sure I’ve created my own turn signal lighting nightmare.
I recently added some LED taillight assemblies, LED headlights an EP27 LED flasher and these LED front turn signal and side markers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BMVN46QB?tag=wranglerorg-20

I had everything but the side markers installed as I was waiting for the Solution Finish to dry on the flares.
I’m almost positive everything was working correctly before installing the side markers.
Took the jeep out for its first trip since owning it and had all kinds of issues with the turn signals with the headlights on or off.
I’ve noticed most of you are having these issues when replacing the incandescent bulbs to LED’s but I’m assuming the LED assemblies can cause this issue as well.

So it looks like my options are to keep everything LED except for the side marker lights( go back to incandescent on those) and I should be good or make the patch cables.

Thanks
John

First of all, EP27 is never correct. For your year you need an LM470 if it’s for the 2002 in your profile.

LED assemblies are going to do the same things as bulbs. The problem is not the side markets themselves. They are the ones that exhibit symptoms, but that’s because their wiring pulls from the front turn signals. They ground through the front turn signals. When the front turn signals are turned into LED, the side markers can no longer get the ground they need. The ground current used to flow through the bulb, but LEDs are diodes and so that can not happen anymore.

Do the diode resistor mod and you should be good to go.

First of all, EP27 is never correct. For your year you need an LM470 if it’s for the 2002 in your profile.

LED assemblies are going to do the same things as bulbs. The problem is not the side markets themselves. They are the ones that exhibit symptoms, but that’s because their wiring pulls from the front turn signals. They ground through the front turn signals. When the front turn signals are turned into LED, the side markers can no longer get the ground they need. The ground current used to flow through the bulb, but LEDs are diodes and so that can not happen anymore.

Do the diode resistor mod and you should be good to go.

Thanks Macho for responding.
I’m glad I found this thread as I was about to pull the trigger on a new multi function switch.
Just to confirm what you think I’ve got going on.
I just went out to the jeep and unplugged both led side markers and had this issue:
Turning left the lights blink as they should with the exception of the side markers which are unplugged.
Turning right all lights blink as if I have the hazards on except the side markers of course.

So I disconnected the front turns and side markers and the rears blink properly going left and right.
Only issue I have is the buzzing noise when I hit the hazards button which I’m assuming is due to the EP27 relay I have installed.

So are we still thinking the diode/resistor harness will fix the issue?
Also since electrical issues is obviously my criptonite, is anyone making or selling these patch cables?

Thanks again
John