Vendor Recommendations for Automatic Transmission Replacement

FadeToGray

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well the time has come to finally replace the automatic transmission in my 2005 Unlimited.

Been looking at units from Jasper, Moveras, and NuTech.

Just looking for something to work with the stock engine, no crazy horsepower mods planned for the future.

Any feedback on this brands, or other alternatives I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

What exactly is wrong with your present 42RLE? Sometimes problems with it are nothing more than the Transmission Control Module inside the PCM, which is common, and others it's nothing more than the ATF level is too low. What symptoms is it having?

It's not "holding gear" in the sense that I step on the gas and it feels like its in neutral.

Check engine light is on with the following ODB2 codes.
  • PO700
  • PO871
  • PO732
  • PO734
  • PO733
  • PO846
  • PO456
Figured it wasn't worth dumping money into trying to fix a transmission with 215K miles on it.

Take a look at etereman.com they are a larger scale reman operation and offer their products under different brand names at the large auto stores. O’Reilly sells their transmission under Power Torque Brand.

It's not "holding gear" in the sense that I step on the gas and it feels like its in neutral.

Check engine light is on with the following ODB2 codes.
  • PO700
  • PO871
  • PO732
  • PO734
  • PO733
  • PO846
  • PO456
Figured it wasn't worth dumping money into trying to fix a transmission with 215K miles on it.
@Wranglerfix what do you think? PCM problem?

And @FadeToGray you have already checked its ATF level while the engine is running right? 'Tis better to be slightly overfilled than underfilled even a small amount.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
@Wranglerfix what do you think? PCM problem?

And @FadeToGray you have already checked its ATF level while the engine is running right? 'Tis better to be slightly overfilled than underfilled even a small amount.

Yes the transmission fluid is all good. I was hoping that was the issue, but no luck :)

No manual transmission swap for me, need to stick with an automatic for many reasons.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Take the big picture perspective. If you buy from the internet, what will happen if you have an issue? Simple, you will pay more. See if you can find a reputable local shop and buy there, if possible. That way they can cover warranty issues easier.

0846 and 0871 leads back to pcm failure. The other codes code be wiring, shorts or a combination of both.

0846 and 0871 leads back to pcm failure. The other codes code be wiring, shorts or a combination of both.
Could a PCM/TCM failure or malfunction ever cause a transmission, filled to the proper level, to slip as described here? A slipping transmission in gear seems to me good evidence of mechanical damage.

Reactions: LJBean
I had bad pcm and bad trans. I went with bestbuy. I’ve got a couple years, not that miles on mine but I am satisfied. Their prices are a couple hundred more now than I paid but that is probably everywhere. They had best combo of price, warranty and no core fee. Check warranty language if you’re going to self install as many require a certified mechanic to install.

Reactions: pagrey
Yes the transmission fluid is all good. I was hoping that was the issue, but no luck :)

No manual transmission swap for me, need to stick with an automatic for many reasons.
What did you end up doing? I'm in a similar spot, 219,000, and mine is basically done with. I'm narrowing down my online choices currently...

What did you end up doing? I'm in a similar spot, 219,000, and mine is basically done with. I'm narrowing down my online choices currently...

I ended up going with a re-man transmission from Best Buy Transmissions.

They were great to deal with and don't charge a core fee up front as long as you return the core within a certain window.

Cost me $1,900 for the transmission and about $1,200 for my local shop to install it. Had it shipped from BB to my local shop directly.

One thing I didn't account for that may impact you is that Best Buy suggests a new radiator and new transmission lines. So those items plus labor to install them was another expense I had not accounted for, on top of the prices I mention above.

Last edited:
Reactions: pagrey
well I had the very same issues you describe….

it was a bad alternator, no kidding

this was on an XJ. There a bunch of 07xx codes. Would work and then randomly not work.

I ended up going with a re-man transmission from Best Buy Transmissions.

They were great to deal with and don't charge a core fee up front as long as you return the core within a certain window.

Cost me $1,900 for the transmission and about $1,200 for my local shop to install it. Had it shipped from BB to my local shop directly.

One thing I didn't account for that may impact you is that Best Buy suggests a new radiator and new transmission lines. So those items plus labor to install them was another expense I had not accounted for, on top of the prices I mention above.
Thanks for your input. How is the trans working for you? Anything disappointing or odd with the performance?

Thanks for your input. How is the trans working for you? Anything disappointing or odd with the performance?

Nothing so far, all seems to be great. But I will say I have not driven it a ton yet, maybe 150 miles.