Vent windows - anyone else miss them?

I installed these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W6LSDGO/?tag=wranglerorg-20

You can crack the windows when it's raining, roll them down partially without a lot of extra noise, leave them cracked to ventilate on a hot day when the top is on.
Don't love the look, but they are really functional and you get used to them.

View attachment 99621
I have the same, I love them. I always leave my windows cracked a few inches and never have to worry about rain or snow.

Also ..CJ owners .. was it really that awful looking out of the windshield for the rear passenger mirror? I've never driven I've, just curious. I understand those windshield frame mounted mirrors may vibrate at hwy speeds, not questioning that.

Not really, it's just something you get used to. Keeping the mirror head in position was a bigger annoyance because of the ornery ball stud retainer & screws.

Back in the 1990s I had no problems with my CJ mirrors. Having the passenger side one visible through the windshield seemed to be the exact correct place it could ever be. it was aimed just about perfect and was never in the way of the door or a close tree. Considering hat CJ was at least 15 years old I'd be surprised if the mirrors were original but I'd also be surprised if they were aftermarkets because they stayed in place no matter where it was being driven. I'm also not sure what to use to replace them but I've heard bad stuff about just about any replacements out there today.

We used to call them the A/C, they were in several of the vehicles we owned growing up.
I would love a set on my Jeep but it’s gets ridiculously humid here and feels like being blasted by a hair dryer. When I still had my Harley, it was a love/hate ride in the late summer.

Vent Windows.... Holy C#@P.... do I feel old. I was reading this & mentioned it to my nephew (who works with me) & he said he doesn't ever remember seeing a vehicle our family has owned having them.... OMG... I'm old now...

I remember, not my first vehicle purchase, but my first dealer vehicle purchase in 1989... it was a 1986 F250 with a Fisher Plow, no A/C.... wait it had Vent Windows (poor man's A/C).... I was just out of H.S. & decided to purchase it to go into contracting.... (Many years of delivering newspapers & working under age in the construction business helped pay for that truck.)

Vent windows were a God send prior to A/C being standard.... Man I miss that truck... (or maybe it is my youth)...

I grew up in New England. My parents did not own cars or homes with AC. It was considered unnecessary. Fan in the window for the house was the lap of luxury. We played outside rain, shine, and snow. I think earlier generations may have had hardier attitudes. We had less climate control in our daily lives. I did like the vent windows. You could direct a robust breeze right into your face. I now live in a blast furnace, AC is basic survival.

I sort of miss them. Had them in a few cars and trucks over the years. You can get a lot of wind going with them open all the way and use them as a defrost if the old thing wasn't working. I think we got spoiled now with how far cars have come along though.

I grew up in New England. My parents did not own cars or homes with AC. It was considered unnecessary. Fan in the window for the house was the lap of luxury. We played outside rain, shine, and snow. I think earlier generations may have had hardier attitudes. We had less climate control in our daily lives. I did like the vent windows. You could direct a robust breeze right into your face. I now live in a blast furnace, AC is basic survival.

Yup OMG... 7 kids (yes seven) so 9 of us in a four bedroom home in New England & never had A/C,, I was the first to ruin the family with a window A/C... (& i was number 6 out of the 7).... but I relish it... to provide something that my parents never had.. with money I earned.... #priceless.... do it again

Love the vent windows on my 95 YJ full doors. (early style)
3EDB6F69-7E79-4995-AF36-4C51F9306BDA.jpeg

I also miss them.. I had a 65 mustang and used them when I was young of course I had to cause no a/c. I currently have a bronco my son drives and he uses them all the time rather then run the a/c, which I think is pretty cool!

AB887C8A-257E-4FED-B441-47766AA2B202.png

Last edited:
I'm the same way. Don't run AC unless I absolutely have to. I also don't tend to recirculate the air with a/c on, I get a headache very quickly with that for some reason.

One of the reasons I bought a TJ is the ability to have fresh air flowing while driving. Even on the hottest of days, I'll take fresh air. I only run the AC periodically to keep the seals lubed but that's it.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Necro bump

I came upon this post as I was looking for vent windows retrofitting tips. I miss m vent windows. Had them in my beetles and my Jeeps. Miss them and would love to get full doors and do a conversion on them if YJ doors don't work out. I wonder what would it take to do a swap. Probably easier to get YJ doors and fit them on the TJ

Necro bump

I came upon this post as I was looking for vent windows retrofitting tips. I miss m vent windows. Had them in my beetles and my Jeeps. Miss them and would love to get full doors and do a conversion on them if YJ doors don't work out. I wonder what would it take to do a swap. Probably easier to get YJ doors and fit them on the TJ

I've been thinking about this for quite a while now and I wonder if putting the YJ windows in the TJ doors might be the easier way to go than modifying the YJ door latches. One of these days, if every, I may get off my ass and find out.

Reactions: Ephry73
Had a 72 K5 Blazer with vent windows. You could open the hood (no locks or inside latch) and get the metal piece that held the brake fluid reservoir top on, fish it through the vent window seal and release the latch and unlock it, then reach in and open the door. Worked on almost all trucks of that era. Great for all the times we locked keys in the truck when I has a high school kid.

I've been thinking about this for quite a while now and I wonder if putting the YJ windows in the TJ doors might be the easier way to go than modifying the YJ door latches. One of these days, if every, I may get off my ass and find out.
Only thing I can find. Not a bad deal if you can made the mods/ Upgrades. With no A/C vent windows are AWESOME to have and much quieter than the blower at full force.

If linking to this site is not allowed please delete link

YJ Doors on TJ

I *really* dislike having the windows open - and I'm pretty sure it was much better back in the days of wing windows because they deflected enough air from the main window so you didn't get that God awful buffeting. Best thing was the footwell vents in our '63 GMC. Slide those open and you got a huge burst of air without buffeting. You didn't even need A/C much of the time with that type of vent - I don't know why they were done away with, lots of trucks had them.

My dad had a '64 Lincoln Continental - with power wing windows!

If it weren’t for the vent windows and cowl vent in my 48 DeSoto, it would never come out of the garage during the summer.

Reactions: Zorba
CJ owners .. was it really that awful looking out of the windshield for the rear passenger mirror? I've never driven one, just curious. I understand those windshield frame mounted mirrors may vibrate at hwy speeds, not questioning that.

If you tightened the mirror bolts and used factory rather than aftermarket mirrors they didn't vibrate much.

The passenger side mirror wasn't particularly helpful no matter how it was adjusted, but you could pull it in all the way over the cowl so nothing on the trail could hit it.

Reactions: psrivats
My dad had a '64 Lincoln Continental - with power wing windows!

Did those "twist" out like regular wing windows? I bet they did. In the late 80s a friend of mine had a mid 70s Continental. It's vent windows were electric but they were just little triangles that rolled straight down into the door. I thought they were pretty weird and semi-useless.

Reactions: Zorba
Did those "twist" out like regular wing windows? I bet they did. In the late 80s a friend of mine had a mid 70s Continental. It's vent windows were electric but they were just little triangles that rolled straight down into the door. I thought they were pretty weird and semi-useless.
They did indeed do the twist! It was a convertible like JFK's, power top, power trunk to stow it in, the works.