Vented Hoods

My entire thought,since I'm a contractor, that engine is like an HVAC unit working in a hot attic . I just wondered if I was whacking up my little Tj by doing it .

I am not against the turbos , never had one , dont want one. I like simple.
I like a turbo diesel . Because diesels are sluggish.

I've always been a 258 then 4.0 fan .

What gearing with 33" works best , that may be where I'm off .I'm 4:10 .

Those cuts look extremely clean! Been thinking about have the shop do this because my hood has hail damage. I’m afraid my cuts wouldn’t look as good as yours and that would drive me nuts.
Thank you sir. I try to do things the right way. A good file will clean up the burs off the edge nice. It may be like cheating , I have been a custom knifemaker for 24 years now and that helps to have the right tools on hand. I have been in meta fabrication for 35 years now.

My wife , the self proclaimed Jeep stylist of the family , is shooting down the hood mod , man those look good.

My hood had i think its heat damage.It had small cracks in the paint mostly in the middle of the hood where its covered now. So it was gonna need painting if i didnt cut it out.

I installed day star hood latches, my hood never once fluttered. They were a great piece. My louvres didn't change anything about it either. I need to swap the louvres over to my new chopped hood still...
F4B22CF7-E53C-4FC8-846A-DBD168678DDB.jpeg

1EC39CF0-5831-463A-892F-503103966098.jpeg

5 speed manual , '03 Rubicon

If you do a lot of highway driving , 4.56 is probably the best gear set for your specific situation. If you don't do a lot of highway driving in the Jeep, I wouldn't be afraid to go as low as 4.88 or maybe even 5.13 if you really don't care about the highway. Gears will make a huge difference. I would worry about gearing before I worried about adding power to the 4.0L.

So if I go up and gearing it's going to make it pull better?

Like putting a larger sprocket on the back of a motorcycle?

So if I go up and gearing it's going to make it pull better?

Like putting a larger sprocket on the back of a motorcycle?
Yes that's a good analogy. Exact same principle.
Speaking of louvres I stumbled across these on eBay a couple months ago..
20180612_150304.jpg

These louvres are used, from a 98 Grand Cherokee. It was an impulse buy from eBay.
I bought them for looks primarily but also for heat relief during the brutal Texas summers :)

Last edited:
Awesome , I'm checking into gearing now

Love those louvres

Reactions: KCsTJ
So here is what I did. I wanted something not so massive, the one that looks covered on the passenger side was covered with a sealant to provide a little protection for the battery. other than that these were purely cosmetic.

jeep97-2.JPG

jeep97-3.JPG

jeep97-5.JPG

Reactions: Travis