Vibration at idle only after installing new rubber transmission mount

B&PDeel

Today I changed the oil, transmission fluid and transfer case fluid. So I decided to change the trans mount that bolts to the skid plate because of the age. No prior symptoms to warrant replacing. My tj is 95% asphalt driven with occasional gravel/dirt trail. After removing the mount to my surprise the rubber didn't look bad but the metal bracket that lies between the two pieces of rubber was pulled up and back towards one side with the side of bracket twisted out from the rubber. So, drove a few miles and noticed a vibration or shudder like feel when idle. Sounds like it's coming from around the dash. Vibration worsens when pulling out but completely vanishes once the Jeep goes into motion, same vibration while sitting stopped at a red light and just as soon as I pull out and begin to change gear, again no noise or vibration. Only when stopped, occurs while clutch is pressed or if in neutral. Do I need to just put back the old one and see if that helps. Im really stuck. Please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

IMG_20190810_134133230_BURST001.jpg

Well, it has something to do with changing the transmission mount out, but I wouldn't put that old one back in.

I would perhaps drive it like this for a while and see if it goes away once the new mount breaks in (which is highly possible).

I'd also make sure you tightened all the bolts to spec, and possibly put some grease on the rubber portion of the new mount just to see if that helps.

Well, it has something to do with changing the transmission mount out, but I wouldn't put that old one back in.

I would perhaps drive it like this for a while and see if it goes away once the new mount breaks in (which is highly possible).

I'd also make sure you tightened all the bolts to spec, and possibly put some grease on the rubber portion of the new mount just to see if that helps.
Thanks so much I will definitely do this. Again, I am blessed to have found this forum, you guys have really helped me. Sorry, for the late post, my wife and I work nights. Thanks again.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks so much I will definitely do this. Again, I am blessed to have found this forum, you guys have really helped me. Sorry, for the late post, my wife and I work nights. Thanks again.

Let us know how it goes. I'm glad you found the forum.

The forum tends to die down activity wise at night, but I suppose that's to be expected, as most people are in bed :) Either way, no need to apologize for the late post! (y)

And just for giggles check the motor mounts too. That twist may have come holding a MM that is loose. The twist could have been helping hold things down. A long shot, but a shot none the less.

Glad I found this post. I’m currently having the same issue, in the same boat, and going to loosen up all the bolts like suggested. Does anyone know the torque specs for the mounting bolts?

I tried to swap a napa mount in mine last week. Immediately removed it and installed my old mount. Same issue you experienced, terrible vibration at idle. Goes away soon as you get the engine spinning.

I left all my bolts loose, both the mount nuts and the skid plate bolts. Revved the engine a few times and even took on a short spin through my neighborhood. Figured after all that the drivetrain would be settled where it wanted to be. Torqued everything down, same vibration at idle.

Threw the OEM one back in and vibrations were gone. Mopar has a replacement out there, but it's $125. Anchor mount looks like a better option to try at $12-14.

I have the same issue with a $10 mount from Amazon. Its been a couple of months now and it has gotten better. The glovebox would vibrate loudly right after installation but no more.

I just changed my fluids and tranny mount and ran into the same problem. I'm glad I found this post. I was thinking it was my torque converter. I was going to call my transmission guy about this. Thanks for all the great info.

I was putting in a Savvy cable for the tcase last night and noticed the rubber in my tranny mount was torn so I ran to Autozone and grabbed a new Duralast one that was like $40. Same issue as you guys above. Dash vibrates like crazy when its at idle but as soon as I touch the throttle its gone and is fine while I am driving. I guess I will run it for a while and see if breaks in any.

I was putting in a Savvy cable for the tcase last night and noticed the rubber in my tranny mount was torn so I ran to Autozone and grabbed a new Duralast one that was like $40. Same issue as you guys above. Dash vibrates like crazy when its at idle but as soon as I touch the throttle its gone and is fine while I am driving. I guess I will run it for a while and see if breaks in any.
I have this after installing the Savvy TT (only with the AC on or when in gear holding the brake).

Does your vehicle vibrate even when the AC is off and when you are not in gear?

I have this after installing the Savvy TT (only with the AC on or when in gear holding the brake).

Does your vehicle vibrate even when the AC is off and when you are not in gear?
The AC doesn't matter. It doesn't do it as soon as I start the Jeep but once it warms up it's bad. It gets slightly better if I kick it in neutral.

Reactions: MikeE024
The AC doesn't matter. It doesn't do it as soon as I start the Jeep but once it warms up it's bad. It gets slightly better if I kick it in neutral.
Once warm, with the vehicle in gear while holding the brakes, do the vibes go away if you rev the engine to around 1000-1200 RPMs?

Once warm, with the vehicle in gear while holding the brakes, do the vibes go away if you rev the engine to around 1000-1200 RPMs?
It doesn’t even take to 1000rpms for it to go away. Literally as soon as I touch the throttle it’s gone. I think if I could raise the idle 100 rpm’s I wouldn’t have this issue.

It doesn’t even take to 1000rpms for it to go away. Literally as soon as I touch the throttle it’s gone. I think if I could raise the idle 100 rpm’s I wouldn’t have this issue.
I’m in the same boat, and I’ve changed many of the sensors that can cause idle problems.

I hope to remove the idle vibes by raising the idle (when AC is on or in reverse/neutral) with the HPtuners.